What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Targets

cb4

First Grade
Another Prop is still being spoken to, a very good one.
I also hear we may have a chat with Paul Vaughan this week to gauge where he is at.
Luke Brooks is on the radar, as is a centre and a back up 9.
McInnes will start at 13 and will relieve Brailey, but the club is already feeling the pinch of not having a back up 9 to not put any pressure on him.

Special K

Coach
Monday boredom has struck so I will have a crack at things.

2022 GAINS Dale Finucane (Melbourne Storm, 2025), Nicho Hynes (Melbourne Storm, 2024), Cameron McInnes (St George Illawarra Dragons, 2025)

RE-SIGNED William Kennedy (2023), Matt Moylan (2022), Toby Rudolf (2024), Siosifa Talakai (2023), Connor Tracey (2024), Braydon Trindall (2023)

2022 LOSSES Shaun Johnson (New Zealand Warriors), Chad Townsend (North Queensland Cowboys)

OFF CONTRACT 2021 Will Chambers, Josh Dugan, Jackson Ferris, Mawene Hiroti, Nene Macdonald, Billy Magoulias, Kyle Paterson, Aiden Tolman, Daniel Vasquez, Aaron Woods, Bronson Xerri

Now take away SJ 800k, Dugan 800k, Woods 600k, Moylan 500k, Townsend 450k. Now add in Finucane 700k(given the last year is so low, prop it up for 1-3), Hynes 600k and McInnes 500k add up to be basically the same amount we are paying SJ and Dugan. Say we are -200k for those three vs losing the other two.

Now that still leaves the Townsend, Woods and Moylan savings approx 1.55m. Assume at a guess Rudolf(200k extra), Talakai(100k extra) and Kennedy(200k) raise their pays by a combined 500k which is paid for by the Moylan reduction. Tracey would have been given a bump but it wouldn't be crazy and Trindall is probably on the same sort of coin but lets say the two of them got an extra 75k combined. We still have around 975k from this bucket. Chambers and Tolman are on the minimum so I'd keep him around if they are keen as they wouldn't change the cap situation. The rest can walk but I can't imagine Ferris, Hiroti, Macdonald, Magoulias, Paterson, Vasquez free up much room. I'm assuming we have already spent the Xerri money in the gain three piss off SJ/Dugan situation above.

My numbers are rough based on media reports(plus I have not had a coffee so mistakes are surely there after a few whiskeys watching the boomers last night) and don't factor in the sliding scale contracts of those already on the books. We still have wriggle room but we also need to add a lot of depth unless we are bringing it up from within.

carinashark

First Grade
Tracy to super sub. He can cover so many spots. A very valuable player.
Williams at lock and Tieg at center. McInnes and BB at hooker.
I’m not sure about Tolman , and Woods has now decided to play but it’s not what we need.
Talakai gets better every game and really stepped up against the dogs.
Add Haynes and Finucane.

I also hear we may have a chat with Paul Vaughan this week to gauge where he is at.
McInnes will start at 13 and will relieve Brailey, but the club is already feeling the pinch of not having a back up 9 to not put any pressure on him.
cb4, any news if Tolman could get another one year deal from the Sharks. I have been pleasantly surprised with how he has performed this year. He’s a good value prop with a great work ethic.

Stake Removed

First Grade

2022 GAINS Dale Finucane (Melbourne Storm, 2025), Nicho Hynes (Melbourne Storm, 2024), Cameron McInnes (St George Illawarra Dragons, 2025)

RE-SIGNED William Kennedy (2023), Matt Moylan (2022), Toby Rudolf (2024), Siosifa Talakai (2023), Connor Tracey (2024), Braydon Trindall (2023)

2022 LOSSES Shaun Johnson (New Zealand Warriors), Chad Townsend (North Queensland Cowboys)

OFF CONTRACT 2021 Will Chambers, Josh Dugan, Jackson Ferris, Mawene Hiroti, Nene Macdonald, Billy Magoulias, Kyle Paterson, Aiden Tolman, Daniel Vasquez, Aaron Woods, Bronson Xerri

Now take away SJ 800k, Dugan 800k, Woods 600k, Moylan 500k, Townsend 450k. Now add in Finucane 700k(given the last year is so low, prop it up for 1-3), Hynes 600k and McInnes 500k add up to be basically the same amount we are paying SJ and Dugan. Say we are -200k for those three vs losing the other two.

Now that still leaves the Townsend, Woods and Moylan savings approx 1.55m. Assume at a guess Rudolf(200k extra), Talakai(100k extra) and Kennedy(200k) raise their pays by a combined 500k which is paid for by the Moylan reduction. Tracey would have been given a bump but it wouldn't be crazy and Trindall is probably on the same sort of coin but lets say the two of them got an extra 75k combined. We still have around 975k from this bucket. Chambers and Tolman are on the minimum so I'd keep him around if they are keen as they wouldn't change the cap situation. The rest can walk but I can't imagine Ferris, Hiroti, Macdonald, Magoulias, Paterson, Vasquez free up much room. I'm assuming we have already spent the Xerri money in the gain three piss off SJ/Dugan situation above.

My numbers are rough based on media reports(plus I have not had a coffee so mistakes are surely there after a few whiskeys watching the boomers last night) and don't factor in the sliding scale contracts of those already on the books. We still have wriggle room but we also need to add a lot of depth unless we are bringing it up from within.
Fifita & Graham are potential wild cards here.
If either one medically retires before November 1, we get that money for 2022 cap.
On Fifita if he stays if we can move him on and even pay $400k of his $800k, we could pick up a value prop. Tigers we have a player you need one

Ozzi_78

First Grade
With the way recruitment has gone neither of those 2 will want to be anywhere but at sharks.

Graham is a keep imo but I get why he needs to be careful.

Wouldn’t it be beneficial for either Fifita or Graham or both to stay on our books next year so we can have another red hot go at the player market.

Rome was not built in a day.

Inferno

Coach
Klemmer?

bmaccc

Juniors
Is the prop currently contracted elsewhere for 2022?

bmaccc

Juniors

My gut feel is the contract bumps are probably a little higher than listed here but overall pretty good.

Eg. Reports were the Rudolf/Kennedy deal this year was $2.5m across 5 total years, so circa 500k each. If that's correct, for a 200k bump they'd need to be on 300k previously.

When Kennedy signed his previous deal he was far from his 2021 form and had 11 first grade appearances to his name so I feel like he would've been offered 150ish, and then upgraded to circa 450 this year

imasharkie

Coach

Whats wrong with Ferris???

Frenzy.

Immortal

Interesting that the Storm has picked up Jets player Bronson Garlick as their back up 9. I don't rate him but will be interested in how or if he develops

Cb4, is the centre we are looking at Tesi Niu From the Broncos?

Fox Sports reporting that the Broncos are struggling to keep him and there is interest from rival NRL Clubs.