What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Mickov

Juniors
Not a lot available NOW. We should have had our recruitment wrapped up and ready to go with quality rather then fishing in the bucket of dross when now find ourselves in.
Not a lot available this year at all, maybe Finucane and we had a crack and missed out, who else was there, not much from memory. Dragons really need to start building from within but going to take time and unfortunately some budget depth to tide us over until we get a big fish!

I see clearly now that Mary’s gone, No more suffering from that clown.

...and that you are not a selector
Sims prop, Lomax f/b Sloan ressies?

I had not heard Billy Burns was leaving. Great we let a promising big bopper prop in Blacker go for him then jettison the new bloke after one year. Great recruitment.

Lawrie in my starting side. New buy Woods off the bench

hewi

Bench
Whatever it is, he's had a massive surgery on his hip and no league player has ever had it. 50yo's have hip resurfacing. Even if he comes back & plays without any pain & then is at the same level as 1st grade would be a big massive achievement.

He will be fine. As an aside Anthony Mundine had it so he could keep boxing.

Parko1310

Juniors
Hahahahaha

Woods.

f**k this club.
I don’t understand some of the hatred coming from the signing. It’s a 1 year deal, meaning Woods is doing nothing but plugging a hole in the side. I’ll ask you who else on the market you would’ve preferred us sign for next year? The market was quite thin from the get go this year and hook has done a good job to get who he has. Woods will mostly be playing reserve grade next year, however McGuire is suspended for the first four-five rounds. So, in those early rounds Woods keeps players like Kerr, Alvaro and Poasa out of first grade. That’s an improvement. We should be happy as fans with the direction the club is going after so much pain for so long. The club understands Woods won’t deliver us a trophy, but in the meantime whilst the market is slim they are looking to improve their squad where they can for next year, with a paramount focus on the future. Don’t get too impatient now, there is finally actual direction in the club and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I honestly don’t think we’ll be making the top 8 next year (obviously I can hold out hope) but I think 23 might see our return to the finals. People are too quick to judge hook. They’ve got the knives out saying “he’s got his squad next year so we’ll judge him then”. No, he doesn’t have his squad. You can’t build “your squad” after a season or even two at a club. It takes time. As long as we are seeing continuous improvement, that’s all you can ask right now after the coach inherited an utter shit show. We’re quick to forget we were tipped for the wooden spoon this year, yet we sat in the 8 for the majority of the season. Give the club some time to build, not one season. Yes we have some money to spend but let’s not use it to do a Newcastle and buy anyone and everyone. After all, where are they now? Simply a bog average team. Our club seems to have higher end goals than that, which should see us fans enjoy riding out this wave and supporting the direction of the club.

SBD82

Coach
I don’t understand some of the hatred coming from the signing. It’s a 1 year deal, meaning Woods is doing nothing but plugging a hole in the side. I’ll ask you who else on the market you would’ve preferred us sign for next year? The market was quite thin from the get go this year and hook has done a good job to get who he has. Woods will mostly be playing reserve grade next year, however McGuire is suspended for the first four-five rounds. So, in those early rounds Woods keeps players like Kerr, Alvaro and Poasa out of first grade. That’s an improvement. We should be happy as fans with the direction the club is going after so much pain for so long. The club understands Woods won’t deliver us a trophy, but in the meantime whilst the market is slim they are looking to improve their squad where they can for next year, with a paramount focus on the future. Don’t get too impatient now, there is finally actual direction in the club and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I honestly don’t think we’ll be making the top 8 next year (obviously I can hold out hope) but I think 23 might see our return to the finals. People are too quick to judge hook. They’ve got the knives out saying “he’s got his squad next year so we’ll judge him then”. No, he doesn’t have his squad. You can’t build “your squad” after a season or even two at a club. It takes time. As long as we are seeing continuous improvement, that’s all you can ask right now after the coach inherited an utter shit show. We’re quick to forget we were tipped for the wooden spoon this year, yet we sat in the 8 for the majority of the season. Give the club some time to build, not one season. Yes we have some money to spend but let’s not use it to do a Newcastle and buy anyone and everyone. After all, where are they now? Simply a bog average team. Our club seems to have higher end goals than that, which should see us fans enjoy riding out this wave and supporting the direction of the club.
If they truly want to work towards the future, I’d rather they give an opportunity to someone young and upcoming with a view to development, rather than give a contract to another over the hill player.

Hook I don’t have a problem with. So please spare me the sanctimonious bullshit about “supporting the direction of the club”. I’ve tolerated the inept governance of this club by the Board of Directors for long enough.

denis preston

First Grade
This won't appease the naysayers on here ! I still think that Hooks pass mark has to be the 8 next season as the depth in good sides fall off the cliff after about 4th or fifth. You only have to win half your games so surely that is not difficult if you are moving in the right direction.

Parko1310

Juniors
If they truly want to work towards the future, I’d rather they give an opportunity to someone young and upcoming with a view to development, rather than give a contract to another over the hill player.

Hook I don’t have a problem with. So please spare me the sanctimonious bullshit about “supporting the direction of the club”. I’ve tolerated the inept governance of this club by the Board of Directors for long enough.
Personally I’d rather woods for a year than rushing josh coric into first grade before he’s ready. Other than coric, we don’t have young up and coming props in and around the squad currently.

SBD82

Coach
Personally I’d rather woods for a year than rushing josh coric into first grade before he’s ready. Other than coric, we don’t have young up and coming props in and around the squad currently.
Why does it have to be from within? Why couldn’t we sign someone with potential and use our high quality coaching staff to improve them?

SBD82

Coach
I’m sure we’ll still be looking for another forward to sign. But I’ll ask again.. who on the current market? Take a look at the 2021 off contract list and it’s slim pickings.
I’d rather see the club sign someone that you and I have never heard of, with the aim of developing them into a better footy player.

This is how we get value out of the cap. By signing players at value and then improving them during their contract.

We have signed Woods at his value. He will not improve while at the Dragons, meaning that we don’t get actual value.

The good clubs get value. We aren’t one of them.

Gareth67

First Grade
Perhaps the new recruits will be able to help bring Posa Famasuli’s game to the next level .

He is young and built like a brick shat house , he only needs confidence to develop into a good prop .

Surely with the likes McGuire , Burgess and now Woody there is a wealth of experience for him to draw upon .

Dragsters

First Grade
Mate, that was 7 years ago. Will be 8 years once the season begins. He's had a hip replacement and no one knows if he'll be right to play. I'm hoping he can firstly play and then maybe get 15-20mins of effectiveness from him.

True.it was a while back but he is only 30-odd and he apparently had that hip pain throughout his time at souffs and post surgery is pain free so that's promising imo.

Especially from a value perspective...

denis preston

First Grade
I’d rather see the club sign someone that you and I have never heard of, with the aim of developing them into a better footy player.

This is how we get value out of the cap. By signing players at value and then improving them during their contract.

We have signed Woods at his value. He will not improve while at the Dragons, meaning that we don’t get actual value.

The good clubs get value. We aren’t one of them.
It looks as if we haven't signed Woods at his value but way under it. This someone you are talking about , who & where is he ?