What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tom Trbojevic (2021) v Jarryd Hayne (2009) - Who was better?

Who was better?

• Total voters

mozza91

Coach
I’d just give the nod to Hayne, hard to split but Hayne was doing it in a peak Wrestlemania year whereas Tommy T did it in a hyper speed year.
The quality of football was so much better in 2009 too. The rule changes haven’t made the product any better. All PVL and co have done is bastardise an already great game.

Last edited:
Hayne for mine. In 2009 Jarryd played in 26 matches in the NRL (including finals and the Grand Final) as opposed to Tom's 18 games. Hayne did it against all the contenders that season, whereas Tom's mainly were against teams in the bottom half of the draw. Add in that Hayne dragged his team to the Grand Final, that outs him over the top in my opinion.

Both great feats in their respective seasons, just I think Hayne's was better is all.

Its a good point on games played/opposition…

Although that’s one of the reasons I lobbed for Tom. He won the Dally M medal with the “least games played” in history - won the count most weeks…scored the most tries in manly history.. he has stats like a video game.. ridiculous

The Eagles were also a complete pile of shite at the start of the year, then he comes back, they go onto make a prelim final.

Hayne played all year and his Eels finished 8th, flogged in the last round by the Dragons. I was back at Kogarah the next week where we fell in a heap and Hayne tore it up.. he took them one step further than Tom.

The quality of the comp was arguably much weaker this year than in 09.. But funnily both of them got cleverly shut down by Bellamy and the Storm in the finals (albeit the 09 Storm was … ahem… a tad over the cap).

Some of Haynes stuff was the most sublime league player I’ve ever seen. But Toms stats and what he did to turn what was a maroon turd into a maroon force is ridiculous too.

Rod

Bench
Before this year the 2 best individual runs of form I've seen were Johns in '05 and Hayne. This Turbo run is right up there, but as others have said it's hard to compare when the game is so tailored towards attack at the moment.

I think gun to the head I would still go Hayne as #1.

The_Frog

First Grade
Much, but not all, of Tom's heroics was against shit sides already beaten. Manly had a really creamy draw this year especially after he returned from injury. Hayne could perform against the best but even he was hit and miss.

Bazal

Post Whore
Tommy Turbo was better and it has nothing to do me still being salty about what Hayne did to the Dragons in week 1 of finals in 2009.
CostlyClosedBalloonfish-max-1mb.gif

Someguy

First Grade
Is this Storm team really the greatest attacking team of the modern era as well?

hell NO!! They don’t have a half back or 5/8 just fullbacks. They were the team best suited to Vlandys ball, fast game where big men rolled up the middle and speed finished it off.

As the wrestle came back late in the season they could not produce attack without the fast play the balls and momentum. No true playmakers in the halves just guys that played on momentum and they just got bogged down and tried to score off crash plays and lucky bounces from kicks

blaza88z

Coach
Manly fans will probably come at me with pitchforks but Tommy T's worst games were against the top 3 sides in the comp, you can probably excuse him for 1 bad game but it was 2 in 3 weeks. His team got pumped in those games, Wayne Bennett made reference to it in the post-game press conference without actually saying Turbo's name he definitely insinuated there was a bit of luck regarding how Manly were in a prelim.

Manly fans will probably come at me with pitchforks but Tommy T's worst games were against the top 3 sides in the comp, you can probably excuse him for 1 bad game but it was 2 in 3 weeks. His team got pumped in those games, Wayne Bennett made reference to it in the post-game press conference without actually saying Turbo's name he definitely insinuated there was a bit of luck regarding how Manly were in a prelim.

Good point. That 2009 Dragons team was pretty sound defensively and Hayne just shredded us up and farted out a big cloud of red and white confetti in front of a capacity crowd of the thirstiest Dragons fans at Jubilee.

Two Stroke Tommy just turtled himself against Souffs. Weak as piss performance.

Ploiz. Seriously, this comparison is a joke.

P.s: And I’m a Tommy fan! But this is silly. Hayne-Train has Pop-Gun Tommy in his hip-pocket when we are comparing these two years. It really isn’t close.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
In hindsight I think Turbo 2021 is more like Hayne 2014 than Hayne 2009?

Hayne 2009 did absolutely every-f**ken-thing and carried us to a grand final despite being in a spine with Jeff Robson, Daniel Mortimer and Matt Keating

2014 Hayne scored 20 tries and f**k knows how many assists in a team that came tenth. Semi had 19 and I think Ken Sio on the wing had like 12 and then next best was Vai f**ken Toutai or some scrub in single digits?

Actually on that maybe even 2014 Hayne is better than 2021 Turbo? At least Tommy had Garrick scoring a million points, Saab scoring 25 tries cos V'landys ball and DCE at half over f**ken Sandow