What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

mongoose

Coach
how many new subscribers does foxtel/kayo think they will get just from a 2nd Brisbane team?

while i'm all for a 2nd Brisbane team I don't see the huge benefit to broadcasters, especially with a 17 team comp...

MugaB

Coach
how many new subscribers does foxtel/kayo think they will get just from a 2nd Brisbane team?

while i'm all for a 2nd Brisbane team I don't see the huge benefit to broadcasters, especially with a 17 team comp...
Well this might where it gets interesting, if you're a bid, from far west like jets or far north like dolphins, then those who aren't wanting to travel every weekend, most likely will catch the game on foxtel, kayo or channel 9, as opposed to the fans of the inner city firehawk area where, ease of access to the stadium (comparative to the other bids) will head to the stadium, but all three bids can work this way i suppose.
But it looks like they'll probably go with dolphins or jets, to draw in subscribers of greater brisbane

Perth Red

Post Whore

Brisbane’s fans are already rusted on so how many brand new fans is the new club going to generate? Foxtel will know how many subscribers they already have in brisbane and if there is another 30k Plus subscribers to be had.
real value is in the extra game and new audiences long term, but game is too weak to realise it.

Brisbane’s fans are already rusted on so how many brand new fans is the new club going to generate? Foxtel will know how many subscribers they already have in brisbane and if there is another 30k Plus subscribers to be had.
real value is in the extra game and new audiences long term, but game is too weak to realise it.
The Storm and Cowboys fans from Brisbane is the demographic to target. If Brisbane 2 can convert these people from fans who attend one or two games a year into season ticket holders, then that's more money coming into the game.

Kids who are not yet Storm or Cowboys fans, but will support those teams as they get older because they hate the Broncos, are the other reason for Brisbane 2.

I'll never stop being a Cowboys fan, but I'll also be a Brisbane 2 fan. I'd imagine you'll still support the Storm when the Pirates enter the NRL, but will sign up as a season ticketed member attending Perth Oval every fortnight?

Jim Rockford

Bench
How pathetic is this "I support Team A but I also support Team B"crap.If you are a true supporter then ALL your support goes to your chosen team, none of this splitting allegiances garbage. Says a LOT about those who do this.

blaza88z

Coach
Outside of the hope Sydney fans have that a 2nd Brisbane team will be a booming success (for mine it will be about as successful as the Titans have been), can someone run it by me with some sort of understandable logic as to why any Brisbane fan would give even half a shit about a generic Brisbane franchise? Let's face it here, Brisbane fans who aren't Bronco fans already have a team they're committed to, why would they give a shit about a brand new team?

At least if they extend Redcliffe or something into the NRL then the Redcliffe fans will obviously be on board, I just don't think the "Brisbane Bombers" or whatever they want to call it will have any genuine fanbase, other than the initial few years of success they will have due to having someone like Bennett as the coach and being able to pick the life out of the other 16 teams in the NRL (much like the Titans did).

Maybe the plastics in Brisbane will switch between the 2 clubs based on whoever is doing better at the time but for me you can't actually call yourself a fan is you are doing those sort of things.

blaza88z

Coach
How pathetic is this "I support Team A but I also support Team B"crap.If you are a true supporter then ALL your support goes to your chosen team, none of this splitting allegiances garbage. Says a LOT about those who do this.

I can't stand those type of fans mate, if Wynnum-Manly got a side then I would have to make a decision but that's different from some generic Brisbane team that has no actual affiliation with anything other than the region they will be based out of.

Even then, after 30 so years (however old I was when I understood the sport, born the same year as the Broncos were introduced).. I couldn't just abandon them.

Some people just want nothing more than for the Broncos to crash and burn, I feel like those kind of people would get behind this new franchise for no other reason than what I just said.

mongoose

Coach
Outside of the hope Sydney fans have that a 2nd Brisbane team will be a booming success (for mine it will be about as successful as the Titans have been), can someone run it by me with some sort of understandable logic as to why any Brisbane fan would give even half a shit about a generic Brisbane franchise? Let's face it here, Brisbane fans who aren't Bronco fans already have a team they're committed to, why would they give a shit about a brand new team?

At least if they extend Redcliffe or something into the NRL then the Redcliffe fans will obviously be on board, I just don't think the "Brisbane Bombers" or whatever they want to call it will have any genuine fanbase, other than the initial few years of success they will have due to having someone like Bennett as the coach and being able to pick the life out of the other 16 teams in the NRL (much like the Titans did).

Maybe the plastics in Brisbane will switch between the 2 clubs based on whoever is doing better at the time but for me you can't actually call yourself a fan is you are doing those sort of things.

Who knows, why do so many people in Brisbane go for the Storm?

tri_colours

Juniors

Watching your club each week would be the main driver of subscriptions. A 2nd Brisbane club would see the Broncos on FTA less often. It would also create subscriptions for the new team.
But the biggest draw card would be another Metro team in Brisbane. Will certainly come in handy attracting a FTA partner.

I'll only support Brisbane 2 if it's an established BRL club. I cannot get behind the Jets as they were only in the BRL for two seasons before the Broncos entered the cockroach competiton.

At first I was against a generic name like Brisbane Dolphins -- I preferred Moreton Bay Dolphins or East Coast Dolphins -- but from a marketing angle it makes sense for them to represent all of Australia's third largest city.

Brisbane 2 should be viewed as a long-term project to give the next 2 or 3 generations a local team to follow if they don't like the Broncos. Two professional RL clubs representing Brisbane is better than one, because if a kid doesn't like the Broncos they are just a TV viewer watching the game from home or worse, a potential supporter of the Brisbane Lions or Queensland Reds.

Pippen94

First Grade

Brisbane team will attract audience in 2nd biggest league market. Gives fox extra high rated game there - only one Brisbane team will be on FTA each round most weeks

Pippen94

First Grade
I'll only support Brisbane 2 if it's an established BRL club. I cannot get behind the Jets as they were only in the BRL for two seasons before the Broncos entered the cockroach competiton.

At first I was against a generic name like Brisbane Dolphins -- I preferred Moreton Bay Dolphins or East Coast Dolphins -- but from a marketing angle it makes sense for them to represent all of Australia's third largest city.

Brisbane 2 should be viewed as a long-term project to give the next 2 or 3 generations a local team to follow if they don't like the Broncos. Two professional RL clubs representing Brisbane is better than one, because if a kid doesn't like the Broncos they are just a TV viewer watching the game from home or worse, a potential supporter of the Brisbane Lions or Queensland Reds.
This idea that there's a legion of ppl who hate broncos in Brisbane is fantasy - certainly not enough to establish a team for. What makes you think half these ppl won't hate new team too?!

Pippen94

First Grade

Ipswich team was fixture in qld league long before they joined brl. Competed in tri series with Toowoomba & Brisbane. Green jersey color stems from that

mongoose

Coach
This idea that there's a legion of ppl who hate broncos in Brisbane is fantasy - certainly not enough to establish a team for. What makes you think half these ppl won't hate new team too?!
But I doubt any of the QLD cup sides have a large base of fans to draw from either. That means the new club will need to pull fans away from other NRL teams (Broncos, Titans, Cows and Storm will be the clubs who take the biggest hit) or try and draw people who maybe have a very casual interest in NRL but are not passionate about any current teams.

Pippen94

First Grade
But I doubt any of the QLD cup sides have a large base of fans to draw from either. That means the new club will need to pull fans away from other NRL teams (Broncos, Titans, Cows and Storm will be the clubs who take the biggest hit) or try and draw people who maybe have a very casual interest in NRL but are not passionate about any current teams.

Easier to do that when you represent something rather than just not being broncos

Perth Red

Post Whore
Watching your club each week would be the main driver of subscriptions. A 2nd Brisbane club would see the Broncos on FTA less often. It would also create subscriptions for the new team.
But the biggest draw card would be another Metro team in Brisbane. Will certainly come in handy attracting a FTA partner.
Doubt it, if it has any value to fta to add yet another heartland team then they’ll want both brisbane clubs on fta as much as possible. Strap in for brisbane B’s and brisbane 2 on fta Thursday and Friday evenings!

Perth Red

Post Whore
be interesting to know what price Vlandys has in mind for fox and fta for another brisbane club.
Afl created two clubs no-one wanted that would generate hardly any new viewers in the short term and allegedly got $52mill a year for the extra game. Let’s see what a new club but little extra content and a few extra brisbane viewers is worth.
the clubs report clearly shows the Moreton Bay Area has the largest % of broncos fans. I wonder if Vlandys given comments about not cannabilising current support has seen it?