What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Reynolds

blaza88z

Coach
I get why Souths made the decision but I would be stunned if one of their juniors simply stepped in and made it a faultless transition, it takes years for them to develop into that sort of player.

We haven't had a top tier game organizer since Lockyer retired.

wazdog

Juniors
I get why Souths made the decision but I would be stunned if one of their juniors simply stepped in and made it a faultless transition, it takes years for them to develop into that sort of player.

We haven't had a top tier game organizer since Lockyer retired.

I wish we gave him the extra year he wanted.

In saying that we took the punt by going with Reynolds over Sandow who was largely untested at the time.

At the moment, we have four players who from our Jersey Flegg team who won the comp in 2019 who have played first grade this year Taaffe and Lachlan Ilias (who both can play in the halves) and Paulo and Mamouzelos. It looks like we're banking that Ilias will step into first grade full time with Milf playing the 14 role in support.

Johns Magic

Referee
I think Souths management think the culture and structures there are good enough to do what Melbourne do.

For all this talk of it taking 10 years to replace a champion halfback, Jahrome Hughes replaced Cronk without skipping a beat.

Souths haven’t missed Inglis, they haven’t missed Burgess(or George for that matter).

Maybe Souths are good enough to get away with it. But I think without Bennett it’s a much bigger gamble.

The_Frog

First Grade
For all this talk of it taking 10 years to replace a champion halfback, Jahrome Hughes replaced Cronk without skipping a beat.
Not exactly correct. They tried Brodie Croft, Ryley Jacks and Scott Drinkwater as well as Hughes in 2018 before Hughes became the regular half the following year.

Johns Magic

Referee
Not exactly correct. They tried Brodie Croft, Ryley Jacks and Scott Drinkwater as well as Hughes in 2018 before Hughes became the regular half the following year.

Yes true. But in the grand scheme of things they replaced him internally pretty seamlessly.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think Souths management think the culture and structures there are good enough to do what Melbourne do.

Souths haven’t missed Inglis, they haven’t missed Burgess(or George for that matter).

Maybe Souths are good enough to get away with it. But I think without Bennett it’s a much bigger gamble.
When it comes to filling holes Storm are an outlier. No one comes close really.

I think when you have had a quality halfback for a while you take it for granted that you can get another one without too much fuss. I know when we had Brandy, then Freeman before Brandy came came back followed up with Gower it didn't seem to be a position we would struggle with. I couldn't have been more wrong. Apart from Soward stepping up when he was really a 6 we had a very bleak 10 years or so until Cleary filled the void.

Souths are taking a huge risk imo. I would have prioritised Reynolds over Walker. Cody is no spring chicken, and he is a few years or one serious injury away from a rapid decline given his style. Reynolds could still be close to effective as he is now in five years if he still wants it.

yobbo84

First Grade
We were a top 4 side and have lost top talent like Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess, John Sutton, George Burgess, Luke Keary, Angus Crichton, Issac Luke, etc - and have remained a top 4 side.

We have lost plenty of other first graders now at other clubs like Adam Doueihi, Cam McInnes, Api Koroisau, Corey Allan, Nathan Brown, Hymel Hunt, Jack Gosiewski, Sifa Talakai, Tyrell Fuimaono, Mawene Hiroti, Connor Tracey, Tom Amone, Bailey Sironen, etc.

We have brought through from our juniors guys like Cameron Murray, Keaon Koloamatangi, Campbell Graham, Alex Johnston. Guys no-one but Souths fans have heard of.

We have made astute lower-grade signings like Damien Cook, Cody Walker, Tevita Tatola, Taane Milne, Hame Sele, etc and seen them improve.

We have picked up some top-tier signings as required like Latrell Mitchell, Jai Arrow or Benji Marshall.

The next generation of Blake Taaffe, Lachlan Ilias, Peter Mamouzelos, Davvy Moale, Jaxson Paulo have all made their NRL debuts and shown plenty.

Reyno is a loss, no doubt. As a half he's of vital importance, and as I said, I would have kept him longer. But the good clubs manage these transitions just fine.
So, yeah. Turns out it was a great move for all involved.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Ilias has played beyond expectations and has rapidly gotten better with each game. I am someone who was furious with us losing Reynolds and I am happy to be proven wrong.

Reynolds will forever be a club legend as a premiership winning halfback. But now Ilias could also become a cornerstone of our spine for the next 10 years. Not many clubs can transition from one long term successful halfback to another, but so far it is looking good for us.

Floodwaters

Juniors
Ilias has played beyond expectations and has rapidly gotten better with each game. I am someone who was furious with us losing Reynolds and I am happy to be proven wrong.

Reynolds will forever be a club legend as a premiership winning halfback. But now Ilias could also become a cornerstone of our spine for the next 10 years. Not many clubs can transition from one long term successful halfback to another, but so far it is looking good for us.

Rabbits fans are fickle, I reckon I could find a post from even you calling for blood early in the season.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Rabbits fans are fickle, I reckon I could find a post from even you calling for blood early in the season.
Did you even read the first paragraph you quoted? I admitted in that post I was furious then and I am very glad I have been proven wrong

betcats

Referee
I think Illias has justified the decision this year, he had some growing pains but overall he has been very good for a rookie halfback. Defends really well, kicks well, plays smart footy when Cody and Latrell let him, i think he has a big future.

Latest posts