What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players mental health issues.

Rich102

Staff member
I was posting on here the other day about how disinterested Fusitua had been this year and Space Monkey said he had been going through mental health issues.
I have been thinking about this a bit since.
It has got a lot of media attention lately.
Is this a new phenomenon? Or has it been going on for some time but hasn't been widely discussed?
I certainly wouldn't want to put the boot into a player with genuine issues but to what extent are players using this as an excuse for lack of effort.
Then I started to think maybe the modern game, and the large salaries associated with it, may have some bearing on this.
Most of our players go straight from school into a semi-professional career. They may not have worked in a full-time job. Then, generally within a short time, they are making more money than their contemporaries - often a lot more. But associated with that is having to stay competitive and justify a new contract.
I am not saying this is Fusitua's situation but his form has certainly slumped and I can't imagine many clubs paying big money for him on his current form.
I know the clubs are treating this seriously and are offering support as well as help with post-football careers.
Is this a new thing and how widespread is it?

Meth

Staff member
Societally, we are more aware of mental health than previously. I'm not sure that it's a new phenomenon, but we take it more seriously, which is a good thing.

Honestly man, things are pretty heavy at the moment. I wouldn't say I suffer with mental health challenges, but I'm generally fatigued by all of this and I have my family around me. If I did struggle with mental health and I didn't have my family around me AND I was in a job where there was a lot of public scrutiny (and criticism), yeah, that'd be hard.

Generally, in a lot of sports, players are taking their welfare more seriously and, if needed, taking a break for the sake of their mental health. Off the top of my head, Simone Biles and Ben Stokes recently. I applaud that.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Specifically in relation to Fus, we know he and his partner had their first child last year, and obviously there have been the ongoing issues with travel restrictions impacting families. The club has done the right thing and protected his privacy on this matter but I think it’s pretty reasonable to assume that those factors may have affected him.

Benek

Juniors
Honestly, is anyone not having mental health issues right now?

It’s always been a issue with professional athletes but the strain of being away from home for 2 going on 3 years is taking it to new level.

I work from home and have been lucky to have my life relatively undisrupted by Covid, yet it’s still really draining dealing with kids home from school and people having mental breakdowns.

NRL players have to deal with all these same problems, plus constantly relocating their families, plus the pressure to perform every week. I’m honestly impressed with how well most are handling it.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I’m curious about how teams can tackle this. Teams are able to apply for medical retirement for a player, when it’s apparent that the injury is so severe that it’s going to prevent the player from fulfilling their duties.
Surely based on that, there has to be something similar in the pipelines for mental health.
In no way is it Fusitua’s fault, but currently the Warriors are taking the brunt of the impact - a $500k winger only playing 12 out of 45 games.

I don’t have the answers, and it would be a difficult one to navigate, as setting a precedent could be a huge issue moving forward, but if we’re stuck for the next 2 years paying out a $500k contract and getting nada for it, that could be the difference between us getting 2 $600k players instead of 2 $850k players for the next 2 years - a huge disadvantage

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’m curious about how teams can tackle this. Teams are able to apply for medical retirement for a player, when it’s apparent that the injury is so severe that it’s going to prevent the player from fulfilling their duties.
Surely based on that, there has to be something similar in the pipelines for mental health.
In no way is it Fusitua’s fault, but currently the Warriors are taking the brunt of the impact - a $500k winger only playing 12 out of 45 games.

I don’t have the answers, and it would be a difficult one to navigate, as setting a precedent could be a huge issue moving forward, but if we’re stuck for the next 2 years paying out a $500k contract and getting nada for it, that could be the difference between us getting 2 $600k players instead of 2 $850k players for the next 2 years - a huge disadvantage
I’m guessing in this years‘s instance his situation has been the same as any player with a season ending injury, it’s just part of the risk a club takes. If he’s back playing Qld cup hopefully that means he’s good for next year. It’s a valid question though as to what out a club would have if a player was to essentially medically retire due to mental health issues.

Matua

Bench
I just assumed he was injured (physically) for most of this time.

As to whether mental health issues happened in the past then definitely, look at JK, he's frequently talked about his mental health issues back as far as an AB in the 80s.

Blair

Coach
Naomi Osaka is making headlines with this too.

In regard to Fusitua, his wife was posting that she 'needs him home', etc. That would contribute to any heavy state of mind he was having.

Now let me be a bit light with the Fus thing. She had him home, with the baby, for a while, then realised the great wicket they're on with his Warriors gig, so she sent him packing back to Queensland!

I need a smiley with that last paragraph, I think.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I’m guessing in this years‘s instance his situation has been the same as any player with a season ending injury, it’s just part of the risk a club takes. If he’s back playing Qld cup hopefully that means he’s good for next year. It’s a valid question though as to what out a club would have if a player was to essentially medically retire due to mental health issues.
Yeah that’s what I mean - where’s the precedent. He clearly hasn’t been well for the last few years, however last year was COVID and he played at the start of this year - so you probably can’t lump all of that in together, even though if it’s mental health it’s probably all the same issue.

I dunno, just stings that it’s holding us back I guess.
If he even came back at 75% of what he was I’d be pleased at this point

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

In regard to Fusitua, his wife was posting that she 'needs him home', etc. That would contribute to any heavy state of mind he was having.

Now let me be a bit light with the Fus thing. She had him home, with the baby, for a while, then realised the great wicket they're on with his Warriors gig, so she sent him packing back to Queensland!

Haha I’ll pay that. But even jokes aside it’s pretty relatable.

Rich102

Staff member
Part of my concern is that, because of the amount of money we pay these guys, they can't get off the rollercoaster.
Best thing for Fus would probably be to go back to Auckland and chill out for a while and then get a regular job. I didn't realise he didn't have his family with him.

We need to release Fusitua. He and NIkorima are the only blight in our cap. We have tidied that all up the past 2 seasons. Great work done with our recruitment. The mental illness factor with Fusitua is understandable and I feel he was forced to go back to Australia as the family will lose loads of money. I hope we can come to a middle ground and sort that out ASAP. We need to utilize every cent in our cap wisely. Fusitua needs to sort his priorities out pronto in this professional environment.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We need to release Fusitua. He and NIkorima are the only blight in our cap. We have tidied that all up the past 2 seasons. Great work done with our recruitment. The mental illness factor with Fusitua is understandable and I feel he was forced to go back to Australia as the family will lose loads of money. I hope we can come to a middle ground and sort that out ASAP. We need to utilize every cent in our cap wisely. Fusitua needs to sort his priorities out pronto in this professional environment.
We’re at the end of a season. I wouldn’t be showing him the door, but I’d be setting an expectation that he needs to decide if he’s back 100% or wants out. we can’t afford to give him another year to work on himself.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

I'm really in two minds with the Osaka thing. I'm huge on mental health, and I certainly would not like to make light of anyone who is suffering mental illness. But with Osaka, I really feel like it's blurring the lines between 'struggle' and 'mental health'. You're meant to struggle in life. You're meant to face hardship. Not everything feels great. I'm really worried that a generation of young people think that negative emotions=mental illness. That's just not true. I'm a teacher, and I see so much of it.

I'm really in two minds with the Osaka thing. I'm huge on mental health, and I certainly would not like to make light of anyone who is suffering mental illness. But with Osaka, I really feel like it's blurring the lines between 'struggle' and 'mental health'. You're meant to struggle in life. You're meant to face hardship. Not everything feels great. I'm really worried that a generation of young people think that negative emotions=mental illness. That's just not true. I'm a teacher, and I see so much of it.
I don't think life should be hard though. This notion of accepting hardship as a normal day to day thing has to go away. Life has gotten complex with so much more of ones life exposed to the public. The pressures are very different from yesterday year and the way we are heading its only going to get even more exposure. Osaka case seems legit but I get your point with how it could be used as an excuse too.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Life shouldn't be hard? Life is hard. It shouldn't be all encompassing, but nor should it be consistently joyous. My life is hard. But it's wonderful. I have to drag my arse into exercise for 40mins a day that I'd rather not do. I love my job, but aspects of it are arduous. I adore my kids, but F me they're hard and we choose to parent the hard way - ie no screens, lots of learning, patience etc. I'm setting myself up for the future by doing things like renovating on my weekends, saving money etc. All that stuff is hard work. But I'm always aware it's worth it.

Again, I'm very aware that a lot of athletes face mental health issues. I was OK with the Simone Bilas stuff after talking to gymnasts who said it's a scary way to be when you're not mentally right in their sport. Naomi Osaka is clearly going through some issues too. And she is absolutely right to step away from the game if it's overwhelming. I dunno, I see this so often as a teacher. These young people think that hardship is a time to stop. That hardship = mental illness. Teaching in lockdown has been such an eye-opener for me. There seems to be a range of excuses as to why these kids can't do something.

JJ

Immortal
Life shouldn't be hard? Life is hard. It shouldn't be all encompassing, but nor should it be consistently joyous. My life is hard. But it's wonderful. I have to drag my arse into exercise for 40mins a day that I'd rather not do. I love my job, but aspects of it are arduous. I adore my kids, but F me they're hard and we choose to parent the hard way - ie no screens, lots of learning, patience etc. I'm setting myself up for the future by doing things like renovating on my weekends, saving money etc. All that stuff is hard work. But I'm always aware it's worth it.

Again, I'm very aware that a lot of athletes face mental health issues. I was OK with the Simone Bilas stuff after talking to gymnasts who said it's a scary way to be when you're not mentally right in their sport. Naomi Osaka is clearly going through some issues too. And she is absolutely right to step away from the game if it's overwhelming. I dunno, I see this so often as a teacher. These young people think that hardship is a time to stop. That hardship = mental illness. Teaching in lockdown has been such an eye-opener for me. There seems to be a range of excuses as to why these kids can't do something.
Love what you’re saying, life if f**king hard, no mistake

not sure why you question Osaka, I think she genuinely has mental health issues, I find her behaviour and struggles very convincing in that respect

fwiw I also have sone experience/expertise in tgat space, which I think just goes to show how complex it all is, and we’re both just seeing snippets

Most Pacific Island players that become professional footballers well professional athletes as well become the made bread winner not only for their immediate family but also their wider family. Aunties, Uncles even relatives they have never met they semmingly have to provide some sort of monetary support. I dont know if that is what Fus has to do but for him to suffer mental health issues forcing him back home last year BUT coming back this year for even longer and staying out of 1st grade seems very odd.

We all hope he gets himself sorted.

But as a buisness im happy to see him cut. Could use his salary elsewhere. Very happy with DWZ and Marcelo as our wingers. Even though they have the odd error they always get in and have a dig

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Love what you’re saying, life if f**king hard, no mistake

not sure why you question Osaka, I think she genuinely has mental health issues, I find her behaviour and struggles very convincing in that respect

fwiw I also have sone experience/expertise in tgat space, which I think just goes to show how complex it all is, and we’re both just seeing snippets
Nah you're exactly right. I wasn't questioning Osaka, or at least I didn't mean to. I just meant that the reporting of it - around how she feels sad when she loses and relief, not joy when she wins - is quite ambiguous. It's not her job to clear it up, either. I just wonder about how people take that message.

But then I read this of a morning, and it completely changed my perspective on what I'm saying:

I mean, this is absolutely f**ked.

Social media is the greatest scourge on our society, I would suggest in the history of mankind. I just f**king hate it.

Latest posts