What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rnd 25 V Parramatta

Abacus

Juniors
I always defer to the line the coach knows best, which for the most part is not unreasonable. Having said that our coaches decision at the back end of last season backfired big time, his late season dropping of Naden and bringing May into the centre’s was highly questionable. It cost us in the end. I’m happy to back his judgement in respect of Crichton on the wing, Momo in the centre’s and May as 14. It is what it is.
Might be reasonable but it gets boring pretty quick if we all just nod along with the coach. I'm happy enough with Crichton on wing & Momo in the centres...just the 14 is contentious for me.

The_Frog

First Grade
bringing May into the centre’s was highly questionable. It cost us in the end.
He wasn't the only one in that category by any means. Players of much higher status in the team who were playing in their usual positions conceded cheap possession leading to points against us.

Kilkenny

Coach
Might be reasonable but it gets boring pretty quick if we all just nod along with the coach. I'm happy enough with Crichton on wing & Momo in the centres...just the 14 is contentious for me.
I’ve endured the bad times. Stuck solid over fifty years. I’m loving recent times, the Gould rebirth, the successful Hook three seasons, a blip in Ivan’s first season back and go figure we are where we are now. I just posted, albeit rather lengthy on the General Discussion thread a post that sums up my views. We are so fortunate, by all means have differing views around team selections but given our history we are now considered a powerhouse. Who would have ever dreamed that possible particularly those of us who have been around for the long haul.

Smug Panther

First Grade
We only got our side back together last week so we need this game at full strength. I would be pulling our 3 most important players (Cleary, Yeo, Api) at halftime though

Girds89

Bench
For me. The risk really really heavily outweighs the reward with the team weve named.

I get ivans thinking but i just think its silly.

I mean we bet souths only weeks ago without to'o, jfh and cleary 2nd game back. They are now without there best player.

I know they havent played much together of late but they wouldnt of all trained much either with injuries and players quarantining.

I mean most other coaches have rested players.. cleary the odd one out and we basically are guaranteed a top 3 finish.

Its not like weve been horrible last 3 weeks either. Few things go our way last week and the score wouldve been 50+. Other than a few drops last week and crap kicking due to wind, naths been awesome since he came back.

Its hardly going to be a finals like warm up for us against parras b team.

Just think a week off, bit of a heavy training week and a half followed by a few rest days into first final wouldve been way way more beneficial.

Allows most players to heal from any bumps bruises and go into game 110% and rested.

Id have rested almost everyone. Just given a few blokes mins who need it or who havent played much. Id have gone with-

1. Staines
2. May
3. Momo
4. Nado
5. Jennings (not sure if injured?)
6. Salmon
7. Falls
8. Tpj
9. Kenny
10. Fish
11. Sorensen
12. Tago
13. Tyrone may

14. Lindsay smith
15. Spencer
16. Eiso
17. Hopgood

Abacus

Juniors
I’ve endured the bad times. Stuck solid over fifty years. I’m loving recent times, the Gould rebirth, the successful Hook three seasons, a blip in Ivan’s first season back and go figure we are where we are now. I just posted, albeit rather lengthy on the General Discussion thread a post that sums up my views. We are so fortunate, by all means have differing views around team selections but given our history we are now considered a powerhouse. Who would have ever dreamed that possible particularly those of us who have been around for the long haul.
So now we're going to start comparing the length of our .... fandom 😁

Granted I'm not as old as you but been a Panther fan since the early 80s - nearly 40 years so seen my fair share of lean trots. Not sure that anyone feels a "sense of entitlement" but that might just be your coping mechanism to any opinion that doesn't align with "the club knows best".

Mate, these are very good times and none of us want to see them not rewarded in the form of premierships. And if you don't want to engage in discussion on team selections because it ultimately upsets you, then don't engage. No one will think less of you.

As a side note, are you Rob Weaver as you seem to have similar philosophies re appropriate forum viewpoints?

Kilkenny

Coach
So now we're going to start comparing the length of our .... fandom 😁

Granted I'm not as old as you but been a Panther fan since the early 80s - nearly 40 years so seen my fair share of lean trots. Not sure that anyone feels a "sense of entitlement" but that might just be your coping mechanism to any opinion that doesn't align with "the club knows best".

Mate, these are very good times and none of us want to see them not rewarded in the form of premierships. And if you don't want to engage in discussion on team selections because it ultimately upsets you, then don't engage. No one will think less of you.

As a side note, are you Rob Weaver as you seem to have similar philosophies re appropriate forum viewpoints?
Not the point I was trying to make. No I’m definitely not Rob Weaver.

I mostly agree with Ivan. I think May is a good option for the 14. I also don’t blame Ivan for the May/Naden switch last year; whether it was just his on-field performances or other challenges Nado was having, Ivan obviously saw that he was not quite right to be starting in that atmosphere at the time and was ultimately proved right. I do like that they have worked with him this year and he seems to be in a better place; I hope he kills it with the dogs next year because he is an exciting player.

Just to prove I am not a fanboy that loves everything Ivan does (stoning offence around here!!), here are the things I disagree with Ivan about;
- putting Chrichton on the wing
- not playing Spencer enough this year (particularly when we were rolling over teams pre-Origin)
- not playing Falls at halfback during Origin (Iknow Falls contract position made that difficult but that should have been managed earlier)
- I really dislike the TPJ move

So while a few things I disagree with, I think Ivan is an amazing coach and we are very lucky to have him. If we cast our minds back to the start of 2020, some pundits had us at the base of the ladder and I still remember a NRL.com article that said our spine was the worst in the comp. Since that time we have developed and had two of the most successful seasons I can remember ever; even 90/91 or 03/04. As I have said elsewhere on this forum the consistency we have for such a young team is amazing, and it is built on such a solid foundation of defence and discipline it gives me confidence it will continue beyond this year.

murraymob

Coach
We only got our side back together last week so we need this game at full strength. I would be pulling our 3 most important players (Cleary, Yeo, Api) at halftime though
Melbourne play before us .So we will know if we need to win.Taking players off halftime will be a easy decisdion

Kilkenny

Coach
Melbourne play before us .So we will know if we need to win.Taking players off halftime will be a easy decisdion
I don’t know mate. I wish the Eels had selected there best side. It doesn't do us any favours playing a vastly undermanned side. Maybe protect Nathan given his situation but otherwise I say put the foot down and carve them up Regardless of what happens in the early game.

I'm ok with a full strength team, quibbles about May/Kenny aside.

Yes you can suffer injuries, but this specific 17 has had one full game since round 12. The cobwebs were obvious on Sunday, even against weak opposition. More game time has it's benefits, as does maintaining a winning culture across the squad, especially against a team we might face up against in a bigger game. Injuries are a risk, but so is the ongoing instability across the squad. I don't think we should perpetuate it if we don't have to at this time of the year.
Pretty solid summation right there.

Personally, I was leaning towards giving key players a rest. However, when you realise that we haven’t had a consistent line up since Round 13, it makes perfect sense to work on getting those combinations right. The same combinations that enabled us to have an undefeated first 12 rounds.

This is reminiscent of the last round in 2003, funnily enough against the same team. Our team was at full strength and we had a chance (along with the Roosters and Raiders) of clinching the minor premiership.

hindy111

Post Whore
I don’t know mate. I wish the Eels had selected there best side. It doesn't do us any favours playing a vastly undermanned side. Maybe protect Nathan given his situation but otherwise I say put the foot down and carve them up Regardless of what happens in the early game.

Parra have rested
Gutherson,Pensini,Blake,D.Brown,Moses,Jnr,N.Brown,Marata,
Papali and have RCG,Matterson and Sivo injured. So 12/17 not playing.
I think it's ok to rest 3 or maybe 4 players. I feel this is taking the piss and taking it to far.

hindy111

Post Whore
Oh and Mahoneys out for the year. So only 4 guys whod normally make the side. And one of those is W.Smith.

Kilkenny

Coach
Oh and Mahoneys out for the year. So only 4 guys whod normally make the side. And one of those is W.Smith.
I don’t get it. Your team selection is resigning yourselves to a spot outside the top four when a spot is up for grabs. The Cowboys could just beat Manly. Very poor on your coaches part in my opinion.

hindy111

Post Whore
I don’t get it. Your team selection is resigning yourselves to a spot outside the top four when a spot is up for grabs. The Cowboys could just beat Manly. Very poor on your coaches part in my opinion.

Manly are 1.07 they will win. Even if didn't it means Eels would have to win. Which would be 3-1.Cowboys are 10-1. So a 30-1 shot of top 4.
Last thing they want is a tough game and battered. Not good for confidence.
Plus BA may not want to finish 4th.