What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Yosh

Coach
Tuala seems too small and too slow compared to the better wingers out there. We could use Uate and Vuna right about now. Vuna would run the ball up like Webcke at times!

Jono078

Referee
God I loved Vuna - it looked like he was finally hitting his straps before heading off to Rugby.

Jake Mamo was meant to be a real speedster but he turned out to be slower than McManus after putting some muscle on.

Knight Tales

Juniors
It makes you ill when Panthers are that strong they consider Maika Sivo surplus to requirements. Imagine they kept him! He and To’o coming at you all day! That is some BS depth.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I remember that like it was yesterday. Happened right in front of me.

I miss Vuna 😞
Vuna would have to be one of the best athletes to have played for the club. I remember one year him and Uate scored 30+ tries between them. In a way it was a shame he had Aku and McManus in front of him because he was always third string but he could have been an absolute crowd favourite had he been a more regular starter.

aqua_duck

Coach
Finicane going to the Sharks.
Let’s see who we go for next.
I'm glad we we're the ones that threw 4 years at Finucane, that truly would've been disastrous. You'd think sharks would've learnt a lesson with big contracts for aging or injury prone players when they've literally wrote the book on it with Fifita, Graham, Moylan, and Dugan.

Yosh

Coach
Vuna would have to be one of the best athletes to have played for the club. I remember one year him and Uate scored 30+ tries between them. In a way it was a shame he had Aku and McManus in front of him because he was always third string but he could have been an absolute crowd favourite had he been a more regular starter.

I was such a fan of Vuna. If he played for a top club like the Storm he would have become a NRL cult legend. Had a massive smile on him as well.

Jono078

Referee
Wow I can't believe the Sharks have given Finucane a 4-year deal.

Seems like there's been some really poor club management and recruitment out there.

While I'm not over the moon with the Gagai deal I hardly think it's terrible. Then you look at other clubs and signing of Townsend and Finucane and I'm glad it's not us.

Even with our re-signings, most have been downgrades with perhaps the exception of Best and the Saifiti brothers and maybe Hunt.

Spot On

Coach
The Townsend contract at NQLD is a real head scratcher. Up there with giving Pearce a million a season.

Not many of our blokes deserve upgrades so no surprise a few have had to take a cut.

Jono078

Referee
Not many of our blokes deserve upgrades so no surprise a few have had to take a cut.
I think you missed my point of our club having turned the corner in this regard. In years past we would have given them upgrades for the sake of it.

Still not happy about Mann or potentially Fitz, but at the very least they're on reduced contracts, by all reports.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think you missed my point of our club having turned the corner in this regard. In years past we would have given them upgrades for the sake of it.

Still not happy about Mann or potentially Fitz, but at the very least they're on reduced contracts, by all reports.
Fitzy also comes with a major sponsor attached 🙄🙄

Woosh

Head Moderator
Connor Watson's future at the Newcastle Knights could hinge on a meeting with club officials in Brisbane next week with CEO Phil Gardner warning he has been offered a "take it or leave it" deal that won't be on the table forever. Recruitment boss Clint Zammet will sit down with the Knights utility star in a bid to escalate negotiations, with Watson told several weeks ago to test his worth on the open market after Newcastle's offer fell short of his expectations. Initially, he was personally ringing rival coaches because he doesn't have a manager but it's understood he is now being assisted by an agent. At this stage, it's unclear is Watson has attracted interest elsewhere and has any firm offers from rival clubs. One of the most popular players among teammates and Knights fans, Walson also has an ally in coach Adam O'Brien, who wants him to remain at the club. Watson has openly stated he is very keen to stay but it's now clear he will have to accept less than he believes he is worth to do so. Knights CEO Phil Gardner didn't mince words when we asked about the Watson negotiations. "We've only got so much money and we have made him the best offer we can so it's a simple situation for him - he either takes it or he leaves it," Gardner said. "The thing that I've also said to Connor is he needs to be careful as well. The longer he leaves it, there is always the possibility that same offer won't still be there if someone else comes along we may be interested in." Gardner shot down suggestions of a fan backlash if Watson was to depart. "I don't respond to petitions," he said. "I know the fans love Connor and so do we but there is a number and that's the number and that is it. There's a salary cap we to have to work to."

Knight Tales

Juniors
Gardner’s words are very aggressive given Conor has such a decent nature about him and has earned an upgrade. Why was this not said when Pearce was trying to force a long term deal? I think the club has another player in mind or why else mention it.

Jono078

Referee
Gardner’s words are very aggressive given Conor has such a decent nature about him and has earned an upgrade. Why was this not said when Pearce was trying to force a long term deal? I think the club has another player in mind or why else mention it.
It is very stern... But they let him go to market so why would you up your offer now if he found that there isn't interest in him like he thought?

Pearce did sign a reduced contract so I'm sure they did say it to him and not publicly.

And I disagree about Connor earning the upgrade. This is the first season he's really been able to go through so far without a significant enough injury, and we paid him a bit to get him here.

Yosh

Coach

Has he earned an upgrade? The club stood by him when he was injured and gave him a chance to redeem himself. Then gave him a chance to test the market so that Watson could what was best for himself.

I think the club have been more than fair with Watson. It's all been in good faith so I hope Connor resigns soon.

Spot On

Coach
It was a no brainer Pearce was going to have to take a huge pay cut. He’d been on massive overs since arriving. He is still on overs next season.

Klemmer, Frizzel, Pearce and Ponga are taking up close to 3.5 million.

How much have we given Gagai?

Upgrades have already been given to the twins.

Mann and Fitzy signed up.

Watson has finally come good but the timing of his contract negotiations may not be the greatest for him.

Last edited:

Loose Cannon

Bench
Mann and Fitzy signed up.

Watson has finally come good but the timing of his contract negotiations may not be the greatest for him.
Watson did himself no favours getting money he had failed to earn for 3 years, but I think we all would rather have current Watson and 2 second-tier scrubs on the books for x amount.

But in typical Knights fashion, we secure Alpha scrub without challenge, possibly Beta scrub without challenge, and might miss out on the only one worth retaining.

Gardner is having the last say and is pulling the strings.
If there's someone ultimately responsible for signing Mann and Fitz and risking losing Watson it's him.

Latest posts