What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Cecchin

Diesel

Referee
I’m not sure if I’m reading it correctly but there seems to be some much pressure on the refs now. The fans are the fans but as this is a business, they’ve invested so many people that it’s gotten over the top. Not only does the ref have to call what s/he sees, they also have a game manager in the ear the whole time from the bunker.

TLDR: too many chiefs managing the refs

Chimp

Bench
The best way to fix the whole bunker/ref pressure mess in my opinion is to only allow them say 3 replays of an incident, and they can only watch them at normal speed, without an super zoom facility. If they can’t see an obvious error from those views, it goes with the refs decision. That way, the bunker is only called upon for the absolute howler (as was originally intended). The game isn’t played in slow motion and under a microscope/super zoom, so it shouldn’t be reffed that way either.
Would also get rid of all this bollocks about pressure on the neck and staying down - The penalties for pressure on neck were originally for the classic crusher where the attacker deliberately jumps down on their head, pushing it into chest, not to protect players who choose to turn their back into the defenders to try grab a few extra yards and then flip to their front for a quick ptb. Nobody ever goes off injured with a sore neck, but they’re all laying down for a penalty. Sack off the bunker intervention unless it’s obviously serious foul play that has been missed by the ref (like the Mitchell one)

Last edited:
As someone who refereed junior rugby league in his twenties, it is not just NRL leave where the pressure gets applied. It is not uncommon to see referees abused at junior league games, threatened with physical violence, and even being physically assaulted. First time I can remember feeling threatened was when an official at one club told me that some of the parents of his players wanted to stick a knife in me after I'd refereed them in an Under 8s match.

The issue is too many people expect referees to get every decision correct 100% of the time, and should they make an error, it is interpreted always as because the referee is biased.

TV and media commentators have to take a lot of blame for this due to their constant replaying and carping on during a game call about a mistake. It just keeps it in the eye. I don't recall such carry on during telecasts of NBA, NFL or EPL games about officiating mistake like I have for rugby league. Until our media start acting a bit more mature, nothing will change. You only have to look at the media carry on during the 1980s and early 1990s about players being sent off "ruining the spectacle/competitiveness of the game" and how it has translated into refereeing reluctance to send players off as a direct result.

LineBall

Juniors
The best way to fix the whole bunker/ref pressure mess in my opinion is to only allow them say 3 replays of an incident, and they can only watch them at normal speed, without an super zoom facility. If they can’t see an obvious error from those views, it goes with the refs decision. That way, the bunker is only called upon for the absolute howler (as was originally intended). The game isn’t played in slow motion and under a microscope/super zoom, so it shouldn’t be reffed that way either.
Would also get rid of all this bollocks about pressure on the neck and staying down - The penalties for pressure on neck were originally for the classic crusher where the attacker deliberately jumps down on their head, pushing it into chest, not to protect players who choose to turn their back into the defenders to try grab a few extra yards and then flip to their front for a quick ptb. Nobody ever goes off injured with a sore neck, but they’re all laying down for a penalty. Sack off the bunker intervention unless it’s obviously serious foul play that has been missed by the ref (like the Mitchell one)
The best way to fix it is get rid of the bunker altogether.

Stipulate that the broadcaster can only replay the incident at normal speed to show what the officials had to work with.

Take the ear piece off the ref. The less distractions the better.

I'd rather live with errors that were made in real time, than the garbage we have now.

The_Frog

First Grade
Whats the oldest a ref has carried on till in the modern game? Physically I guess it can get tough to stay in shape so you mentally stay top notch during a game. I wish I was as fit as him at 48!
Laurie Bruyeres reffed until he was 53.

big hit!

Bench
TV and media commentators have to take a lot of blame for this due to their constant replaying and carping on during a game call about a mistake. It just keeps it in the eye. I don't recall such carry on during telecasts of NBA, NFL or EPL games about officiating mistake like I have for rugby league. Until our media start acting a bit more mature, nothing will change. You only have to look at the media carry on during the 1980s and early 1990s about players being sent off "ruining the spectacle/competitiveness of the game" and how it has translated into refereeing reluctance to send players off as a direct result.

DT with editor Rothfield and Ch9 with Gould are the worst. They've fostered this attribution culture in supporters with their endless criticism of officiating over the past 2 decades.

Refs make mistakes. Just like players drop balls they shouldn't drop, or miss tackles they shouldn't miss. Player errors (which contribute greater to the outcome of every match) are glossed over and immediately forgotten once the next phase of play begins. A ref or bunker error is dissected by the media for days afterwards.

As someone who refereed junior rugby league in his twenties, it is not just NRL leave where the pressure gets applied. It is not uncommon to see referees abused at junior league games, threatened with physical violence, and even being physically assaulted. First time I can remember feeling threatened was when an official at one club told me that some of the parents of his players wanted to stick a knife in me after I'd refereed them in an Under 8s match.

The issue is too many people expect referees to get every decision correct 100% of the time, and should they make an error, it is interpreted always as because the referee is biased.

Constant rules changes adding further complications or interpretations can’t help either

Laurie Bruyeres reffed until he was 53.
games are very different to his day & now
fulltime professional officials who train often & very very hard .. to part timers who trained a few evenings a week
you'd need a freak to be still refereeing NRL at age 53 in this day & age

Never forget this man spotting an obstruction in the 2005 grand final. Mander was ready to give Ty Williams a try, Cechin pointed to an obstruction 30 metres up the field, and would you believe it video ref awards no try. I’ll always have time for him after that.

Crippler

Juniors
Never forget this man spotting an obstruction in the 2005 grand final. Mander was ready to give Ty Williams a try, Cechin pointed to an obstruction 30 metres up the field, and would you believe it video ref awards no try. I’ll always have time for him after that.
Yep was a great spot. Who knows how the game ends up if Cowboys are awarded there.

Latest posts