What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt - Best Season to Date

Brutalitops

Juniors
Hunt just had a season where, when counting (and his season) ended, he was up with the likes of Turbo, RTS and Cleary, and was beating the likes of Tedesco. This despite the multitude of bullshit surrounding him in the club, and partnering Corey Norman. All while captaining for the first time in his career.

Hunt is the face of the club and a great one at that. How lucky we are to have Hunt hitting his stride right when our next generation have him around to learn from

He missed over a third of this season through injury. If he can replicate a season like that injury free he may win a Dally M.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Hunt wasn't overpaid until this year, we just wasted Hunt until this year. He didn't suddenly become a new player.

Considering the position we were in in 2017 when he signed, and the halves market boom of the era, it was just what was necessary at the time

This Year?

Immortal
I've bagged Hunt mercilessly in the past and even though he's had a few moments, this season has easily been his best. I think the captaincy has done wonders for him and the way he carries himself on and off the field is exemplary. These were the types of things I was hoping to see from him when he signed with us.
So nice to have something positive to say about the Dragons for a change.

Brutalitops

Juniors

Hunt speaking quite candidly about that grand final and the mental health toll. A pretty good watch

Honestly the more I've looked at Hunt this year the more convinced I am that he is among my favourite SGI players ever. It's not just about carrying the team to success, if you only judge from that metric he had the odds stacked against him anyway considering we were a team completely lost for the majority of his contract, either through coaching, board or fellow player antics.

But the Dragons actually have one of those 'face of the club' type players in Hunt and you can't discount the effect he can have in that role for us. If we put aside skill and premiership comparisons for the sake of the argument, I find Hunt to be one of those players like Cronk, Smith, Thurston etc in the sense that players want to play with him. His Origin performances and the way he goes about captaincy for us wouldn't have gone unnoticed to the rest of the NRL. For players considering a dragons offer, playing with Ben Hunt might seal the deal.

I don't really have any doubt that if you had put 2021 Ben Hunt into a successful team and system, there would be little doubt he was a million dollar player.

thebigredv

First Grade
A captain's knock today on the biggest regular season match of the year.

He is worth his weight in gold for his defence alone. Made some crucial one-on-one tackles, as he does every week. Great 40/20 at just the right time, and handled the halves as best he could with the injuries hitting in the second half. The ball to Molo for the try was not as easy as it looked.

We often want to see him win us games for the amount he is paid. Well, today he did that. Kudos to you, Ben.

shiloh dc

Juniors
Sure Hunt played well today but he is still yet to get the backline to play well. One of the reasons the Dragons will continue to be hampered by the Salary Cap is because you have rags like the Telegraph tonight insisting the Dragons should increase and extend Hunt's contract. Who is that freelance novice. Why him and not one of the established journo's write the article so we can see your true colours

Trifili13

Juniors
The 40/20 Hunt kicked, I don't think he was going for, I think it was just a clearing kick and he got lucky and add in that Tupou let it run over the sideline. I would be more concerned with the one he put over the sideline on the full in the first half when he had no room to work with and still tried to put up a floating bomb instead of either kicking it more infield or if he still wanted to go down to narrow side to put up a more conventional kick where he has more control.

BLM01

First Grade
The 40/20 Hunt kicked, I don't think he was going for, I think it was just a clearing kick and he got lucky and add in that Tupou let it run over the sideline. I would be more concerned with the one he put over the sideline on the full in the first half when he had no room to work with and still tried to put up a floating bomb instead of either kicking it more infield or if he still wanted to go down to narrow side to put up a more conventional kick where he has more control.
he said he was not going for it, just worked out :)
You have to understand until you get used to playing at the SCG the ground seems bigger than it is due to the seats being setback and it is easy to be disorientated where the side line is for kickers etc.
He worked it out quickly and was OK then on. He does not kick out on the full too often anyways!