What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Redcliffe Dolphins to join NRL in 2023

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Such a missed opportunity imo.
This team won't bring any new fans to the game, preaching to the choir.

Perth or South Island NZ would have grown the game.

Yeah but you know, the f**k the Broncos crowd just had to have their day. Not that we're complaining, another team to keep the Broncos honest is only a good thing.

blaza88z

Coach
Those are massive markets.

Redcliffe has its own history in the BRL and QRL comps which should be adopted, not shunned.

100% agree, 72 years of history and they want to go with a broader name for regional attraction purposes

If you are a die hard Redcliffe fan you'd be spewing

Last Week

Bench
I've never understood the comment about the comp being the lowest in quality ever. Like, what's the measurement for that?

Are we going to point towards the amount of blow out scores this year? Because that's not indicative of poor quality players, just poor quality rosters, coaching and salary cap management,

beave

Coach
I've never understood the comment about the comp being the lowest in quality ever. Like, what's the measurement for that?

Are we going to point towards the amount of blow out scores this year? Because that's not indicative of poor quality players, just poor quality rosters, coaching and salary cap management,
and poor rules of the game. The 6 again bullshit, the high tackle crackdown that ruined 16 weeks of footy that also magically disappeared during the finals. Combine that with your above statements about rosters, coaching and salary cap management and yeah, the comp is pretty shit at the moment IMO.

Been following the game for 30 years and I've never been this happy to see the end of the season.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
I think it would be stupid to call themselves Redcliffe then play out of Suncorp seeing as it is 40kms away. That would be like Penrith playing their games at ANZ.
If they go with Redcliffe they will be playing in an 11k stadium.
Just go with Brisbane and let the Broncos sort themselves out a new name if there cant be 2.

Last edited:

ReddFelon

Juniors
I'm guessing The Dolphins is going to be a place holder, while they focus group a location name over the next year. They tried the non-location with the Dogs in the 2000s, ended up going back to Canterbury-Bankstown pretty quickly.

dogslife

Coach

There's always been bad teams and poor salary cap management, but when has the gulf between the best 2 or 3 teams and the rest of the competition been so stark before though?

You can actually pinpoint the decline of the standard as well. When the competition went on break last year due to the first round of lockdowns and the NRL didn't want to sit around and look like they were doing nothing.

Adding another team to the competition and dispersing the lack of talent even further should definitely help things though...

flippikat

Bench

I'm not denying there's a big gap between the best & the worst teams in the comp, and that the top few have quite a march on the rest.. but I feel it's been hugely exacerbated by the lack of lower grade footy through this pandemic.

Last year, neither the NSW or Qld Cup competitions could be completed, this year the NSW Cup was abandoned - that's a huge blow to a club's fringe players & youngsters - the guys who would usually stake their claim for first grade spots with solid performances in the 2nd tier. It also means if injuries/suspensions bite into the squad, some of the replacements may be short a gallop (so to speak).

Once the lower tiers are running again, IMO the depth will have a chance to regenerate.

T-Boon

Coach
Play the the more significant games like derby matches at Suncorp. The 11k stadium is Redcliffe looks fantastic and that is all a new team needs.
The Penrith v Parra derby should always be at Bankwest....
11k capacity is ridiculously small when the best rectangular stadium in the country is also within the geographic area you want to take over or at least get your piece of.
Brisbane Dolphins