What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia and New Zealand withdraw from RLWC

mikail-eagle

Bench
Fiji have today named an extended squad that includes NRL Players.

With plans to confirm the squad in two weeks, the Bati management has let the extended squad know, they have until this Friday to confirm their participation in the World Cup.

NRL players in the squad includesMaika Sivo, Semi Valemei, Isaac Lumelume,Mikaele Ravalawa,Waqa Blake,Taane Milne,Braydon Wakeham,Apisai Koroisau,Sitiveni Moceidreke,Tariq Sims,Viliame Kikau,Jacob and Daniel Saifiti,Tui Kamikamica and Kane Evans.

Also included are Super League players Kevin Naiqama, Korbin Sims and King Vuniyayawa.

Pacific Games captain Luke Nadurutalo, Jordan Leiu, Lamar Liolevave, Kurt Donoghoe and Joe Lovodua make up the rest of the squad

Rugby League World Cup organizers, earlier last Friday have also contacted players including those eligible to play for Australia and New Zealand to correct any misinformation about the safety of the tournament that will kick-off on October 23.

Players have also been given the opportunity to voice their opinion and appetite for participating in the World Cup using a player survey.

Gomersall

Juniors
Fiji have today named an extended squad that includes NRL Players.

With plans to confirm the squad in two weeks, the Bati management has let the extended squad know, they have until this Friday to confirm their participation in the World Cup.

NRL players in the squad includesMaika Sivo, Semi Valemei, Isaac Lumelume,Mikaele Ravalawa,Waqa Blake,Taane Milne,Braydon Wakeham,Apisai Koroisau,Sitiveni Moceidreke,Tariq Sims,Viliame Kikau,Jacob and Daniel Saifiti,Tui Kamikamica and Kane Evans.

Also included are Super League players Kevin Naiqama, Korbin Sims and King Vuniyayawa.

Pacific Games captain Luke Nadurutalo, Jordan Leiu, Lamar Liolevave, Kurt Donoghoe and Joe Lovodua make up the rest of the squad

Rugby League World Cup organizers, earlier last Friday have also contacted players including those eligible to play for Australia and New Zealand to correct any misinformation about the safety of the tournament that will kick-off on October 23.

Players have also been given the opportunity to voice their opinion and appetite for participating in the World Cup using a player survey.
Great. Now we might get a response from the NRL clubs affected either blocking the players or stepping aside. Then at least we know where we stand.

Eric F

Juniors
If the WC goes ahead without Australia and NZ, it'll be meaningless for whoever wins. I hate to see this, but postponing it till 2022 look's like the only real option. Besides, maybe 2 or 3 England players will have breakout seasons and give the squad a chance, i,e Newman, Welsby, Broadbent, Farnworth, Holroyd ?

FearTheVee!

Juniors
If the WC goes ahead without Australia and NZ, it'll be meaningless for whoever wins. I hate to see this, but postponing it till 2022 look's like the only real option. Besides, maybe 2 or 3 England players will have breakout seasons and give the squad a chance, i,e Newman, Welsby, Broadbent, Farnworth, Holroyd ?

It won't be meaningless at all. It will be a celebration of the sport and the nations and players who wanted to stand up and represent in the face of adversity (and in doing so might just have saved a number of those nations from financial oblivion).

What will be meaningless is the noises out of Oz/NZ belittling the competition and in doing so the nations who have worked towards the world cup for years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If anything this one could have more meaning than any other; players standing up to their pay masters, overcoming a global pandemic to get it on, much closer compeition etc. I wouldnt care if Aus and NZ arent in it, they arent the be all and end all of world RL. I just hope the Englisgh fans get behind it if it goes ahead and reward the brave decison by the organisers to play it. The soft option would be to delay it but who knows hwat happens next year and what cost to change it now. Tonga v Eng semi at last RLWC was the game of the tournament, if we get that for the 2021RLWC final I wouldnt care one bit that Aus or NZ arent there!

RedVee

First Grade
Yes I just hope the NRL players support it and put their hand up for selection. Some of the better games are those that feature two other countriesother than Australia, that may be closer in standard.
That’s the beauty of RL a game between two evenly matched teams can be very entertaining no matter the level

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh apart from the final some of the most boring games at last RLWC where the ones where Australia walked them in second gear. Its a real shame NZRL didnt have the balls to stand up to Vlandys, a comp with them in it as well would have been even better and taken it to 3-4 sides that could win it realistically.

Report on Radio 5 the other day saying that the Ashes might be postponed. I'm a celebrity is not going to Oz again this year. As I've said before, the RLWC should be played over 4 years as it was in the 80's.

KennySterling

Juniors
Stop with your endless repetition. Talk about a stuck record !

We don't want any more long-winded World Cups lasting 4 years. They need to be condensed & attention-grabbing....as they are in other sports !

1985-88 and 1989-92 was more than enough over 4-year periods and only fanatics can remember their inevitable conclusion (Australia winning at Eden Park v NZ in '88 and Wembley v GB in '92).

FearTheVee!

Juniors
Report on Radio 5 the other day saying that the Ashes might be postponed. I'm a celebrity is not going to Oz again this year. As I've said before, the RLWC should be played over 4 years as it was in the 80's.
So travel to Oz may be cancelled whilst they play hide and seek for a few years. What about travel to the UK, any precedent for athletes visiting in 2021?

As for a 4 year world cup - it's so inane that it's clear you're just a wind up merchant.

Latest posts