What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

And Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide has begun its upgrade in preparation for the 2023 Womans World Cup.
This is the type of suburban stadium we should be looking at in Sydney - with maybe a slightly higher capacity.
The upgraded stadium image file was too large to load but can be seen in the article link.

View attachment 50385
Interesting coz I’d previously read/heard the capacity would go up to between 20-23k.

Re file… was it a concept design of the upgrades?

i couldn’t find it if so.. (was looking on mobile so maybe an oversight).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Stretching from beach to bush north of Brisbane, it's one of most loyal Coalition voting areas in the country — yet that voting record has not been enough to score the $20 million it needs for a major stadium expansion.
Its stadium only has grandstand seating for 1,050 people.
The Sunshine Coast Council has been working to change that for the past six years and has now secured almost all the funds it needs to pay for the $68 million project.
On top of the Sunshine Coast Council's own funding, it secured $11 million from philanthropists and a promise from Queensland's Labor state government.
The $11 million vanished after the 2021 Federal Budget, however as the federal government continued to refuse any funding for the project.

What they want to do:
The proposed expansion will boost the venue seating capacity to 11,618 with a total capacity of 16,618 via a new eastern grandstand with 8085 seats, expansion of the existing western grandstand to 3533 seats, from 1046, and retention of the southern and northern mounds to accommodate around 5000 spectators.

Proposed design:

Jamberoo

Juniors
Stretching from beach to bush north of Brisbane, it's one of most loyal Coalition voting areas in the country — yet that voting record has not been enough to score the $20 million it needs for a major stadium expansion.
Its stadium only has grandstand seating for 1,050 people.
The Sunshine Coast Council has been working to change that for the past six years and has now secured almost all the funds it needs to pay for the $68 million project.
On top of the Sunshine Coast Council's own funding, it secured $11 million from philanthropists and a promise from Queensland's Labor state government.
The $11 million vanished after the 2021 Federal Budget, however as the federal government continued to refuse any funding for the project.

What they want to do:
The proposed expansion will boost the venue seating capacity to 11,618 with a total capacity of 16,618 via a new eastern grandstand with 8085 seats, expansion of the existing western grandstand to 3533 seats, from 1046, and retention of the southern and northern mounds to accommodate around 5000 spectators.

Proposed design:
Perhaps it would be easier to get funding if there were some games going to be played there.

Diesel

Referee
Brisbane will be in line for a number of stadium upgrades leading into the 2032 Olympics. Might be a good time to rebuild the western stand at Suncorp and increase capacity to 60k.
Perry Park at Bowen Hills may be in line for a rectangle stadium for soccer/RL. Ballymore getting converted to a hockey field, Dolphins might get some more cash thrown at them for an upgrade of their stadium.

while some major grounds might be unavailable, exisiting boutiques grounds may get mini upgrades while these major grounds are not able to be used which benefits RL & Brisbane/SEQ

With the current global situation we’re in, spending on the Olympics won’t be as berserk as it once was so I’m not sure our game will benefit that much. My memory is vague but what did the Sydney Olympics do for league apart from a large, beige stadium? And that was when spending was insane.

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Juniors
With the current global situation we’re in, spending on the Olympics won’t be as berserk as it once was so I’m not sure our game will benefit that much. My memory is vague but what did the Sydney Olympics do for league apart from a large, beige stadium? And that was when spending was insane.
Canberra stadium was upgraded to its current state for the Sydney Games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
According to aus stadiums. Doesn’t look like much in that will benefit RL Other than an upgrade for Sunshine Coast, toowoomba and cairns stadiums For the football preliminary games.
Shame they didnt upgrade Redcliffe to 20k, if they win the expansion bid.

“the Brisbane Olympic bid will instead re-build the Gabba as a 50,000-capacity stadium to host the ceremonies and athletics - as announced on April 20. The warm-up track will be located at a park nearby.

Various new stadiums will be constructed, including the 15,000-capacity inner-city Brisbane Arena(first mooted in 2018), which will host swimming with a temporary pool beings constructed within the new arena, and the Brisbane Indoor Sports Centre, to host basketball. It's also proposed a new 10,000-capacity Chandler Indoor Sports Centre would replace the existing Chandler Arena to host gymnastics.

The traditional home of Queensland Rugby, Ballymore, would be transformed into a 15,000-capacity Hockey venue. Redevelopment work at the iconic stadium commenced in February to modernise its facilities.”

Last edited:
Canberra stadium was upgraded to its current state for the Sydney Games.
Yeh, didn’t think there was too much done for our game overall. I think we’ll see more relevant infrastructure spend on the women’s World Cup than we do with the olympics. I know we’re next to no chance but I’m hoping the women’s tournament will help us finally win the men’s WC. AAMI Park isn’t big enough by FIFA standards so we could end up with another but bigger, rectangular stadium in Melbourne as well as Perth and Adelaide. A second Suncorp If we don’t share hosting rights with NZ?

I’ve never seen soccer as a threat to RL and think we should get into bed with them to lobby government. With them playing in summer, we’d get year-round use of new stadia to justify spending.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The GABBA and that's about it
Theres a lot of stadia going to be built/upgraded, just none that really benefit NRL other than cairns and sunny coast.

The Gabba (rebuild, 50,000 capacity) – Athletics, Ceremonies
Brisbane Arena (new, 15,000) – Swimming, Water Polo
Brisbane Indoor Sports Centre (new, 12,000) – Basketball
Chandler Indoor Sports Centre (rebuild, 10,000) – Gymnastics
Ballymore Stadium (upgrade, 10,000) – Hockey
Moreton Bay Indoor Sports Centre (new, 7,000) – Boxing
Sunshine Coast Stadium (upgrade, 16,500) – Football (Preliminaries)
Sunshine Coast Indoor Sports Centre (new, 6,000) – Basketball (Preliminaries)
Barlow Park, Cairns (upgrade, 20,000) – Football (Preliminaries)
Clive Berghofer Stadium, Toowoomba (upgrade, 15,000) – Football (Preliminaries)

The game needs to get in there and find a way for Suncorp to be upgraded with all the money that'll be thrown around for the games.

Place will almost be 30 years old from the major redevelopment by the time the Games come around.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Toowoomba at 15k sounds like overkill unless they have at minimum a QLD Cup team to play out of there after the games.

The NRL should go hard at a Suncorp upgrade to 60k through a Western Stand upgrade.

Dolphin Oval should be an obvious one for Rugby 7's or Football prelims especially if the Dolphins are in the NRL and playing 1 to 2 games a year there.

The NRL need to use the legacy of the games angle hard with the QLD Govt in the lead up.

In other news - I'll be leaving town for a month when the games do roll around, what a nightmare.

horrie hastings

First Grade
In other news - I'll be leaving town for a month when the games do roll around, what a nightmare.

Had friends from Brisbane texting me last night saying your room is reserved for your Olympic visit in 2032, i texted back saying your house may need to be modified by then to accommodate my walking frame seeing it is still 11 years away, lol.

On another note Sydney was a fabulous place to be for the 2000 Olympics, the city was abuzz and everyone was nice to each other, was so proud of my city, i wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else at the time.

Diesel

Referee
I saw today a list of venues to be build/upgraded, majority were existing venues as expected but one listed Ipswich Stadium as existing, that could only be the North Ipswich Reserve where the Jets play

Latest posts