What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tom Trbojevic (2021) v Jarryd Hayne (2009) - Who was better?

Who was better?

• Total voters

Wizardman

First Grade
In terms of best ever seasons for an outside back that I've seen, Tommy T wins. The only thing Hayne did better than Tommy was ball play. Every other area, Tommy was better than Hayne this year.
All this destructive play was done in only 15 games. I'd say for at least ten of those games, he would have been in the top three players on the field.
No discredit to Hayne at all but Tommy took things to completely another level.

Munky

Coach
Hayne got to run off Fui Fui's charges, on other hand had Robson and Mortimer in the headless.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think Hayne was better all round, in terms of what he did across the board. He was a more skilful player so his 2009 run incorporated that.

But I think Turbo's run was the best individual form I've ever seen. He took what he did best and dialled it to 11. His stats are insane. But he also did a lot himself, where Hayne created and maybe it finished four passes later.

Plus V'landys ball makes it hard to compare directly

Hayne for mine. In 2009 Jarryd played in 26 matches in the NRL (including finals and the Grand Final) as opposed to Tom's 18 games. Hayne did it against all the contenders that season, whereas Tom's mainly were against teams in the bottom half of the draw. Add in that Hayne dragged his team to the Grand Final, that outs him over the top in my opinion.

Both great feats in their respective seasons, just I think Hayne's was better is all.

Fangs

Coach
The Hayne Plane.

But still time for Tom T 2022 and beyond. He isn't as skilful as Hayne but he can be more damaging running the ball.

Tom was dominant throughout all his time on the field in 2021 while (from memory) Hayne was good all year but ramped up his dominance at the back end of the year.

I voted Tom on that basis… although Hayne possibly got to a higher level, and got his team into a GF.

mongoose

Coach
hard to judge as this season is a bit of an anomaly in terms of stats. Turbo has been amazing but I feel that he has taken advantage of the style of the game the same way the Storm have usually by dismantling poor teams. Is this Storm team really the greatest attacking team of the modern era as well?
Hayne on his day (in 2009) was more destructive and unpredictable imo. The spine he had to work with in that Parra team made it even more amazing.

Munky

Coach
Is this Storm team really the greatest attacking team of the modern era as well?

The Storm's transition from defence to attack as a team this year was the best I've ever seen.

Obviously trained for it as opposed to relying on a freak at full back/wing to create something. The Storm have those freaks but the entire team would play off it on tackle two and three.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'm going Hayne. The eels finished 8th and only then because of Hayne getting them there. He then guided them almost single handedly into the grand final from 8th spot.

Turbo's team lost 2 out of 3 finals and the win was against a cooked roosters.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Hayne. So many crazy skills. And scored an impossible try against the best defensive side for years.
This is exactly the thing that swayed me. That try vs the Dragons was nuts. I don't recall anyone being able to come up with a plan that shut Hayne down, like Melbourne did with Tommy T. Hayne created all the play in that Eels side with stuff all in the halves, while Tommy T had Foran, DCE to provide him with space.

mxlegend99

Referee
Would have said Turbo easily until he went missing in the finals. His regular season was incredible. He was involved in 3 to 5 tries a game. But when he was needed in finals he really wasn't all that good. Unlike Hayne who seemed a better big occassion player

3 weeks ago Turbo at 1 was my dream for my club in the finals thinking it would be a cheat code basically throwing him in. But Blake Taafe has arguably been better in the finals series.

Latest posts