What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The off contract thread 2023

Chipmunk

Coach
So 8 slots available without moving anyone else already signed for next year on.

We've already made the decision on Ferguson (apparently on $500k), the only other one in the best 17 is Cartwright (apparently on about $175k). So that is $675k, but only 455k above the minimum wage.

None of the others would be even on $150k, so that's only $40k (max $240k all up for all six) above the minimum wage at the moment (let's call it $180k for all six to be conservative)

That leaves us with about $635k available above the minimum wage.

This obviously doesn't take into account any upgrades to contracts for next season for current players. Let's say half of that figure has gone on player upgrades.

This leaves us with $315k-$320k above the minimum wage to play with, for eight players and at least two of those will be Top 17 players.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So 8 slots available without moving anyone else already signed for next year on.

We've already made the decision on Ferguson (apparently on $500k), the only other one in the best 17 is Cartwright (apparently on about $175k). So that is $675k, but only 455k above the minimum wage.

None of the others would be even on $150k, so that's only $40k (max $240k all up for all six) above the minimum wage at the moment (let's call it $180k for all six to be conservative)

That leaves us with about $635k available above the minimum wage.

This obviously doesn't take into account any upgrades to contracts for next season for current players. Let's say half of that figure has gone on player upgrades.

This leaves us with $315k-$320k above the minimum wage to play with, for eight players and at least two of those will be Top 17 players.
None of us know the numbers but these all seem like reasonable assumptions to me.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cartwright and Stone off the list. Good stuff. Stone will be back on it in November:

Off contract:
Ferguson
Hughes
Lussick
Oldfield
Rankin
Roache
Smith

Lussick looks like having his 2022 sorted but I'll wait for official confirmation.

jason taylor

Bench
I just noticed Lussick's move is official:

Off contract:
Ferguson
Hughes
Oldfield
Rankin
Roache
Smith

Maybe Smith for another season as a depth player (seems to be the go with him the last few season, and he is a handy utility when required) and Hughes who is still developing, but I can see the rest being let go.

Ferguson - pretty clear from the media that he’s gone. Personally wouldn’t oppose a giving him another season.

Oldfield - we have Opacic, Russell and Laizou as cover for the backline. I’d go for youth rather than a fringe first grader “veteran” in this case.

Rankin - doesn’t seem like he’s close to getting a look in first grade. Though worth keeping on a one year deal if Smith isn’t retained.

Roache - I’m 50/50 on this one. With Lussick gone, we need a backup hooker, which Roache is capable of filling. However, his track record with injuries is a worry.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Off contract
Ferguson - bye bye, reinvest the coin...
Smith - must retain (1yr) - as we have no other viable halves or dummy half back-ups...
Rankin - will be 30 - only extend on minimum contract for 1 yr (unless better option available)
Roache - young enough, might develop - extend on minimum contract for 1-2yrs (unless better available)
Hughes - very young, retain - minimum contract 1yr extension (unless someone else better comes along)
Oldfield - over 30 - only extend on minimum contract for 1yr (unless better option available)

yy_cheng

Coach
Off contract
Ferguson - bye bye, reinvest the coin...
Smith - must retain (1yr) - as we have no other viable halves or dummy half back-ups...
Rankin - will be 30 - only extend on minimum contract for 1 yr (unless better option available)
Roache - young enough, might develop - extend on minimum contract for 1-2yrs (unless better available)
Hughes - very young, retain - minimum contract 1yr extension (unless someone else better comes along)
Oldfield - over 30 - only extend on minimum contract for 1yr (unless better option available)
Fergo - agreed. Dunster's improvement means he should be one of the wing spots.
Ranking - not worth extending.... BA will play JA before him especially also if we sign W Smith

If our halves go down, I would really have Russell at FB and Gutho at 6. But JA will get first crack I reckon

the phantom menace

First Grade
Forgot all about J Arthur... so yes, can let Rankin go too.

Russell looks promising, and I'm a fan of Gutho playing the odd game in the halves if injury demands.

yy_cheng

Coach
Forgot all about J Arthur... so yes, can let Rankin go too.

Russell looks promising, and I'm a fan of Gutho playing the odd game in the halves if injury demands.
As much as I love Gutho at FB for the non-attacking stuff and he is excellent at it, especially kick diffusals, rucking out, cover defense, I agree with everyone else that he needs just that little bit of pace and footwork that could make him awesome like Latrell and Turbo.. These players know they can score... Gutho knows he needs to depend on others...

I reckon Russell can be moulded into a Turbo player like player but he probably won't be as good as Gutho in the other areas.... A roving Russell from the Wing ala Semi?

Chipmunk

Coach
Rankin - doesn’t seem like he’s close to getting a look in first grade. Though worth keeping on a one year deal if Smith isn’t retained.
Why would you bother keeping a bloke at the back end of his career, that the coaching staff seem reluctant to even bother giving a game to after two years?