What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How are Storm the most popular club?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have got a mate come from Victoria lives in Sydney now, We got talking about Rugby League in Victoria and he said to me dont listen to any of the hype unless your an ex pat NSW welshman, or predominately from an Islander community these people like the Storm, the rest of the other community dont really care...
you say that likes its a bad thing? Who cares as long as its giving people in Melbourne who are interested reason to sustain that interest in RL.

Canard

Immortal
Says more about the kind of shameless, entitled bandwagoner who is happy to bang on about Maroon superiority when Qld teams are winning, but drops them as soon as the success dries up.
Bandwagon fans are only in QLD apparently.

That's in no way a cooked take.

Generalzod

Immortal
Perth Red providing evidence that refutes his own arguments. That's a special kind of stupid right there.
The graph is there for all to see...It doesnt make for great stattistics when it comes to Victoria, The NRL can get rid of them and it wont make the slightest iota to the ratings...

sheepbender

Juniors
I have got a mate come from Victoria lives in Sydney now, We got talking about Rugby League in Victoria and he said to me dont listen to any of the hype unless your an ex pat NSW welshman, or predominately from an Islander community these people like the Storm, the rest of the other community dont really care...
Agreed. Like I said, media coverage is nearly non-existent. AFL is top, then Basketball, Cricket, Motorsports, Horse Racing... All are deemed of more importance to the the Melbourne public by the Melbourne Media than the Storm.
Victorian born locals aren't willing to learn the game, aren't willing to go along to AAMI Park.
They wouldn't miss it if the Storm were relocated.

Living in Melbourne and loving League is an effort.

big hit!

Bench
If it stopped reducing funding to NZRL it'd be even better!

As for Storm value; top 3 most watched club on TV. GF ratings from massive Melbourne viewership growth for the big one. Only place we are actually encroaching into AFL land. Increased sponsorship value of having more than two big cities in the comp. Top three supporter bases in the country.
Plenty of value to be had if you take off the hate glasses

2020 NRL TV RATINGS
TOP 8
1 Eels 378,000
2 Storm 360,000
3 Rabbitohs 354,000
4 Raiders 350,000
5 Roosters 345,000
6 Broncos 343,000
7 Wests Tigers 338,000
8 Panthers 330,000

BOTTOM 8
9 Cowboys 315,000
10 Sharks 314,000
11 Knights 313,000
12 Sea Eagles 306,000
13 Dragons 297,000
14 Bulldogs 287,000
15 Titans 271,000
16 Warriors 271,000
*Fox Sports & Kayo figures

Webster had an article in smh yesterday headlined "the last time NRL should pander to AFL" or along those lines.

I didn't bother reading it, but I assume it's due to the time change of this saturday's match.

Why does the narrative have to be created this way? Like it is some sort of defeat?

Even merkin on 360 was against it, saying people who'll want to watch rugby league will watch rugby league and that he's got no interest in the AFL. No shit jughead! It just means there will be far fewer nationally, and particularly in victoria as they do have an interest in AFL.

The persecution complex from the majority of folks who follow rugby league is astounding.

The earlier scheduling is a win for NRL. It means many more people in Melbourne will watch a Melbourne team play in a preliminary final. What's the point of having a Melbourne team if you're not getting eyeballs on their games when they are successful?

And the match is now practically stand alone. It overlaps towards the end of the match with the beginning of All-Blacks/Springboks. In contrast, Wallabies/Pumas and the AFL GF are on at the same time.

mongoose

Coach
regional-ratings-breakdown-1.png

So basically if im looking at this graph you would say that no one cares about Rugby league in Victoria.
shows how underwhelming Sydney's ratings are. Their ratings are only 50% better than Brisbane even though they have 250% more people and 900% more teams LOL .... f**king Sydney

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
shows how underwhelming Sydney's ratings are. Their ratings are only 25% better than Brisbane even though they have 250% more people and 900% more teams LOL .... f**king Sydney
Then we have to question as to why people have fallen out with the game, especially in greater Sydney..

Jamberoo

Juniors
Webster had an article in smh yesterday headlined "the last time NRL should pander to AFL" or along those lines.

I didn't bother reading it, but I assume it's due to the time change of this saturday's match.

Why does the narrative have to be created this way? Like it is some sort of defeat?

Even merkin on 360 was against it, saying people who'll want to watch rugby league will watch rugby league and that he's got no interest in the AFL. No shit jughead! It just means there will be far fewer nationally, and particularly in victoria as they do have an interest in AFL.

The persecution complex from the majority of folks who follow rugby league is astounding.

The earlier scheduling is a win for NRL. It means many more people in Melbourne will watch a Melbourne team play in a preliminary final. What's the point of having a Melbourne team if you're not getting eyeballs on their games when they are successful?

And the match is now practically stand alone. It overlaps towards the end of the match with the beginning of All-Blacks/Springboks. In contrast, Wallabies/Pumas and the AFL GF are on at the same time.
The headline was a bit misleading. It did state the PVL was all talk, but mainly went on about the battle for Brisbane v AFL and expansion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The graph is there for all to see...It doesnt make for great stattistics when it comes to Victoria, The NRL can get rid of them and it wont make the slightest iota to the ratings...
1million viewers a season? nope no difference at all. Did you miss the bit where Storm are in the top 3 audiences on TV??

big hit!

Bench
Then we have to question as to why people have fallen out with the game, especially in greater Sydney..

Canterbury and St.Merge being horrible wouldn't help. They'd be top 3 or 4 in support in the Sydney Metro you'd think, but the list shows their fans, as well as the general population, have deserted them.

I can't remember Canterbury ever being wooden spooners (cap scandal aside), or having any extended length of time outside the finals, in my lifetime, and I was born in the 70s.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe its the teams that they are playing that are drawing the TV crowd, cause it aint happening in TV land in Victoria...
or maybe the Storm are a national brand with a wide audience who enjoy watching them play? It would be some coincidence if every club they played got a spike in their own viewers by chance lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Canterbury and St.Merge being horrible wouldn't help. They'd be top 3 or 4 in support in the Sydney Metro you'd think, but the list shows their fans, as well as the general population, have deserted them.

I can't remember Canterbury ever being wooden spooners (cap scandal aside), or having any extended length of time outside the finals, in my lifetime, and I was born in the 70s.
surely you're not suggesting sydney fans are also band waggoners? I thought it was only Melbourne fans that would do that?

Generalzod

Immortal
or maybe the Storm are a national brand with a wide audience who enjoy watching them play? It would be some coincidence if every club they played got a spike in their own viewers by chance lol
i dont watch them because i enjoy them ..