What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why didnt we make the 8?

Generalzod

Immortal
Simple SPEED in every aspect of our game.
SPEED of our line in defence
SPEED in our kick chase
SPEED in our middle forwards
SPEED in our half’s
SPEED is missing all over the park.
Match up our players in every position against the same position in the top 4 teams and I dare say every single player is slower with Metcalf as our only exception.

Defence and no leadership is a given, that can be fixed along with most things we failed in. SPEED can’t be taught it needs to be bought into the team for us to be a top 4 team.

Country Shark

Juniors
To be honest considering the disaster of the coach sacking at the end of Round 5, it was a pretty fair effort to be in contention for the 8 come last round. A few other clubs namely the Tigers, Bulldogs, Warriors or Cowboys would have taken that based on their train wreck year with far less internal upheaval. Definitely surpassed my expectations. Could it have been better... yes, no Johnson, no Graham, no 2017 model Fifita, Townsend gone, alot of things didn't go right. I actually think this is the season we had to have. Darkness before the light. Bit of upheaval with getting the new coach, offloading overpaid players and a general clean out of the joint. Imagine what would have happened if the status quo remained... Morris stays , overpaid players re-signed, scrape into the eight in 7th or 8th again. It becomes a false dawn when you think everything is right and on track when its not. If Fitzy is half as good as what they talk him up to be, then give it a couple of years to build a decent squad that can challenge for the top 4 again because it wont happen overnight. I actually believe the youngsters such as Trindall, Wilton & Metcalf were pretty good considering their inexperience and it was far more enjoyable watching them stuff up than the rubbish from Townsend & co over the past few years. Very hopeful for the future and good to see that management has finally shown some grit to make tough decisions with the view of making the club stronger and not being happy with a 5/10 season.

Chimp

Bench
One word (SOFT)
I’m with ya, but I’d probably say that ‘WEAK’ is a better word.

Weak attitude (particularly from our high earners) - Couldn’t get the job done when the pressure came in close games that we should have won. Certain players taking the easy option at every opportunity

Weak physically - lots of injuries, not as big, fast and strong as the better teams
Weak

bmaccc

Juniors
Lack of leadership has been our overarching problem.

Imo it affects:
- effort plays (making the big 1 on 1 tackle, pushing through the middle on a half bust)
- structure (SJ injury, Chad moving mid season, Moylan injury, Wade injured)
- culture (why should I cover for X if he's earning way more than me and can't be arsed?, Dugan dumb choices)
- poor starts to halves - no motivation from coach, also maybe lack of respect for him (why should I listen to this bloke who is a fill in coach for our sacked fill in coach?)
- closing games out - less team unity, more a group of individuals running around, game management issues
- winning games we should - easy to get complacent

Some highlights in this department is our juniors standing up and taking charge, showing heart early in the season when we played with 13 for half a game, Ronaldo bleeding blue, Fifs injury - still backing up caring about the team...

Considering all this I think 9th is a good result but as a fan its easy to get frustrated when it could've been so much more

Inferno

Coach
There are a number of factors.

poor defence

chopping and changing spine (Seriously did we play more than 3 or 4 games in a row with the same halves combination)

Long term injuries to players like SJ, Wade, Hunt

Poor coaching.

I blame the last one most of all. We were in almost every game up until halftime. We lost the majority of the second halves of games and I think averaged 3 points a game from the 40th minute to the 60th minute.

That to me says we went into most games with a decent plan but at halftime the opposition adjusted and we couldn't.

Hopefully most of that can be fixed.

Forget about making the 8 though, we could have scrapped through with an ounce of luck in half a dozen games. In this competition making the 8 is a poor passmark.

Winning at least as many games as we lost should be the bare minimum and we were well off that.

txta2

Bench
As much as I love Toby, 90 missed tackles as a middle player is simply not good enough. Second most in the game in 2021, second only to Scott Drinkwater. This needs to be fixed next season if Toby is to hold his spot.

As a team we missed 910 tackles. Just for perspective, Reece Robson from the Cowboys made 911 on his own. For us to miss that amount is crazy. That’s where the problem was for us this year.
Spot on. Hate to say it but Toby is fkn soft when it comes to defence. Glad someone else picked it up because it was on display on the weekend as well. His goal line defence is average. Hopefully it gets fixed with new coach