What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Grand Final: Souths v Penrith Oct 3rd

JokerEel

Coach
You just ignored the whole problem. The Pennys get away with murder with their blockers. Hence lack of kick pressure.

Penriths blockers were set perfectly to protect Cleary.

Souths just had players stand next to the play the ball and walk at the markers..

It was well played by Ivan actually.

TheRam

Coach
I actually dont mind listening to Brandy talk football. I find him similar to sterlo one of the most knowledgeable in the game.

He has a very good memory about games and players as well when i listen to him on SEN.

I rate him as a better analyst then the rest of them on fox compared to dribblers like Anasta, Parker

Most of the analysts know their shit when talking about pure football. It's all the other stuff they bring like character and bias that is the issue here and Alexander is bias. He should definitely be banned from calling or analysing Panthers games because when discussing anything slightly controversial or those 50-50 calls for instance he will rarely ever side against the Panthers or minimise the impact or importance of it and move on if it doesn't favour them. It is all subtle stuff mate, but it is happening and now has just become so very annoying.

There are very few non bias commentators in the game being so former player heavy. That's why someone like James Graham is a breath of fresh air. Well spoken, great analysis, non bias with a genuine enthusiasm for every team and player that deserves it.

Mark Gasnier used to be the same. I wish he never left and would come back, while we have imbecilic like Blocker and Spud grace our screens. Oh the injustice of it all. Will no one think of the children?

TheRam

Coach
If we were doing 3-2-1

id go

3 Yeo - Easily best forward on the paddock for mine
2 To'o - Same as he has done in a ton of games, except no tries
1. Could have gone to 4-5 players

EDIT: In Hindsight, Cleary should be right up there, his kicking was bang on, and a main reason why Souths camped in their own end attack and defence. he ran a lot more than normal, at times looked dangerous
Mate, I don't know what game many of you guys were watching but

Cleary and To'o were the best two on park, then take your pick of 4-5 others from both teams for 3rd place.

But without those two Panthers don't come close.

TheRam

Coach
No that's true. By the time Price was Murray's age he had only played a single season of first grade rugby league. Murray has already played in three preliminary finals and a grand final. I guess Price had played for the Wallabies, though it doesn't really compare. Who the f**k are the Wallabies.

Price had also played in finals matches and a Grand Final too mate and was by far the best forward in the game from his first ever season in league as he was in Rugby in an era when they were actual quality. His aggression, skill and speed leaves Murray's for dead. No one prior or since has that something extra that Pricey had. Mental ferociousness. That single bloody mindedness to win at all cost that complimented all the talent and skill he also had. People also underestimate his passing game, it was right up there with the best of them.

Murray isn't even considered the best outright lock in the game. Get a grip mate.

Who the f**k is @Poupou Escobar?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Murray isn't even considered the best outright lock in the game.
Murray has already won Dally M Lock. Price didn't win it until much later in his career.

I think your judgement is clouded by remembering Price over his entire career, but by the time he was Murray's age he hadn't proved anything.

Murray probably won't achieve the same heights as Ray Price by the time he's 33, but I'm sure you'd struggle to name a current player more like Ray Price than Cam Murray.

TheRam

Coach
Murray has already won Dally M Lock. Price didn't win it until much later in his career.

I think your judgement is clouded by remembering Price over his entire career, but by the time he was Murray's age he hadn't proved anything.

Murray probably won't achieve the same heights as Ray Price by the time he's 33, but I'm sure you'd struggle to name a current player more like Ray Price than Cam Murray.

Mate, were the Dally M's even around in 1976? And as for not proving anything, few would argue that Price was the best forward in both Rugby and Rugby League from around 1973 onwards. Also before 1980 and Pricey doing his ACL, Pricey was the best attacking forward in either code as well as being the best defender in either code in the world. After he did his ACL and if I remember correctly, was the first ever player back then to play on without surgery, he lost some of his speed and lateral movement and focused more on his defensive game. Remember ACL's back then were a horrendous injury and very primitive in the way they would try to fix them. For some players that was it and of career.

Yes you are right, Murray will definitely not achieve what Price has, but that is no slight on him. Only a very select few are in Pricey's category after all. That's why he should be an immortal mate. Der!

As for naming a current player that is like Ray Price, you are right, I couldn't name one because there are none. The closest we have seen is a young Nathan Hindmarsh, but he didn't have the natural fierce competitive nature that Price had and demanded from everyone around him. But early on he was a weapon in both attack and defense. Pity he didn't have the temperament that made Pricey so unique in our game and someone that when asked opposition players both feared and respected as the ultimate competitor.

Rocket man

Juniors
Mate, were the Dally M's even around in 1976? And as for not proving anything, few would argue that Price was the best forward in both Rugby and Rugby League from around 1973 onwards. Also before 1980 and Pricey doing his ACL, Pricey was the best attacking forward in either code as well as being the best defender in either code in the world. After he did his ACL and if I remember correctly, was the first ever player back then to play on without surgery, he lost some of his speed and lateral movement and focused more on his defensive game. Remember ACL's back then were a horrendous injury and very primitive in the way they would try to fix them. For some players that was it and of career.

Yes you are right, Murray will definitely not achieve what Price has, but that is no slight on him. Only a very select few are in Pricey's category after all. That's why he should be an immortal mate. Der!

As for naming a current player that is like Ray Price, you are right, I couldn't name one because there are none. The closest we have seen is a young Nathan Hindmarsh, but he didn't have the natural fierce competitive nature that Price had and demanded from everyone around him. But early on he was a weapon in both attack and defense. Pity he didn't have the temperament that made Pricey so unique in our game and someone that when asked opposition players both feared and respected as the ultimate competitor.
Price was also named as one of the greatest 100 players 1908-2007 ARL/NRL

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

There's a reason Price isn't an Immortal. I suspect like most fans, you overrate Ray Price. I'm sure our 80s team was great but that also doesn't require that some or even just one of the players be even close to Immortal class. We've seen that with the Roosters' dominance this decade.

Lastly, if Ray Price had been so good as Eels fans claim, he would've ended up at a bigger club.

TheRam

Coach
There's a reason Price isn't an Immortal. I suspect like most fans, you overrate Ray Price. I'm sure our 80s team was great but that also doesn't require that some or even just one of the players be even close to Immortal class. We've seen that with the Roosters' dominance this decade.

Lastly, if Ray Price had been so good as Eels fans claim, he would've ended up at a bigger club.

Mate you obviously have no idea about that era. We were hands down the biggest club of that era.

King Kong and Godzilla rolled into one FFS!

hindy111

Post Whore

You asked for it

f**kwit

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mate you obviously have no idea about that era. We were hands down the biggest club of that era.

King Kong and Godzilla rolled into one FFS!
Well we managed to accumulate a great roster and signed a great coach. Was Gibson in high demand at the time or only afterwards?

You have to ask yourself why recruitment/retention fell off a cliff so quickly. Within five years we were back to pre-1975 levels.

Suitman

Post Whore
Well we managed to accumulate a great roster and signed a great coach. Was Gibson in high demand at the time or only afterwards?

You have to ask yourself why recruitment/retention fell off a cliff so quickly. Within five years we were back to pre-1975 levels.

That wasn't the discussion.
He was certainly in demand. We won 3 Premierships under his regime.
Sure, we had a lucky spell of amazing juniors come through at the time, but all of them were nobody's until Jack came along. With Ron Massey as well.
If you want to dispute this or discuss Jack's worth at the time, do it with someone else.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Didn't Manly try and nab Pricey?

Sometimes merkins are indescribably loyal. The fact that Pricey didn't take up an offer elsewhere isn't really evidence of anything.

That said, I agree with the idea that Parra fans overrate that team. I watched all of the GFs again after we lost to Penrith. We were good enough to beat the opposition at the time but watching it again, we were sloppy. I guess all teams were sloppy back then.

Suitman

Post Whore
Didn't Manly try and nab Pricey?

Sometimes merkins are indescribably loyal. The fact that Pricey didn't take up an offer elsewhere isn't really evidence of anything.

That said, I agree with the idea that Parra fans overrate that team. I watched all of the GFs again after we lost to Penrith. We were good enough to beat the opposition at the time but watching it again, we were sloppy. I guess all teams were sloppy back then.

It's all relative to the era in which the game was played.
81', 82', 83, 86. Premiers.
No team has won 4 premierships in 6 years since.
Why is our domination in that era even being questioned?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
It's all relative to the era in which the game was played.
81', 82', 83, 86. Premiers.
No team has won 4 premierships in 6 years since.
Why is our domination in that era even being questioned?
Or 3 in a row.

I don't think our domination is being questioned. Thats not how I read it.

My take is the whole team of champions v champion team concept with some cheeky commentary on where our individual players sat relative to other individuals.

The reason we were great was becuase of the combination of all players. If you look at every individual, we did not have a single player that you could comfortably argue was the best in their position at the time.

Pricey, in fairness is probably the closest example.

Latest posts