What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How are Storm the most popular club?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ah f*ck em!

If Melbournians want to follow a team with no local juniors, mostly transplanted Queenslanders, New South Welshmen etc, purely because of “success” be my guest.

I’d rather follow a team who has endured the humiliation of the wooden spoon as well as the premiership winning glory years, simply because they have the best local talent nursery in the competition. Hence why I’ve followed them since the 1980’s when we moved to the area.
Funnily every time I warch Storm lift a premiership, break another record or pick up yet another minor premiership I think “well that was sht we only had one local player in the team”,
actually no I don’t lol.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Funnily every time I warch Storm lift a premiership, break another record or pick up yet another minor premiership I think “well that was sht we only had one local player in the team”,
actually no I don’t lol.

Given their track record of rorting the salary cap, though, you’ve got to wonder if they’ve “lifted that premiership” artificially, no?

Chippy73

Bench
Given their track record of rorting the salary cap, though, you’ve got to wonder if they’ve “lifted that premiership” artificially, no?
I'm guessing Storms would be more cautious on the cap then most clubs given the devastating punishment they received a decade ago.

greenBV4

Bench
Nicol Klokstad - NZ
fun fact, Nicol Klokstad was actually signed to the Storm's NYC side from the Altona Roosters (NRL Vic), he moved to Melbourne from NZ when he was 14 or 15 so not a born and bred junior, but was first discovered playing in Victoria.

Another reason we shouldn't of got rid of the NYC, Melbourne would likely fill a youth side with more Victorians than their senior sides, giving those youth a better competition to play in, in turn making them better players.

sheepbender

Juniors
I've lived down here since 2010.
Friday nights games were on at 2am and 4am Saturday back then.
There were clandestine pub meets to watch a streams of games too.
Then digital came, finally games were on GEM.
Even now News programs at 6 regularly leave out anything on the Storm or RL, even when they're playing on the same night, in a final.
The locals legit do not care about the team, nor the sport. Most still don't understand the difference between League and Union. There'd be a minority of Victorian born supporters, whilst the majority of supporters are Ex Pat Qld, NSW, NZ, Islands etc
And the quality of the local comp is at best 3rd division in Brisbane or Sydney comparatively speaking.
The Storm may be popular and fun to watch, but they don't really engage the Victorian community a great deal.

fun fact, Nicol Klokstad was actually signed to the Storm's NYC side from the Altona Roosters (NRL Vic), he moved to Melbourne from NZ when he was 14 or 15 so not a born and bred junior, but was first discovered playing in Victoria.

Another reason we shouldn't of got rid of the NYC, Melbourne would likely fill a youth side with more Victorians than their senior sides, giving those youth a better competition to play in, in turn making them better players.
Yes mate, when looking through the player lists on some folk I saw that. Jeremy Smith was an Altona Roisters junior too, and also Gareth Widdop Widdop (after moving from the UK).

And agree on the NYC.

blaza88z

Coach
I have Melbourne's fan base taking a dip (when Bellamy calls it quits) like Barcelona FC's is going to take a dip now that Lionel Messi has gone to another European club

I got nothing against genuine Victorians who are Melbourne fans, I am happy for them and I hope they can continue to get behind a successful team in the NRL.. however, if you are one of those simple minded single digit IQ muppets who live in QLD/NZ or even Penrith and/or Perth (don't @ me) and have decided that Melbourne is your team with zero real affiliation with the area other than seeing them dominate, give yourself an uppercut

Melbourne is not a successful expansion in the purest form, it's a successful club because they've got one of the best coaches in the game and they systematically cheated to gain an unprecedented advantage which enabled them to retain 3 of the best players in their respective positions (probably the best in their respective position, only Cronk could be debated) and there after they've been able to bring through kids from other systems

I haven't seen anything that tells me that if Melbourne were to start idling away just outside the 8 that their fans would get out in numbers

I haven't seen anything that tells me that if Melbourne were to start idling away just outside the 8 that their fans would get out in numbers

How would that differ from other clubs in the comp?

Would other clubs maintain the same crowd averages if they did the same?

But back to the point of the thread - that's part of the reason I feel they are one of the most popular clubs in the comp - coz they have maintained such success over a long period of time. Who knows if/when they'll slide out of the 8..

blaza88z

Coach
How would that differ from other clubs in the comp?

Would other clubs maintain the same crowd averages if they did the same?

But back to the point of the thread - that's part of the reason I feel they are one of the most popular clubs in the comp - coz they have maintained such success over a long period of time. Who knows if/when they'll slide out of the 8..

Because it genuinely feels like Melbourne doesn't have a huge fan base that would hang around in times of adversity (not talking about a 1 season cameo either where they can't accrue competition points)

It's nearly impossible to answer your question about crowd averages with the pandemic, Brisbane would be a good comparison but not when every game is being played in QLD, naturally our average will be the highest

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because it genuinely feels like Melbourne doesn't have a huge fan base that would hang around in times of adversity (not talking about a 1 season cameo either where they can't accrue competition points)

It's nearly impossible to answer your question about crowd averages with the pandemic, Brisbane would be a good comparison but not when every game is being played in QLD, naturally our average will be the highest
There is literally no club that doesn’t see a dip in attendances when they turn to sht lol
the only club, based on your definition, with a loyal fanbase is Newcastle. The rest bandwagoners :)

in reality nearly every clubs fanbase can be split into the die hards (around 10-12k for most) the casuals who’ll turn out for big games or if the KO time is right (2k) the bandwagoners who only attend when the going is good (2-4k)

Generalzod

Immortal
If only the NRL contributed more money to the Warriors, Rugby league will be thriving in all levels in New Zealand, All these Storm premierships wins and what added value to Rugby League??

Generalzod

Immortal
I remember watching an Anzac match with the Warriors and Storm, Prior to the game starting they did their usual Anzac day presentation instead of Gallipoli soldiers who had died for their country shown on the sails of the Stadium, they had the likes of Cameron Smith , Bromwhich and co, how dare they compared themselves to fallen soldiers

Last edited:

The Broncs are a standout club with respect to crowds, and yes their dip in form has coincided with the pandemic. Cowboys would be another with high crowd numbers in tough times, along with the Knights. All experience a drop at the turnstiles when the team has gone south - but not to the point of averaging below 5 figures.... Unlike a team like mine - the Dragons. The dogs too, or even souths. "Big" sydney clubs, granted the dragons play out of the gong a bit.

Thing is - we've not yet seen a drop in the Storm on the ladder apart from 2010 when they lost all their points. There- is part of the reason they have got a significant fan base, and more membership than many other NRL clubs. Whose to say if it's fairweather or not - coz they have been at/near the top end of the ladder for the majority of their existence. To me, they are a standout club who've been able to get a strong, respected foothold in Victoria when most people derided the thought when they came into to comp.

I've not lived in Melbourne but was there most weeks for work in for about 3 years. While not suggesting the city isn't anything but an AFL stronghold - it appeared to me similar to what the Swans have in Sydney, a relatively small but significant fan base. You wouldn't suggest a large percentage of people in sydney would follow the swans, far from it. But there's a decent enough fan base for the club who go to the games.

Many people don't like the storm for their own reasons - fair enough. I'm not a fan of theirs but really respect what they've been able to do.

Chippy73

Bench
The Broncs are a standout club with respect to crowds, and yes their dip in form has coincided with the pandemic. Cowboys would be another with high crowd numbers in tough times, along with the Knights. All experience a drop at the turnstiles when the team has gone south - but not to the point of averaging below 5 figures.... Unlike a team like mine - the Dragons. The dogs too, or even souths. "Big" sydney clubs, granted the dragons play out of the gong a bit.

Thing is - we've not yet seen a drop in the Storm on the ladder apart from 2010 when they lost all their points. There- is part of the reason they have got a significant fan base, and more membership than many other NRL clubs. Whose to say if it's fairweather or not - coz they have been at/near the top end of the ladder for the majority of their existence. To me, they are a standout club who've been able to get a strong, respected foothold in Victoria when most people derided the thought when they came into to comp.

I've not lived in Melbourne but was there most weeks for work in for about 3 years. While not suggesting the city isn't anything but an AFL stronghold - it appeared to me similar to what the Swans have in Sydney, a relatively small but significant fan base. You wouldn't suggest a large percentage of people in sydney would follow the swans, far from it. But there's a decent enough fan base for the club who go to the games.

Many people don't like the storm for their own reasons - fair enough. I'm not a fan of theirs but really respect what they've been able to do.
I've noticed a lot of Polynesian/Maori families at Storm home games....this community seems to make up a significant component of their Victorian fanbase.