What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hooker 2022 and beyond

Mjab

Juniors
What are peoples thoughts on longer term hooking options

Macca is a solid defender but an absolute plodder otherwise and we will get nowhere with him long term
Cant remember a single good run or kick from him
Those continual barge over plays last week were ridiculous he couldnt even organise them well

McGuiness similar but did do occassional runs and kicks which were useful at times but he also a very limited defensive player in reality unlike some of the hookers others clubs have who are allround good hookers

Hunt will be half not hooker essentially so he isnt the option

We need to buy someone good and this needs to be a priority or we are Fked IMO

I know Clune is a generally poor defender but can he be trained to be a better one as he woukld be an OK option if his defence is improvable

What are others thoughts on this

stgeorge1

Juniors
What are peoples thoughts on longer term hooking options

Macca is a solid defender but an absolute plodder otherwise and we will get nowhere with him long term
Cant remember a single good run or kick from him
Those continual barge over plays last week were ridiculous he couldnt even organise them well

McGuiness similar but did do occassional runs and kicks which were useful at times but he also a very limited defensive player in reality unlike some of the hookers others clubs have who are allround good hookers

Hunt will be half not hooker essentially so he isnt the option

We need to buy someone good and this needs to be a priority or we are Fked IMO

I know Clune is a generally poor defender but can he be trained to be a better one as he woukld be an OK option if his defence is improvable

What are others thoughts on this
To late now to teach him to tackle

ChocOConnor

Juniors
We need a hooker now. AM is a solid defensive player but our lack of attack stems from a lack of variety from our dummy half. I’d like to see Clune but I think Mbye might be the one we should go for now. I know I may get abused about that but unless anyone has other suggestion right now he is the best bet. We need to play wider off the ruck but we can’t right now due to deficiencies from the ruck

Illusion

Bench
Glanville from the Cows ?
Connor Watson ?

we shouldnt have let Robson go should we
Any of these 2 would do me fine .... To be honest I would shift Hunt to 9 then look for a 7 that can organize and shut out a game ..... where we get that player not sure .....

Last edited:

Mjab

Juniors
We need a hooker now. AM is a solid defensive player but our lack of attack stems from a lack of variety from our dummy half. I’d like to see Clune but I think Mbye might be the one we should go for now. I know I may get abused about that but unless anyone has other suggestion right now he is the best bet. We need to play wider off the ruck but we can’t right now due to deficiencies from the ruck

Agree
Other teams know to expect nothing in attack from dummy half and so can easily target 1st off the ruck so our attack then struggles
We must get a better hooker and attack options or we will go nowhere

Macca is a solid defender but an absolute plodder otherwis
So why was he signed? Yes we do need someone like McGuiness for mine. His darts from dummy half were very tactically good. Often he'd surprise defenders with his speed off the mark. I also reckon his defense was more than respectable. His passing and kicking game was also passable.

So we want someone that is a gun defender, has the speed for quick darts from dummy half and can pass a clever ball to supports. and turn around a side with chip kicks behind the line. Anyone like that coming onto the market. Can we get Cam Smith to put off retirement for a last hurrah.

Dragons4Life

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
We definitely need a hooker who can dart in between defenders plus just taking a few steps forward from time to time like Cameron Smith. A hooker who can defend and do the extra kicking to not be bogged down in our half when the opposition do not expect it (maybe it will surprise our guys as well but at least we would then defend in the oppositions half).

The hooker should be able to pass both ways without any fuss.

I will be interested to see who we get as a back up. Hunt will be our 7 and Macca the 9 for the rest of this year and who knows what will happen in the new year.

To be honest I would shift Hunt to 9
Pleased I have an ally that agrees Hunt is not a half back. At least the kind of halves that have played for the Dragons since I was a boy. To me Hunt looks more at home at hooker doing his thing around the ruck, little chip kicks and taking on the line close to the whitewash. Now I see why the maroons always pick him there.

Dragons4Life

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Macca will be our main hooker in 2022. That said we are looking for a genuine #14. A player who can play hooker and fill in in different other positions when necessary.

I've said on the rumours thread that Kodi Nikorima would fill that role exceptionally well.

Failing that, a player such as Peachey or Watson could be beneficial. I just hope the rumour around Mbye is not true (but it has some wheels).

I'm sure Muhleisen will be moved into the DS next year (if not already), with a view to slowley introducing him to 1st grade inbthe latter half of next year. Based on performance then 2023 would be a resonable time to start Muhleisen with the back-up #14. I can't see Macca going on too far into 2023 imo.

Latest posts