What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Robin Gourley

Old Timer

Coach
Great footballer and as tough as any we ever had including Kandos.

He had a great physique that admirably filled out the Big Red V jersey in a time when we had so many great footballers

So sad that our icons from that era are thinning out but his deeds will live on for many in this place.

Thanks for the memories Robin you were a great asset and ambassador to the club.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
RIP RG

How quickly the time passes us by. We rarely hear their name nowadays until something like this happens and the memories are triggered.

Shame that in our 100th year celebrations we aren't celebrating the players that made us what we are, instead we, the Board, are just focused on the now. Shame, that a great player, such as RG, shouldn't be reduced to a headline.

DynamicTed

Juniors
I remember in 1966, Robin Gourley coming on to replace an injured Barry Beath in the 2nd round match against a strong Newtown side at the SCG, such was our great depth. With Beath out for the season, Gourley was to finish the year partnering Kevin Ryan in the front row and, of course, running around the SCG celebrating yet another premiership. I couldn't understand how our celebrated officials then let him go at the age of 30, along with Ryan. These dunderheaded decisions cost the Saints a 12th successive premiership.

Gareth67

First Grade
I remember in 1966, Robin Gourley coming on to replace an injured Barry Beath in the 2nd round match against a strong Newtown side at the SCG, such was our great depth. With Beath out for the season, Gourley was to finish the year partnering Kevin Ryan in the front row and, of course, running around the SCG celebrating yet another premiership. I couldn't understand how our celebrated officials then let him go at the age of 30, along with Ryan. These dunderheaded decisions cost the Saints a 12th successive premiership.
They came so close very close 12 points to 11 .C2714A30-D29B-47E1-A2A9-BD1CD09F3C76.jpeg

Last edited:

DynamicTed

Juniors
They came so close very close 12 points to 11 .View attachment 51028
I remember the game well from my vantage point in the Sheridan Stand. Even when Langlands limped off and we were down to 12 men, it seemed inconceivable that we could actually lose. However, our front row was weak with Walsh playing out of position at prop and a tyro in
O'Hanlon playing tight head prop. Against an experienced scrummager in Ryan, we just couldn't get enough ball near their line. Again, letting Ryan go came back to bite us, fatally.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I remember the game well from my vantage point in the Sheridan Stand. Even when Langlands limped off and we were down to 12 men, it seemed inconceivable that we could actually lose. However, our front row was weak with Walsh playing out of position at prop and a tyro in
O'Hanlon playing tight head prop. Against an experienced scrummager in Ryan, we just couldn't get enough ball near their line. Again, letting Ryan go came back to bite us, fatally.
Col Pearce missing a Les Johns shepard in front of the Sheridan stand with a minute to go as well.. could have made it 13-12 to us…but think our time was up

Gareth67

First Grade

I watched the game on ABC , plus had the radio on with Tiger Black . The result was such a raw feeling for the supporters and more so the players , the end of a tremendous run .

But I do recall Tiger’s words when they had walked off the field “ And there they go with their heads held high , as the true champions they are . “

Before he said those words I was so miserable , but sometime later they gave me some comfort , as I realized that everything has a beginning and an ending and the Dragons time had come to a close , but they certainly gave so much enjoyment to their fans for just over 11 seasons - right up to the bitter end .

A epitaph for all the departed Dragons of the golden years . 😇

Last edited: