What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

possm

Coach
As of right now our squad next year will be ( if Sims does in fact leave )

1. Tyrell Sloan
2. Matthew Feagai
3. Zac Lomax
4. Jack Bird
5. Mikaele Ravalawa
6. Junior Amone
7. Ben Hunt
8. Blake Lawrie
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Francis Molo
11. Jaydn Su’a
12. Tyrell Fuimaono
13. Jack De Belin
14. Moses Mbye
15. Josh McGuire
16. Josh Kerr
17. George Burgess
18. Cody Ramsey
19. Max Fegai
20. Billy Burns
21. Daniel Alvaro
22. Jackson Ford
23. Poasa Fa’amusili
24. Jayden Sullivan

If Sims does leave we will have 6 spots to fill

Obviously this doesn’t include guys like Jayden Hunt and Gerard Beale who I believe will get released but may not

Josh Coric and Jackson Shereb will definitely be development players IMO

So 6 spots

I would assume a fair bit of money in the bank

Personally I reckon Griffin will look for
- Another Centre preferably Moses Suli if that deal comes off
- Another Backrower - I have this odd feeling that it might be Adam Elliott
- One of either Aaron Woods or Dylan Napa
- A backup dummy half which is a must
- and an extra depth forward and back
It is about time we hired a new recruitment officer because although we have changed a lot of staff, our players are still ill-disciplined, lacking 80min concentration and with very little imagination or flair.

I'd say we still need to move on Millward and Horan. May even consider moving on the assistant coaches, and also put Griffin on notice.

We have plenty of young talent and should have blooded them more this season for first grade next season. So for me, I would go to the market to ensure we have the very best spine that we can afford. So:

1. Mbye and Sloan
2. Ramsey and Matt Feagai
3. Suli and Max Feagai
4. Lomax and Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa and Stewart
6. Bird and Amone
7. Hunt and Sulivan
8. Molo and Lawrie
9. McCullough and
10. Burgess and New prop
11. Su'A and Ford
12. Burns and New 2nd rower
13. De Belin and Fui

Let Go: Dufty, Pereira, Beale, Williame; Norman, Sims, Ellis,

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So we said adios to 7 players who were in attendance for the Dragons awards.

My understanding is, those 7 being:

Clune
Williame
Norman
Beale*
JP
Dufty
Ellis

* Not sure about Beale, maybe it is JHunt that was tapped. Someone can confirm though.

I would also gather that others, who didn't travel to QLD have left already eg: McInnes, Brittain & H. Lomax

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Mbye signing was dumb, he's going to compete with the youngsters for the same spot. Either bench utility or somewhere in the spine, unless we play him at centre or roving lock type role. I would rather we get games into the younger players. We could've got Conor Watson or Tyrone Peachey for a similar price, both players are vastly better than Mbye. Mbye at 400k is still overs imo. It's a poor signing which is disappointing as we've made some great ones recently.

Trifili13

Juniors
Not sure we even tried to get Watson, but even if we tried, it has been widely reported that he went for unders to the Rooster's. He even called Robbo personally asking if there was a position for him. Based on the above, no way would he have come to us unless we paid way overs.

Gareth67

First Grade
You are correct about the money being $150k as Andrew Johns kicked up a bit of a stink about it . The Knights offered him $350k yet he still left for the rorters.

He was after a pay increase , but took $200k less to go back to the chooks . Something is rotten in Denmark - once again .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As we currently stand our '22 squad is;

11 Backs
Hunt, Ramsey, Bird, Sullivan, Mat F, Max F, Rava, Suli, Amone, Sloan, Lomax

* note 1 - no word on whether Beale is staying or going (I believe gone)

1 Utility
Mbye

14 Forwards
Macca, Burns, Lawrie, Alvaro, JDB, Ford, Kerr, Burgess, Molo, Sua, Maguire, Faamasili, Sims, Fuimaono

* note 2 - Sims given permission to look around but still contracted for '22
* note 3 - no word on whether they will sign on with Jayden Hunt (I believe wont be re-signed)
* note 4 - rumour of seriously looking at Lussick as a back-up hooker (is a possibility but I hope not!)

Taking out those mentioned as "notes 1, 3 and 4" and Sims staying for '22, we have 26 signed players.

IE: 4 spots to fill.

The Development Squad (DS)- 5 (unconfirmed)
Luke Gale, Shalom O'Ofou, Jackson Sherab-Schmidt, Josh Coric, Connor Muhleisen

1 spot left

This is where we stand as of now. Of course this may change quickly with the Sims situation and maybe a few 'others' getting a tap to look elsewhere (I can think of 2 straight up).

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Mbye signing was dumb, he's going to compete with the youngsters for the same spot. Either bench utility or somewhere in the spine, unless we play him at centre or roving lock type role. I would rather we get games into the younger players. We could've got Conor Watson or Tyrone Peachey for a similar price, both players are vastly better than Mbye. Mbye at 400k is still overs imo. It's a poor signing which is disappointing as we've made some great ones recently.
Peachey for mine but the young guys next year will need breaks look at walker from chooks young and small like our guys coming through a week off every four weeks or so to help them get used to it.

Lethal25

Juniors
I believe Mbye has been brought in not only to fill several spots but to provide some leadership. He's a very smart and measured guy and wouldn't surprise me if he transitions into coaching down the track.

Whilst I agree he's not exactly what's required on the field, he's absolutely what we need off the field

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
if a player is suspended:

Does that mean we only pay a base contract for those week suspended ?

or nothing at all ?

McGuire suspended for 6 week could mean 25% less of his contract ?

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I believe Mbye has been brought in not only to fill several spots but to provide some leadership. He's a very smart and measured guy and wouldn't surprise me if he transitions into coaching down the track.

Whilst I agree he's not exactly what's required on the field, he's absolutely what we need off the field

plenty of other guys available for off-field leadership who can be more useful to our team on field.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
As we currently stand our '22 squad is;

11 Backs
Hunt, Ramsey, Bird, Sullivan, Mat F, Max F, Rava, Suli, Amone, Sloan, Lomax

* note 1 - no word on whether Beale is staying or going (I believe gone)

1 Utility
Mbye

14 Forwards
Macca, Burns, Lawrie, Alvaro, JDB, Ford, Kerr, Burgess, Molo, Sua, Maguire, Faamasili, Sims, Fuimaono

* note 2 - Sims given permission to look around but still contracted for '22
* note 3 - no word on whether they will sign on with Jayden Hunt (I believe wont be re-signed)
* note 4 - rumour of seriously looking at Lussick as a back-up hooker (is a possibility but I hope not!)

Taking out those mentioned as "notes 1, 3 and 4" and Sims staying for '22, we have 26 signed players.

IE: 4 spots to fill.

The Development Squad (DS)- 5 (unconfirmed)
Luke Gale, Shalom O'Ofou, Jackson Sherab-Schmidt, Josh Coric, Connor Muhleisen

1 spot left

This is where we stand as of now. Of course this may change quickly with the Sims situation and maybe a few 'others' getting a tap to look elsewhere (I can think of 2 straight up).
I didn’t think the development players were part of the top 30?

Gareth67

First Grade
Hopefully Danny Weidler’s report about Suli signed and no excess fee to Manly is on the money on this occasion .

So would he be playing outside of Lomax or inside ? I believe outside would be far better as can you imagine the brute force of both Suli and Ravawala on the opposing back line !

This would allow Lorax to work closer to the scrum base and form a more skillful combination with one of our exciting young halfs .

With Suli’s signing will come a far more potent Dragon attack and defense which we have been screaming for soooo loooong now .

Well done Griffo and recruitment , may you continue to sign players that will take the Big Red V to the finals .

Last edited:

SGMax

Juniors
Looking at those that are leaving: Norman, Pereira, Dufty, Vaughn, Ellis, Williame, Beale(?)

The new additions: Molo, Sua, Burgess, Mbye, Suli,....

I think Dragons are looking stronger for 2022.
With a few more spots to fill, imagine if we can add Kikau or Brandon Smith.
I would also take Klemmer if available. Need one more tough prop at least.

Could be a big turnaround next year if they all play to their potential.

possm

Coach
With Norman and Clune leaving and Ben Hunt likely to be selected at hooker in 2022, I can see the need to look for some experience in the halves with youngsters Sullivan and Amone likely to be selected in first-grade next season.

However, I do agree there were better players on the market who could have filled that spot.

Latest posts