What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Finals Week 1 vs Parramatta @ Browne Park

Who will win? Finals Week 1: Parramatta v Newcastle

• Parramatta Eels 13+

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Parramatta Eels 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono078

Referee
Really excited for this game but truthfully I’ll be shocked if we keep within 12 points of Parra. They did a job on us earlier this year but they were flying high and we had a really different team back then with no Ponga and Pearce just to name a couple.

I think all the pressure is on Parra for this one. They’ve been close enough if good enough for a couple of years now and this is probably their last real chance at the premiership in this window they’re in.

A lot is being said about Ponga touching the ball often but this could also means he tries to force his hand. I want him involved, I want him to make a statement returning the ball and I’d rather he wasn’t in the defensive line so often inside our own 20.

I think Connor and Ponga need to link up in the middle with quick runs and passes and this might cause Parra havoc.

Eels right side defense has been iffy this year so we need Bradman and Tuala to be on and take all opportunities presented.

If Kurt Mann can restrict himself to 3 errors and 3 missed tackles he’s probably having a good game.

And bring on the Clifford torpedos and Barney chasing the kick like a madman and eliminating Gutherson.

Can’t wait! Why do we have to be Bloody Sunday!

Im genuinely pissed off this is being played in Rockhampton

First semi final the knights are involved in that was likely to be played within driving distance from me and they decide to host in 7hours north

Silent Knight

First Grade
Im genuinely pissed off this is being played in Rockhampton

First semi final the knights are involved in that was likely to be played within driving distance from me and they decide to host in 7hours north

Ditto, there would be a lot more Knights supporters in Brisbane than there would be up in Rockhampton. I'm also tired of the lip service paid to the regions and all this waffle about them being "true rugby league people". What aren't the people of Brisbane rugby league people? I understand taking regular NRL games to the regions, but the NRL finals are a showpiece event and they should be played in the best stadiums (Suncorp & CBUS).

These are the same regional people who sneer at city people and say we're elites, out of touch and frequent coffee shops and wine bars. The chip on their shoulders is massive and they've got no idea about city people. I read it all the time on social media pages.

It's the same as all this nostalgic waffle about suburban grounds in Sydney. "There's nothing better than Sunday arvo at Leichhardt" - the place is a prehistoric dump, same goes for Brookvale, same goes for Kogarah. Give me a game at BankWest every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Yosh

Coach
Where have Clifford's bombs gone? Why is Pearce kicking all the time. Pearce has definitely improved his kicking but we have an amazing weapon in the Clifford bomb... I hope we see Clifford kick a lot more this game.

As much as I love Ponga, watching Turbo, Teddy and to a degree Latrell turn it on for their teams, I can't help but feel let down by Ponga. In terms of talent, I don't think he loses out to any of those lads. He just doesn't seem as intense or enthusiastic when he plays. If there was ever a week to prove all his doubters wrong, it's this one.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Where have Clifford's bombs gone? Why is Pearce kicking all the time. Pearce has definitely improved his kicking but we have an amazing weapon in the Clifford bomb... I hope we see Clifford kick a lot more this game.

As much as I love Ponga, watching Turbo, Teddy and to a degree Latrell turn it on for their teams, I can't help but feel let down by Ponga. In terms of talent, I don't think he loses out to any of those lads. He just doesn't seem as intense or enthusiastic when he plays. If there was ever a week to prove all his doubters wrong, it's this one.
His defence is still the elephant in the room, as far as his total game goes. Until he shows the desperation the aformentioned do, on their line, he won't be close to their level. That will come from him. It won't be coached.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
It’s almost like he hasn’t regained full confidence in his shoulder since injury. Remember his origin debut? He was whacking guys hard with no fear.

There’s definitely a sense of self preservation about his game this year and it’s not a great sign. If he can’t come out this game and put the body on the line in both his kick returns and defense then it is a concern. I’m sure some will say here why do you want him to do that and get belted all game. Well he’s the highest paid player and is capable of finding a hole. You’d never hear that excuse about any other fullback in the comp, not even for Jayden Campbell.

Zoidberg

First Grade
If we can start off the game like we did our finals match against the bunnies last year, that kind of enthusiasm, we are in with a good chance.

perverse

Referee
I'm not willing to write us off completely, but I'm impressed by the level of optimism here. It has to be largely based on what we could in theory achieve, not what we've already done this year... because based on what we've shown, we need to be better than we've ever been this year to be a shot at this one. A hell of a lot of things need to go right.

I'm hopeful we won't shit the bed, but preparing for the worst too.

It's the biggest game of Ponga's career imo. He gets all the media accolades but everyone else sees through that now. He's proven nothing and won nothing. If he steps up and the rest of the team plays with 110% enthusiasm, we'll win

Knight Tales

Juniors
I'm not willing to write us off completely, but I'm impressed by the level of optimism here. It has to be largely based on what we could in theory achieve, not what we've already done this year... because based on what we've shown, we need to be better than we've ever been this year to be a shot at this one. A hell of a lot of things need to go right.

Eels form is not exactly anything to write home about this year. They are still equally capable of playing shithouse on Sunday. They are a confidence side. All day. You take away their rhythm and they are done. Storm game was more about Storm being appalling by their standards. Manly, Panthers or Souths would have put 50 On that night.

Parra played well. Not taking that away from them. But rarely do they seem like they can rebound if things go against them. Much like us. It is a lot closer than people think this one.

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
It’s easy to get yourself up to play the top team of the last 15 years. Let’s see how they go in a match where they are expected to win, and pretty easily at that.

macavity

Referee

tommy, teddy and latrell can physically dominate people. They are big and strong. Kalyn isn’t, at least not yet. It makes a massive difference in confidence.

Frederick

Staff member

In theory, we have a real chance of winning the competition.

Also,

In theory, communism works

In theory, I have a chance with Margot Robbie

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I think we need to shelve any idea of us playing a brand of free flowing attacking footy. Our strength right now is dragging other teams into a war of attrition and beating them by being disciplined and keeping the scores low. We’re not going to win in a shoot out over Parra so we need to pull them into the trenches with us and play the game on our terms.

Parra are flat track bullies and like to get on top early and use their power game to create offloads and second phase play and then move the ball around. I believe if we can keep them from scoring for the first 20-25 mins then we can frustrate them and Parra have shown in the past they don’t deal well with pressure.

Jono078

Referee
I think we need to shelve any idea of us playing a brand of free flowing attacking footy. Our strength right now is dragging other teams into a war of attrition and beating them by being disciplined and keeping the scores low. We’re not going to win in a shoot out over Parra so we need to pull them into the trenches with us and play the game on our terms.

Parra are flat track bullies and like to get on top early and use their power game to create offloads and second phase play and then move the ball around. I believe if we can keep them from scoring for the first 20-25 mins then we can frustrate them and Parra have shown in the past they don’t deal well with pressure.
I think you're right, and we're just going to have to do the basics as best we can. Make our metres, have good kicks to end our sets, chase hard and tackle hard.

I know, genius gameplan but simple probably is our best chance of winning. I'm sure we'll put on a nice try here and there too.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I think you're right, and we're just going to have to do the basics as best we can. Make our metres, have good kicks to end our sets, chase hard and tackle hard.

I know, genius gameplan but simple probably is our best chance of winning. I'm sure we'll put on a nice try here and there too.
I’m glad someone agrees with me. We’ve just recently won 5 in a row doing exactly that so why change it now?

I’m not saying we shouldn’t throw the ball around at all but we should do it when we have ruck speed and not try to manufacture it when we don’t.