What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge The Myth ?

The Rosco

Bench
Yeah I reckon Madge has lost the team.

A full year+ of being screamed at would do that to people...
It's a fkkn circle.
The players are lazy and don't put in.
The coach goes softly softly on them but nothing changes.
That coach gets sacked and the new coach screams at them for not putting in.
The players get aggrieved at being screamed at for the first time in their lives, then to teach the coach a lesson, they play lazy and don't put in.
I don't know about Madge. If we believe the doco, he doesn't really have many football based answers . . . everything he says is copied and pasted from the book " Sports team motivation for dummies".
Of course the doco is edited to show us what Fox wants to show us . . . .
If we sack him, we are just setting ourselves up for another 3-5 year cycle of bullshit "re-building process".
One point that is lost in all of this . . . last year, pretty much all of us said that 2021 was not going to be a successful year, that it was a step in the process. Of course that process seems to be out the window now . . . but we never really expected success this year.
So I guess we were right ?

macnaz

Staff member
I think there is a difference between a lack of success and going backward.

This year we went backward in almost all aspects of the game. And if we EVER had a heart, it clocked off as well.
Yep , last year also it could have been blamed on starting a season as trained only to have the rules changed . This year was a fresh start and we still declined.

WA Tiger

Bench
We've got a 5 year plan and its not a good one.

I watched SBS last night 2 weeks in June about Gus Hidink and his time as coach when we got to the last 16 at the world cup in 2006. How we rattled Brazil and Italy two heavyweights of world soccer. Against Brazil the refs took Vaduka out of the game. He got 16 penalties in the game without getting a red card. The refs and all the officials wanted Brazil there at the end. They dont have to win but they are more of a draw card than Australia (worldwide I mean) And Italy well that was a heartbreak with the Italy attacker having time to find something to trip over......All the feedback was the coach had a major influence on how they went. Anyway its all been said before.

I don't think another coach will help with the team we have. But it's clear we can't sign any good players to replace the ones we have now.

Based on that Madge, his assistants, and the entire management team have to go. We need to start again from scratch, if only to give ourselves a chance to sign decent talent. At the moment players would rather go to the Bulldogs than us. Same thing happened when Newcastle won 3 spoons in a row not all that long ago. Didn't take them long to buy a decent roster. At least they've played finals footy recently.

Look at some of the recent decisions.

1. Get rid of Benji who was one of only about 3 players who created anything in attack last year. We could have used him this year.
2. Extend Brooks and top up his pay to elite level.
3. Give Mbye $800k plus.
4. Take Grant on for what was only ever going to be a year and lose Momo in the process. Replace Momo with Roberts and BJ.

All disasters that were painfully obvious even to the casual observer.

It probably won't have any effect but you have to try. The players we have, haven't responded to Mage and probably never did. They'll mostly all be there next year. Flanagan will most likely be available next year. He's shown he's not worried about doing whatever it takes. Maybe even Bennett as an outside hope.

Once that's done we might have a chance to send the majority of the team back to obscurity where they belong, and get some players who at the least, give a shit about winning. All of the above doesn't take any responsibility away from the players who have not put in consistently, if at all, this year.

Next year is a spoon year no matter what we do. I'm only surprised we weren't in contention more this year.

Das Hassler

Bench
Letting Momo and Thompson go was unforgivable for me....it's not just about talent ..Cory Norman ..Ash Taylor and others prove that. ..it's setting a culture of consistent maximum effort that is the foundation that has to be built otherwise it all crumbles sooner than later....Douehi...Laurie...Momo and Thompson take personal pride and a winning attitude into every game....that beats "when the mood strikes" talent hands down....melbourne had a bad one yesterday but it's why they're on or near the top of the ladder every year because that's the first box Bellamy wants ticked or they don't come...he's said that whenever he's asked.

Wizardman

First Grade
I've said this before. I have nothing against Madge as a person. But, our team has got worse under his tenure. I would have been okay with missing the finals is we saw some signs of general improvement. On the whole, we have regressed and he has to take some accountability for that. Im sad that it has not worked out with Madge but feel he has to go.

WA Tiger

Bench
Letting Momo and Thompson go was unforgivable for me....it's not just about talent ..Cory Norman ..Ash Taylor and others prove that. ..it's setting a culture of consistent maximum effort that is the foundation that has to be built otherwise it all crumbles sooner than later....Douehi...Laurie...Momo and Thompson take personal pride and a winning attitude into every game....that beats "when the mood strikes" talent hands down....melbourne had a bad one yesterday but it's why they're on or near the top of the ladder every year because that's the first box Bellamy wants ticked or they don't come...he's said that whenever he's asked.
I fkn loved Thompson…Tough electric and he went for ages without dropping a ball..With good things going on around him he’d scythe through gaps and put on a show as much in defence (one of his tackles against some behemoth head on. I can’t remember who it was but it was like his life depended on it. It was the best example of courage Ive prob ever seen - unlike AD’s comedic efforts) as in attack…but AD came along just as Thompson had a bad couple of games (maybe related) including dropping a couple of high balls then high kicks that I think resulted in tries to the opposition and then suddenly “he was too short” and he was gone…Then we saw how slow and ineffectual AD was at fullback…so yea not great strategic planning

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
I fkn loved Thompson…Tough electric and he went for ages without dropping a ball..With good things going on around him he’d scythe through gaps and put on a show as much in defence (one of his tackles against some behemoth head on .I can’t remember who it was but it was like his life depended on it was the best example of courage Ive prob ever seen) as in attack…but AD came along just as Thompson had a bad couple of games including dropping a couple of high balls then high kicks that I think resulted in tries to the opposition and then suddenly “he was too short” and he was gone…Then we saw how slow and ineffectual AD was at fullback…so yea not great strategic planning

He plays like every game could be his last and his family's next meal depends on his effort

WA Tiger

Bench
Jason Taumalolo ..What a tackle..last line of defence, head on, Thompson just jumped on him like a cat and didn’t let go until he hit the deck !

Last edited: