What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The New Norman

McCullough is already the new Norman for mine - a panic-buy. At less than half the price but completely unnecessary and could take a while to shake it off. At least Norman started off strong for us until he got a smashed cheekbone from Sivo... that'll dent anyone's confidence running to the line.

And before anyone thinks I'm defending/in favour of Norman - no I don't think he was right for us. I think they panic bought him to compensate for the "premiership window" opportunity when Widdop decided to go to the UK. Didn't work out...

As for who else??

Mbye seems a nice guy. But as the saying goes - nice guys finish last.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
McCullough is already the new Norman for mine - a panic-buy. At less than half the price but completely unnecessary and could take a while to shake it off. At least Norman started off strong for us until he got a smashed cheekbone from Sivo... that'll dent anyone's confidence running to the line.

And before anyone thinks I'm defending/in favour of Norman - no I don't think he was right for us. I think they panic bought him to compensate for the "premiership window" opportunity when Widdop decided to go to the UK. Didn't work out...

As for who else??

Mbye seems a nice guy. But as the saying goes - nice guys finish last.
Even with the power of hindsight, who do you suggest we should have played instead of McCullough? Sullivan was injured and Clune wouldn't have been up to the week in week out of starting hooker. I don't think he should be our long term solution, but after mccinnes did his knee it was the only competitive option we had. Hunt had already been give the keys to halfback and Hook wasn't going to backflip so suddenly. Not to mention the dearth of leadership, it was objectively the right call

Even with the power of hindsight, who do you suggest we should have played instead of McCullough? Sullivan was injured and Clune wouldn't have been up to the week in week out of starting hooker. I don't think he should be our long term solution, but after mccinnes did his knee it was the only competitive option we had. Hunt had already been give the keys to halfback and Hook wasn't going to backflip so suddenly. Not to mention the dearth of leadership, it was objectively the right call

A few things...

1 - Keep McInness. Yep he left for various reasons but the conversation should always have been targetted re-assure him he was a huge priority to lead our team and play hooker. But even if that conversation was had, and he would go anyway..

2 - Give Billy Brittain a crack. Young bloke, who got an opportunity last year based on impressing the club with trials, effort etc etc. Sadly got knocked out in a game (v Souths?) so didn't get much time. He can't be fairly judged on last year in the NRL - it was fleeting.

3 - Go all out to get Brandon Smith. Even if not this year (2021), secure him for when he's available. They've since offloaded a number of players to free up enough money to make a big old offer to him.

4 - Don't sign a 31-year old Andrew McCullough to a 3 year contract. Still blows my mind...

mickeylane

Bench
A few things...

1 - Keep McInness. Yep he left for various reasons but the conversation should always have been targetted re-assure him he was a huge priority to lead our team and play hooker. But even if that conversation was had, and he would go anyway..

2 - Give Billy Brittain a crack. Young bloke, who got an opportunity last year based on impressing the club with trials, effort etc etc. Sadly got knocked out in a game (v Souths?) so didn't get much time. He can't be fairly judged on last year in the NRL - it was fleeting.

3 - Go all out to get Brandon Smith. Even if not this year (2021), secure him for when he's available. They've since offloaded a number of players to free up enough money to make a big old offer to him.

4 - Don't sign a 31-year old Andrew McCullough to a 3 year contract. Still blows my mind...
no chance McCulloch sees out 3 years...the game is lightning fast and he's a pro to admit just like Merrin did that he will be struggling w the pace...100% next year his last IMO

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I don’t blame Saints baulking at signing McInnes for four years. Glad they didn’t as they saved money for player of similar ability and contributed to Ben Hunt having his best year.

no chance McCulloch sees out 3 years...the game is lightning fast and he's a pro to admit just like Merrin did that he will be struggling w the pace...100% next year his last IMO

I agree... and so I still shake my head why he got a 3yr gig. There's just no justification for that length.

I'd get the rationale if it was a year, and 2 at a stretch. And as insurance/backup to McInness if he stayed or left - remembering Mcinness hadn't officially signed to leave until after we'd got McCullough.

Merrin - was happy to leave and not stay around to chase a dollar/payout. That's selfless. I have so much respect for him for that - always did but that made it even moreso. James Graham - there was an end-game for him - PR - he was taken care of by the club with the contract he got - and he earned it. I had a lot of respect for the club taking care of him like that.