What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Best Friends

Old Timer

Coach
To one and all,

I'm sitting at my keyboard with a heavy heart and half cut and I hope people understand the sentiment of my post.

Today we lost our beloved "Brave and Noble Wonder Dog Patch" catastrophic to say the least.

Unfortunately the time had come to make a call on his wonderful career as a loved and trusted family member and our sense of loss is beyond belief.

He like many in this place had some ongoing issues which he dealt with day by day without complaint and with total love for his family but this morning was different and he let us know it was time to make a call.

It wasn't a question of money or us trying to tough it out for our own benefit it was a matter of what mattered for a family member and let me share with you that was incredibly difficult but I am glad with the help of our trusted family vets we made the right call.

I would like to dedicate this thread to the wonderful pets we have all had and I truly hope to see many photos and responses on those wonderful friends we have had in our lives over all these years as we are all the better for their contribution in our daily lives.

In later years Patchy hated when the Dragons played as my yelling and screaming would mean he looked for a safe haven until the game was over butI am sure he was far more tolerant in 2009 - 2011.

Like so many no matter how bad his day was he always had a wag of the tail and the warmest of greetings for the entire family and he could read all our moods and react accordingly.

To watch him with his / our elderly mothers / grand mothers was just beautiful as he knew they were frail and he adjusted his behaviour to suit the people involved.

As I said I truly hope that people respond and in a manner that acknowledges the contributions our pets make to our lives on a daily basis.

IMG_1510.jpg

My two best mates bar none.

Old Timer

Coach
Lost my two mates in the last nine months so I know exactly how you feel pal.
CC
View attachment 51358
Hi CC,
Beautiful looking dogs and no doubt you have lots of wonderful memories.

If only we could return what they truly give to us

As my dear old dad said "the more i see of people the more I love my dog" and IMO the protests the other day are testimony to that.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Young Fang.jpg

Here's my best mate in happier times. We rescued him from the pound and had 14 good years with him. Like OT we had to make a difficult choice with heavy hearts.

After he passed on I had a long chat with a deeply religious friend of mine. I told him a good dog like Fang would go to doggie-heaven. Had he been a bad dog, a cur, he would have gone to curgatory. This just got me a lecture about how there is no curgatory, there never was a curgatory, and the catholics are wrong in their belief of curgatory. Maybe so but I'm sure the Pope would have understood the joke.

Old Timer

Coach
Feel for you OT. I’m a big pooch lover and my Labrador X Mastiff is more than part of the family and no matter how shit the day has been he’ll always put a smile on my face when I walk in the door. God bless these dogs, loyal to the very end. Chin up mate
Come on champion post a photo.
Sad times OT. Our pets give us so much joy. It's a hard call your family has had to make but no doubt the right one.
Come on my old friend a photo would be really nice.

Old Timer

Coach
View attachment 51363

Here's my best mate in happier times. We rescued him from the pound and had 14 good years with him. Like OT we had to make a difficult choice with heavy hearts.

After he passed on I had a long chat with a deeply religious friend of mine. I told him a good dog like Fang would go to doggie-heaven. Had he been a bad dog, a cur, he would have gone to curgatory. This just got me a lecture about how there is no curgatory, there never was a curgatory, and the catholics are wrong in their belief of curgatory. Maybe so but I'm sure the Pope would have understood the joke.
Our boy was from Broken Hill and about to get the needle just on 13.5 year ago but we rescued him into a life of love and contentment.

I had a home made Pastie for dinner tonight and truly missed giving a morsel to our brave and noble wonder dog who would have had his head resting on my thigh patiently waiting for his tid bit.

I often asked him if the world was coming to an end and that considering that I always shared all my last morsels with him would he share his last doggy kibble with me and I have to say the answer was well we all know the truth to that don't we.

Old Timer

Coach
View attachment 51363

Beautiful looking puppy I'm sure he had a wonderful life with you guys.
Hard to know where the years actually go.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
To one and all,

I'm sitting at my keyboard with a heavy heart and half cut and I hope people understand the sentiment of my post.

Today we lost our beloved "Brave and Noble Wonder Dog Patch" catastrophic to say the least.

Unfortunately the time had come to make a call on his wonderful career as a loved and trusted family member and our sense of loss is beyond belief.

He like many in this place had some ongoing issues which he dealt with day by day without complaint and with total love for his family but this morning was different and he let us know it was time to make a call.

It wasn't a question of money or us trying to tough it out for our own benefit it was a matter of what mattered for a family member and let me share with you that was incredibly difficult but I am glad with the help of our trusted family vets we made the right call.

I would like to dedicate this thread to the wonderful pets we have all had and I truly hope to see many photos and responses on those wonderful friends we have had in our lives over all these years as we are all the better for their contribution in our daily lives.

In later years Patchy hated when the Dragons played as my yelling and screaming would mean he looked for a safe haven until the game was over butI am sure he was far more tolerant in 2009 - 2011.

Like so many no matter how bad his day was he always had a wag of the tail and the warmest of greetings for the entire family and he could read all our moods and react accordingly.

To watch him with his / our elderly mothers / grand mothers was just beautiful as he knew they were frail and he adjusted his behaviour to suit the people involved.

As I said I truly hope that people respond and in a manner that acknowledges the contributions our pets make to our lives on a daily basis.

View attachment 51357

My two best mates bar none.
OT, growing up on a property with lots of animals around my Old Man always said that if you truly love your pets then you will do the right thing at the right time if they are in distress.

We always had work dogs around and they were a little different to pets, but the house dogs we had do become part of the family and when it was time to say goodbye it was with a heavy heart. I remember Dad putting down one of our beloved Pups (Pepi) one evening. It was just his time and Dad took him on a lead about 500 meters from the house with a .22 and that lonely gun shot was like a bolt to your heart. It had to be done but a real silence took over the house for a day or so.

So mate, feeling for you folks.

Old Timer

Coach
View attachment 51371

That's all I can say. Pets mean so much to me and their absence truly effects me greatly. OT I feel for you mate.
That is really wonderful my old friend

The sad reality is that we outlive those that selflessly contribute so much without hesitation

I have been so blessed in my life with Rusty, Bluey, Rex, Roy, Twopence and Patch and I remember and miss them all

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
So OT, my wife buys a new dog last year, and wait for it, she gets a Toy Cavoodle. I'm shaking my head because we've always had big dogs that you could really give a firm bloody pat on the flanks. Fast forward to last Saturday and I'm BBQ'ing, having a bourbon and the dog is sitting up at the table with me, chewing lamb chop bones and her and I are having a great old chat about the day. She's spunky as hell, huge personality and has wormed her way right into my heart. So now I walk around the neighbourhood with my female Toy Cavoodle, chatting to her and looking like a real dandy; and I couldn't care less!

Dragon David

First Grade
I am truly sorry that you had to put Patch down. I can see that you have had 6 dogs in your life which I am sure you and you family loved and treasured every moment that you had with them.

We, being my wife and two sons and partner had to put our silky terrier Milo down in 2018 which was so sad. He was 15 at the time and was poorly. We were broken hearted.

We now have a beautiful, loving, adorable Cavoodle named George after Saint George of course. He is 2 and is very loved.

To all of the pets be they dogs, cats or rabbits and so on, you bring us happiness beyond belief and we will cherish you forever.

Take care all.