What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
Rugby league will slowly die. Results is we are getting wealthier and more knowledgeable.
That's what will end it. People understand now concussions are concerning. And plenty of people won't let their kids play it based on more and more information on head knocks. Watch all the guys who played in the 80s and early 90s for bread and butter come out for compensation soon. I see a huge legal class action.
Ultimately I think this is what kills rugby league and nothing else.

Delboy

First Grade
So Hindy,heading the ball wil kill soccer ( cases agst the FA already), AFL will suffer too. Basketball will be ok, but given NFL is still No 1 in the USA, and college still attracting huge numbers,going to be interesting for a few years yet.

In the 70s when The Socceroos qualified for the World Cup, We were told that was the end for all other sports and soccer would take over completely within 10/15 years and the other football codes would collapse due to vast junior numbers and corporate dollars, still waiting🤔

King-Gutho94

Coach
Thoughts on the effect Redcliffes entry may have on The Storm. Spider senses reckon the monopoly they have had on Qld talent may disappear quickly particularly if The Broncos improve as well. One can only hope. Not too many juniors coming through in Vic.

Yep i reckon it will be just as big impact on Melbourne as the broncos.

Melbourne coming into the comp has basically taken over the broncos mantle of being the powerhouse team of QLD recruits. In that catchment area.

Broncos haven't been the same storm come in especially as Melbourne took their recruitment manager off them in the early 2000s and basically grabbed all the best juniors from QLD

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
If you're a strong kid sure. Soccer is popular cause it's skill based not power.
Na, size / strength isn’t an issue with league until mods (even the first 2 years aren’t that bad), and generally they are graded by then. And by 13’s or so, you know if the kid is suited to league or should be playing oztag …….

Parents not letting their kids play minis because of size/to rough, never intend to let their kids
play…

on soccer, try getting all the kids involved? Almost impossible, it’s pretty difficult to make the ball go to a certain kid, without the defence on them to allow them to have a decent kick…..

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Watch all the guys who played in the 80s and early 90s for bread and butter come out for compensation soon. I see a huge legal class action.
Ultimately I think this is what kills rugby league and nothing else.

Brett hornsell / James McManus say hi…..

hindy111

Post Whore
So Hindy,heading the ball wil kill soccer ( cases agst the FA already), AFL will suffer too. Basketball will be ok, but given NFL is still No 1 in the USA, and college still attracting huge numbers,going to be interesting for a few years yet.

In the 70s when The Socceroos qualified for the World Cup, We were told that was the end for all other sports and soccer would take over completely within 10/15 years and the other football codes would collapse due to vast junior numbers and corporate dollars, still waiting🤔

NFL has so much money behind it thou. They can pay off injuries. They also have a lot more population and people willing to risk it. A poorer nation as well.
I don't expect NRL to collapse. I hope it doesn't but I know plenty of Nrl fans who wouldn't let their kids play league. In the 80s I reckon most kids parents would of let them play.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Not a fan of calling them just the dolphins.
Needs to have a geographical reference.

Just stick with redcliffe seems to be the nrl want to go down the super rugby route by calling teams by names without attaching a geographical reference to them which is just as important to the name imo.

I wouldn't have a clue where those NZ and south africa teams come from in rugby.

I will always refer to us as Parra instead of eels.

I will say one thing though i never noticed this until today but are the NRL pushing out the geographical location off the teams logos.

I heard a rumour they told newcastle to remove the word newcastle off the logo a few years back.

So i looked and
Knights dont have newcastle in it.
Panthers dont have penrith in it.
Warriors dont have new Zealand in it.
Cowboys dont have North Queensland in it
Bulldogs dont have Canterbury in it.