What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Imo, with his history, he should have been offered a one year deal only with the clear message- improve your discipline or look for another club. The fact he was offered a 2 year deal tells me that Haran and Millward do not believe we are competitive for quality, aggressive, backrow forwards like the Nathan Browns of this world.
I thought I read somewhere that the second year of the contract was a club option?

denis preston

First Grade
I'm old enough to remember when Tallis burst onto the scene with the Dragons and the "wow" feeling I had watching him go in the lower grades- never had remotely the same feeling with either Host or Ford, and while it would be convenient to blame it all on Mary and our pathways program, I doubt either player has much innate x factor. Host has improved with Souths but that's from a low base here.
I remember Rod Reddy's first game in firsts at 17. He had a blinder and made the front page of rugby league week where they compared him as the new Sticks Provan !

denis preston

First Grade
Ain't that the truth. We have cap space and need to use it in at least two of the areas you have identified. Big time game breaking players. We don't yet have enough star quality in certain positions to lift the lesser players in the squad. I'm done hoping and praying.

Hit.
The.
Market.
Probably right but contract value at times doesn't determine value so we have to be circumspect. Remember Norman, Moylan, Dugan, Taylor, etc, etc.

redv13

Bench
I'm old enough to remember when Tallis burst onto the scene with the Dragons and the "wow" feeling I had watching him go in the lower grades- never had remotely the same feeling with either Host or Ford, and while it would be convenient to blame it all on Mary and our pathways program, I doubt either player has much innate x factor. Host has improved with Souths but that's from a low base here.
Mate how good was Tallis when he hit the scene!!! I remember a game vs the Auckland Warriors at Mt Smart in 1995 when he literally destroyed them and scored an 80 metre try. Unstoppable!! That try will live in my memory for life

denis preston

First Grade
I have lot of respect for Hornby , but honestly no more ex players in the coaching ranks for a while ..... That is what got us into the mess we are in .....
Spot on !! Based on one play he put on , pleeesse. As much as i hated what Mcwrecker did to the club , his two amigos not standing up to him and just sitting back to collect their wage shows they were just as clueless.

denis preston

First Grade
Imo, with his history, he should have been offered a one year deal only with the clear message- improve your discipline or look for another club. The fact he was offered a 2 year deal tells me that Haran and Millward do not believe we are competitive for quality, aggressive, backrow forwards like the Nathan Browns of this world.
Isn't the second year in our favour ?

Unsainty79

Juniors
Possm, hope you're well off the mark, but suspect you're not. If we want to reinvigorate the coaching ranks then Ben Hornby is the "one". He has gone off to a successful program and is understudy to a master coach and a decent assistant coach. As for the next "special one" Dean Young, well he has gone off to be the understudy of the fabulously credentialed.....(drum roll) TODDY PAYTON!!!! And aren't Toddy and Deano doing a super duper job up at Townsville?

If Dean Young is fair dinkum (and I suspect he spat the dummy last season by not being appointed as head coach - Earth to Dean...you were part of the coaching problem for the last several years mate); then he should have sort out positions with the Chooks, Storm, Rabbits etc. Interesting that none of those teams sort Deano out to be an assistant coach at their clubs.

And this surely is another reason that Craig Young has to go. We are all living in fairly land if we don't think Fat Alberts last gift to us will be his son Dean. That would finish me. Imagine having Dean Young as our coach is say 2023/24, after 4 successful seasons under McGregor followed by 2 cracking season under Payten. What a resume that is!

Agree, not doing so great in Townsville. I don't think anyone expected the Cowboys to do much this year in fairness, though. They both signed 3 year deals, so I guess judgement should be reserved until mid to end next year.

You are wrong about Young senior - He is not part of staff or player recruitment sub-committee. His role is the on the board (other than general governance) is the finance sub-committee & he also looks after compliance. After all, the money comes from St George. I think you'd find the Gordon's hold a lot of power in regards to staff and player retention. Remember Young Sr was the only member of the coaching and recruitment staff that Bennett kept.

I am not sure how you've come to the opinion that Hornby is "the one" - because he went to Souths? How could you possibly quantify what he has done there? Just because South's have been in the finals? I would argue, Souths have under-achieved given their squad, if anything; however, in fairness, there is nothing to suggest this is Hornby's doing obviously.

The problem for clubs when they've been so unsuccessful for so many years, failure becomes a habit. I have no problem with us signing Griffin - I think we needed an outsider & all of his staff are also outsiders. What would be nice though is for Griffin to come an say what his plan is - while he has blooded juniors, he keeps on picking some of the old-timers who are evidently under-performing.

I am baffled as to why we seem to have an obsession with getting in the top 8 this year. We have no chance of doing anything of note in the finals, the team is so far off the top 5 it's not funny. What I would accept & I think some of the fan base would as well is if Griffin and the club said that our goal is to blood juniors and rely extensively on our pathways over the next 2-3 years. Sure we may not challenge in the next 1-2 years, but eventually, we'd be keeping and playing more & more of our juniors - not too dissimilar from Penrith.

It beggars belief that our squad isn't made up of at least 80% of local juniors, or players that have come through our junior system. I mean, look at the geography of the region.

Dragon David

First Grade
Good points Unsainty79.

I agree that Griffin should let us know what his plan has been and what is planned going forward after this year particularly with the blooding of the juniors. Hopefully he knows himself what that is.

TruSaint

Referee
Agree, not doing so great in Townsville. I don't think anyone expected the Cowboys to do much this year in fairness, though. They both signed 3 year deals, so I guess judgement should be reserved until mid to end next year.

You are wrong about Young senior - He is not part of staff or player recruitment sub-committee. His role is the on the board (other than general governance) is the finance sub-committee & he also looks after compliance. After all, the money comes from St George. I think you'd find the Gordon's hold a lot of power in regards to staff and player retention. Remember Young Sr was the only member of the coaching and recruitment staff that Bennett kept.

I am not sure how you've come to the opinion that Hornby is "the one" - because he went to Souths? How could you possibly quantify what he has done there? Just because South's have been in the finals? I would argue, Souths have under-achieved given their squad, if anything; however, in fairness, there is nothing to suggest this is Hornby's doing obviously.

The problem for clubs when they've been so unsuccessful for so many years, failure becomes a habit. I have no problem with us signing Griffin - I think we needed an outsider & all of his staff are also outsiders. What would be nice though is for Griffin to come an say what his plan is - while he has blooded juniors, he keeps on picking some of the old-timers who are evidently under-performing.

I am baffled as to why we seem to have an obsession with getting in the top 8 this year. We have no chance of doing anything of note in the finals, the team is so far off the top 5 it's not funny. What I would accept & I think some of the fan base would as well is if Griffin and the club said that our goal is to blood juniors and rely extensively on our pathways over the next 2-3 years. Sure we may not challenge in the next 1-2 years, but eventually, we'd be keeping and playing more & more of our juniors - not too dissimilar from Penrith.

It beggars belief that our squad isn't made up of at least 80% of local juniors, or players that have come through our junior system. I mean, look at the geography of the region.

I enjoyed your post and agree with the overall sentiment. Some good points.

I would disagree though with your second last paragraph.

Whilst everyone knows that the bottom teams in the 8 have zero chance of making an impact, it still should be the aim. For many reasons.

Revenue
Future recruits
Membership
Brand exposure

And most importantly, Finals experience for the players.

Aiming for a top 8 spot in a 16 team competition should be the bare minimum.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors

A measured response. Thanks mate. I had the temerity last week to disagree with a Member on the forum about Zac Lomax and he became weird. We are all allowed to express our opinions without copping rubbish back.

I hear what you say about Craig Young, but find it hard to believe he does not hold significant power, even if he does not sit on the respective committee. He has been around since the late 70's. He is a powerful figure and I still hold the view that he holds aspirations for his son to coach the Dragons.

As for my view on Hornby, my intent is that he is in a superior system, with vastly superior mentors. Further he was a premiership winning captain, so he would know a thing or two about leadership. Now weather that translates to being a decent 1st grade coach, time will tell. If I had a choice right now between Hornby and Young, I know who I would take.

I also think it says something about Young Junior that he was not tapped for an assistants job at one of the big clubs. But again, I could be wrong. Deano needs to rid himself of the McGregor stench, and perhaps that is why he ended up at FNQ; to get physical distance as much as anything else.

In terms of Griffin, I think we have done him and us a disservice with a 2 year contract (albeit with an option for another year). This puts immediate pressure to get results, like now! It is within this context that I believe he has made certain repetitive selections. Saying that I am baffled with the continued selection of Norman, and by Griffin's apparent desire to resign him. Norman is an absolute dud and a grub.

I think Griffin is taking a measure approach with the kids, but I don't know why Sloan is "in and then out". I find that strange.

On another matter re juniors, where are the young Pigs? We seem to have a plethora of promising backs, but where are the 110KG young forwards from the region?

Dragon David

First Grade
I enjoyed your post and agree with the overall sentiment. Some good points.

I would disagree though with your second last paragraph.

Whilst everyone knows that the bottom teams in the 8 have zero chance of making an impact, it still should be the aim. For many reasons.

Revenue
Future recruits
Membership
Brand exposure

And most importantly, Finals experience for the players.

Aiming for a top 8 spot in a 16 team competition should be the bare minimum.
Yes agreed. There always has to be a goal and train/play to achieve that goal. I am sure all clubs would be trying their utmost to reach top 8 status every year and while Griffin is "new" at our club, I am sure he has aimed to achieve that status even for this year for his own satisfaction, but we know it has come to nought.

Dragon David

First Grade
A measured response. Thanks mate. I had the temerity last week to disagree with a Member on the forum about Zac Lomax and he became weird. We are all allowed to express our opinions without copping rubbish back.

I hear what you say about Craig Young, but find it hard to believe he does not hold significant power, even if he does not sit on the respective committee. He has been around since the late 70's. He is a powerful figure and I still hold the view that he holds aspirations for his son to coach the Dragons.

As for my view on Hornby, my intent is that he is in a superior system, with vastly superior mentors. Further he was a premiership winning captain, so he would know a thing or two about leadership. Now weather that translates to being a decent 1st grade coach, time will tell. If I had a choice right now between Hornby and Young, I know who I would take.

I also think it says something about Young Junior that he was not tapped for an assistants job at one of the big clubs. But again, I could be wrong. Deano needs to rid himself of the McGregor stench, and perhaps that is why he ended up at FNQ; to get physical distance as much as anything else.

In terms of Griffin, I think we have done him and us a disservice with a 2 year contract (albeit with an option for another year). This puts immediate pressure to get results, like now! It is within this context that I believe he has made certain repetitive selections. Saying that I am baffled with the continued selection of Norman, and by Griffin's apparent desire to resign him. Norman is an absolute dud and a grub.

I think Griffin is taking a measure approach with the kids, but I don't know why Sloan is "in and then out". I find that strange.

On another matter re juniors, where are the young Pigs? We seem to have a plethora of promising backs, but where are the 110KG young forwards from the region?
"On another matter re juniors, where are the young Pigs? We seem to have a plethora of promising backs, but where are the 110KG young forwards from the region?"

We would have the 110Kg forwards but I'm not so sure that we have that many "promising" ones. I certainly hope we do as they are needed to displace some of the plodders we have.

hewi

Bench
Dragons coach Anthony Griffin is poised to make a play for Panthers superstar Viliame Kikau in a move that would be a bitter blow for his old club who sacked him in 2018.

The Australian’s Brent Read reported the Dragons are monitoring Kikau’s situation as he enters the final year of his deal at Penrith and could table a multimillion-dollar deal to the back-rower.

A big yes from me.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
"On another matter re juniors, where are the young Pigs? We seem to have a plethora of promising backs, but where are the 110KG young forwards from the region?"

We would have the 110Kg forwards but I'm not so sure that we have that many "promising" ones. I certainly hope we do as they are needed to displace some of the plodders we have.
Coric should get a shot next season. He looks good. We really need reggies back though so when juniors get a taste of 1sts they can work on things the following weeks.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
for those in the know, what is Coric's best position?
Also who has the best potential for FG coming through of Coric, Sherab, Gale and o'ofou, seems we have a plethora of backrowers

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If we were to buy no more players next season I reckon our best side would be.
1.Sloan
2.Feagai
3.Ramsey
4.Lomax
5.Rava
6. Mbye
7.Hunt
8.Lawrie
9.Macca
10.Burgess
11.Sua
12.Sims
13.JDB
14.Bird
15.Kerr
16.McGuire
17.Fuimaono
18.Amone
If Macca was injured McGuire could see out the game at hooker. If he was longer term injured Mbye moves to 9 and whoever our best performer in reggies is moves into the halves. Not sure how Sloan will go with a full season in first grade but he’s worth a try to start. Ramsey’s first full season will pay dividends after another off season of recovery followed by weights and training. I would be tempted to try him on the wing outside Lomax though. Rava is a beast and has a good combo but lacks the speed to take advantage of the long range opportunities Lomax regularly presents.

Latest posts