What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

I'm mixed on Gagai. We have a lot of young guys coming along but do lack experience. I'd hope he could be a mentor to the young guys.
He does have a good story. He has talked about how he'd do all nighters playing games until we got him committed to the game.

Dunno if we need both Mann and Gagai in the backline. Give the young guys a chance I reckon.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Watching our backs they need an outright leader. One thing Gags can do is talk. If Gagai can talk them into position then his job is half done.

Frederick

Staff member
So Fitzgibbon went to market, no-one wanted him (surprise surprise), so we're going to re-sign him because of who his daddy is?

Peak. Knights.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Woosh

Head Moderator
Anyone here got access to the Australian and able to post what Ready has written

Newcastle struck a major blow in the player market on Friday when they landed Dane Gagai — and they are far from finished.

Weekend Read understands the Knights are on the verge of retaining Lachlan Fitzgibbon for a further two years and have planned talks with utility Connor Watson for next week.

Fitzgibbon’s retention in particular saves the Knights a headache or two. He was dropped this week by coach Adam O’Brien and his manager Chris Orr had gone to market to explore whether he had any options in the NRL.

The response was apparently lukewarm. Yet Fitzgibbon was regarded as important signing for Newcastle for several reasons. One, he is a solid player who has been part of their squad for several years now.

Crucially, he was also a key retention because of his family’s longstanding relationship with the club. Fitzgibbon’s father Mark is the managing director of the club’s major sponsor, NIB.

He is also a former Newcastle board member and NIB’s support of the club is crucial to its financial success and stability. Talks with Lachlan were notably sensitive but the parties appear to have reached a palatable conclusion, much to the relief no doubt of Fitzgibbon and the Knights.

As for Watson, he made no secret of his disappointment with Newcastle’s original offer. He had begun personally calling coaches at other clubs to see if there were alternative options.

However, he is expected to sit down with the Knights later this week to thrash out a deal. Again, Watson’s future is a sensitive issue for the Knights. He is a quality player and a popular figure with supporters. He also has a close relationship with their biggest star — Kalyn Ponga.

Hence, the Knights desire to return to the table to try to strike a deal, having strengthened their ranks with the signing of Gagai for the next three seasons.

Gagai was in the sights of a handful of clubs but the Knights won the day with a lucrative contract and an opportunity to play a role in their work in the indigenous community.

Gagai informed Souths coach Wayne Bennett of his plans on the team bus on Friday, a blow not just to the Rabbitohs but also to their coach.

It was also a setback for the Brisbane Broncos, although Weekend Read understands they never got to the point of tabling an official offer to Gagai.

Despite the churn in their squad — big-money players Tevita Pangai Junior and Matt Lodge are among those who have already parted ways this season — they still didn’t have enough spare cash to make Gagai a suitable offer.

That left the Knights in the box seat and they swooped. As for Bennett, he is expected to join the 17th team as coach when it comes into the competition — either in 2023 or 2024 — and Gagai was a potential target. Not any more.

“He spent a lot of his career at Newcastle and he has some family there, I think he’s pretty happy to be going back.

I think he’s playing his best football at the moment. Each year I’ve been here he’s gotten better. When he left the Broncos they told him to leave. They had a whole lot of issues with him, they said, but honest to God I have never seen any of those issues," Bennett said.

I have never had a moment’s confrontation with him, nor has he ever been late for anything. He is a real pleasure to coach.”

Old dog

Juniors
If we lose King and Tuala I will feel sorry for them and the team including us. They have been 100% goers maybe lacking in outright ability but just compare this, Mann or Tuala, King or Fitzgibbon, the list could go on

Yosh

Coach
So basically the title lied and we are signing Fitzy because his dad is a big shot and Watson because he is Ponga's best mate. The Nepotism Knights!!

perverse

Referee
Crucially, he was also a key retention because of his family’s longstanding relationship with the club. Fitzgibbon’s father Mark is the managing director of the club’s major sponsor, NIB.

He is also a former Newcastle board member and NIB’s support of the club is crucial to its financial success and stability. Talks with Lachlan were notably sensitive but the parties appear to have reached a palatable conclusion, much to the relief no doubt of Fitzgibbon and the Knights.
f**k me, none of that better be true. Unbelievable. Flat out unacceptable. How pathetic for Fitz to know he's in the Knights squad because of daddy. How humiliating. Doesn't have to train hard or play well, always got a job because of daddy. Sad.