What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Let's get some things straight on Tariq and his contract status:

1. He is contracted until the end of '22 season.
2. He has been given permission to look around
3. The door is not shut on him receiving an extension with the Dragons (if another offer doesn't materialise)
4. His manager approached us about "23 onwards, we did not approach him.

If Tariq finds another club willing to take him on, then good luck to him. You'd have to wonder what $$ would be on offer for a near 32/33 yr old.

You have to ask yourself, when was the last time Tariq smashed a half-back, charged down a kick or ran for more than 100m a game on a consistent level? Yes, he may find it again, but the new rules have basically wiped out the type of player he is (barring SOO where no rules apply, apparently).

We have plenty of young stock coming through at edge forward in O'Ofou, Sherab and Gale, add in existing Sua, Burns and even Bird. To sign Tariq again based on sentiment or, good bloke, just echoes the problems we have faced over the last 8 or so years, a roster spot taken up by someone who is roadblocking another, and where have I heard that before!

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I just read that Phil Rothfield is giving us a thumbs down for not offering Tariq one or two years mor past 2022. I Think he is on $600 K a season next year roundabouts. That is very good coin.

He joined dragons when 28 years old after playing for cows and Newcastle for 7 years odd; not exactly some long term faithful player. He was very good in 2018. If he and Gareth stayed healthy in 2018 after flogging Brisbane in the 1st semi, well we win in my view. Yes even with Mary as coach.

2019-20 he was very ordinary and significantly hampered by injury. I think only got on the park 9 times in 2020.

Started 2021 on fire, it was Tariq mark 2018. Last 2/3 season has been very ordinary. I don’t know if he is carrying injury or whatever.

What is the club to do? Of course, honour what I understand is a significant $$$ contract next year. After that he is a 33 year old player in 2023,in a fast modern game. At $250 to $300k yes for one more in 2023 but that’s it. If South’s are offering much more he would be crazy not to grab it.

We need at least another 2 quality backrowers and a fast powerful centre. We are probably stuck with the unremarkable Lomax for many years.( although I understand other clubs are sweating on Lomax to leave us and pick up his contract) Is it possible the club is loading up to pay big for the Panthers big bopper or someone else?

Finally Phil R criticises us for wanting to let Tariq go but aren’t his Sharks trying to move on Fifita ( only 6 months older that Tariq) who won them the title in 2016 and been at his club a long time?
Phil Rothfield is a dud! Who cares what he says. It is his job to stir the pot and create controversy.

I know where you’re coming from but if he wants decent $$ & being a current origin player he would we can’t be paying him well & using him off the bench taking up 2/3 interchanges.
If he can get a contract for good coin for another 3 years elsewhere he’d be mad not to take it.
I just watched a replay of his interview with Danny Weidler on 9…

There was no option at all considered by the Dragons, and no expectations / demands by Tariq. He was informed of this a month ago, and also he could go earlier elsewhere

That’s poor form from the club. And there’s a potential answer as to why he may not have been performing well recently. He was visibly upset talking about it.

2 sides to every story but no one can ever say Tariq isn’t a standup guy. Unlike dead wood they’ve gotten rid of recently…

Club can get f*cked as far as I’m concerned. That includes the coach.

blacksafake

First Grade
I just watched a replay of his interview with Danny Weidler on 9…

There was no option at all considered by the Dragons, and no expectations / demands by Tariq. He was informed of this a month ago, and also he could go earlier elsewhere

That’s poor form from the club. And there’s a potential answer as to why he may not have been performing well recently. He was visibly upset talking about it.

2 sides to every story but no one can ever say Tariq isn’t a standup guy. Unlike dead wood they’ve gotten rid of recently…

Club can get f*cked as far as I’m concerned. That includes the coach.
Your feelings are understandable bbjf.
If he was told a month ago then the club imo has given him plenty of notice. They could have waited until the end of next season which would have been a worse situation making it harder for him to find another club.
Like I’ve said before he’s one of my favourites but he’s coming to the end of his career which happens to all.
As for saying he may have not been putting in because of the news a month ago I can’t agree.
His form for the club is a fair way short of his origin form & has been for 12 months.
I’ve no doubt he always puts in but just maybe his body can’t keep it up.
If the club had extended his contract imo he would eventually be coming off the bench or playing reserves which he doesn’t deserve.
This way he gets the chance to get one last payday for a couple of years.

blacksafake

First Grade
I just read that Phil Rothfield is giving us a thumbs down for not offering Tariq one or two years mor past 2022. I Think he is on $600 K a season next year roundabouts. That is very good coin.

He joined dragons when 28 years old after playing for cows and Newcastle for 7 years odd; not exactly some long term faithful player. He was very good in 2018. If he and Gareth stayed healthy in 2018 after flogging Brisbane in the 1st semi, well we win in my view. Yes even with Mary as coach.

2019-20 he was very ordinary and significantly hampered by injury. I think only got on the park 9 times in 2020.

Started 2021 on fire, it was Tariq mark 2018. Last 2/3 season has been very ordinary. I don’t know if he is carrying injury or whatever.

What is the club to do? Of course, honour what I understand is a significant $$$ contract next year. After that he is a 33 year old player in 2023,in a fast modern game. At $250 to $300k yes for one more in 2023 but that’s it. If South’s are offering much more he would be crazy not to grab it.

We need at least another 2 quality backrowers and a fast powerful centre. We are probably stuck with the unremarkable Lomax for many years.( although I understand other clubs are sweating on Lomax to leave us and pick up his contract) Is it possible the club is loading up to pay big for the Panthers big bopper or someone else?

Finally Phil R criticises us for wanting to let Tariq go but aren’t his Sharks trying to move on Fifita ( only 6 months older that Tariq) who won them the title in 2016 and been at his club a long time?
Agree except with the Lomax part.

blacksafake

First Grade
Let's get some things straight on Tariq and his contract status:

1. He is contracted until the end of '22 season.
2. He has been given permission to look around
3. The door is not shut on him receiving an extension with the Dragons (if another offer doesn't materialise)
4. His manager approached us about "23 onwards, we did not approach him.

If Tariq finds another club willing to take him on, then good luck to him. You'd have to wonder what $$ would be on offer for a near 32/33 yr old.

You have to ask yourself, when was the last time Tariq smashed a half-back, charged down a kick or ran for more than 100m a game on a consistent level? Yes, he may find it again, but the new rules have basically wiped out the type of player he is (barring SOO where no rules apply, apparently).

We have plenty of young stock coming through at edge forward in O'Ofou, Sherab and Gale, add in existing Sua, Burns and even Bird. To sign Tariq again based on sentiment or, good bloke, just echoes the problems we have faced over the last 8 or so years, a roster spot taken up by someone who is roadblocking another, and where have I heard that before!
This 💯

Coffs dragon

Bench
This Tariq Sims story sure gets plenty of negative Media against the Dragons club, compared to Adam Reynolds and Dale Funucine.
Yet they are all similar ages, captains, role models and well respected….yet for the Bunnies & Storm it’s purely Salary cap and the future.
The Dragon’s obviously don’t line the bloodsucking media with beer money!

TruSaint

Referee
This Tariq Sims story sure gets plenty of negative Media against the Dragons club, compared to Adam Reynolds and Dale Funucine.
Yet they are all similar ages, captains, role models and well respected….yet for the Bunnies & Storm it’s purely Salary cap and the future.

This x 100.

Reynolds , a Matraville junior, one club man, with over 200 games for the Bunnies signed elsewhere and yet Tariq who has played for 3 Clubs is the story of the year... Pleeeaaase..

st.phil

Bench
Ok Tariq may not be worth the big bucks going forward but this looks more really poor man management from this club. We know he is a media favourite… could they not have done the standard “play well first 6 rounds next year and we’ll sort you out post” instead of pulling the cord 4 years before the year closes?

TruSaint

Referee
Ok Tariq may not be worth the big bucks going forward but this looks more really poor man management from this club. We know he is a media favourite… could they not have done the standard “play well first 6 rounds next year and we’ll sort you out post” instead of pulling the cord 4 years before the year closes?

Phil, that would have been unfair on Tariq.
By letting him know their plans, they have given him an opportunity to secure a longer deal elsewhere.

IMHO, they did the right thing.

While the Reynolds one is baffling, compare the clubs who he and Finucane play for and the Dragons..

It’s like comparing A Ferrari and a Mercedes with a beige Holden Camira.

images

Agreed.

Still has a year to run… clubs could have picked him up throughout next year if indeed the decision was better to let him go elsewhere…

I don’t buy the “club has been fair to let him explore options and get a deal” philosophy.. There’s loads of players who get snapped up in their last year of a contract.

The bloke is a true clubman - something we have none of now. We also don’t have any true natural leaders on the field. But we do have a bunch of castoffs, misfits and “last chance saloon” people who have joined or about to join the club…

If all the events of this season happened while Paul McGregor was coaching our fans blood would be beyond boiling point. But seemingly many are tolerant of the situation this year… wonder why..

st.phil

Bench
Phil, that would have been unfair on Tariq.
By letting him know their plans, they have given him an opportunity to secure a longer deal elsewhere.

IMHO, they did the right thing.
hear you but they have to start thinking a little more cleverly about the "optics" given the spiral they are in - why would you not be open to it if he happens to dig in and play big consistently to start 2022? I think this is a hallmark of Hook, for better or worse, subtle as a sledgehammer. He ain't got much time to get it right

TruSaint

Referee
hear you but they have to start thinking a little more cleverly about the "optics" given the spiral they are in - why would you not be open to it if he happens to dig in and play big consistently to start 2022? I think this is a hallmark of Hook, for better or worse, subtle as a sledgehammer. He ain't got much time to get it right

I understand your point mate.

blacksafake

First Grade
While the Reynolds one is baffling, compare the clubs who he and Finucane play for and the Dragons..

It’s like comparing A Ferrari and a Mercedes with a beige Holden Camira.

images
Sure those clubs have been run better than us but as soon as the club makes a tough decision like the others everyone is into them for the rent.
It’s a smart cap decision.
He’s not a long term player for the club.
If the club extended him on good money which he would command being an origin player & then lost a couple of promising juniors such as Coric to another club supporters & media would be getting stuck into them for this.

Sure those clubs have been run better than us but as soon as the club makes a tough decision like the others everyone is into them for the rent.
It’s a smart cap decision.
He’s not a long term player for the club.
If the club extended him on good money which he would command being an origin player & then lost a couple of promising juniors such as Coric to another club supporters & media would be getting stuck into them for this.

It depends on your view of smart...

Mine is the club has made 3 smart decisions all season. Letting Dufty go, and Sacking Paul Vaughan, and not extending Corey Norman. That's it.

People keep raising "Good Money" with regard to Sims. Nothing was ever said about Sims wanting/demanding money - and has since been reconfirmed by Sims himself and in the Media - Andrew Webster (amongst possible others). Bloke wanted to see out a career where he started out (junior) and came back to.

If it was the Storm or Bunnies - with sustained levels of success and strong management - it may lend itself to being seeing as harsh but smart. But it isn't them - its the Dragons - a side that lost its last 8 games this year, lost twice as many games as it won all season, had half the team (not including Sims) disobey club order and government Covid restrictions, who've signed a coaching team for 2021 that has been collectively sacked 4 times..... after sacking another coach 1 year short of his contract term with a payout bill in the high 6-figure mark.

This is a coach that promoted "Junior Development" when he signed to take over... Yet we signed players such as Beale, McGuire, McCullough, Alvaro. We have since signed Burgess (hip issues), Mbye, Suli (history behavioural issues). This aint exactly a list of players who are "for the Future"..... and none are juniors.

This club signed McCullough to a 3 year deal at 31 years of age. A guy who had never set foot in the club before, hasn't set the world alight in his career, has had knee injuries... yet he gets the juicy retirement red-carpet that a clubman like Sims has been pulled out from underneath him.

This Club needs a telescope to see what Smart looks like. Ryan Webb seems like a good guy and writes a lovely club newsletter every month or so. But the Club as a whole is just a Red & White Circus Tent who can't stop tripping over itself.

Latest posts