What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Avenger

Immortal
Personally I think there are going to be too many teams in Qld. I would have preferred a Perth team or the Central Coast bears or something.
No chance mate. They are League mad. It’s perfect now. I do however agree that we need a team in Perth. Plenty of corporate money there and as we found out in the non footy chat thread, Roberto Rodriguez live there now.

TheRam

Coach
Personally I think there are going to be too many teams in Qld. I would have preferred a Perth team or the Central Coast bears or something.

We need a 9th game in the NRL. This 17 teams ballshit is ridiculous and also very annoying for every NRL fan when their team is forced to sit out 2 weekends of football because of it. The 9th game, just as in the AFL would pay for a host of development at grass roots level. This is a major reason that the AFL have so much more money then us to spend in both NSW and QLD. When will we ever learn. Lack of talent has never stopped the AFL from expanding into new territories and look at them now. The undisputed heavy weight champion of Australian sport and only getting bigger and stronger.

We have lost so much time and given away so such of our advantage to the AFL that we need to make up a lot of lost ground if we want to at least hold what is left for ourselves. So with that in mind I would be looking at bringing in over the next 10 years these teams either as new entities or with massive incentives to relocate. If one of these teams was a relocation team it would also keep the comp in even numbers which is so important.

Brisbane South Western corridor(Ipswich)
Perth
Christchurch
Adelaide

Then over the next 10 years I would be looking to bring in -

Melbourne 2
Tasmania
Wellington
or even a Pacific Island team

We need to think domination or we are cooked. The AFL have already colonised the majority of our nation, they are now in the consolidate and grow into a mature fruit baring productive farm faze. By comparison we are an under nourish ever shrinking apple tree that can barely hold it fruit.

T-Boon

Coach
Boxing is still going strong even though they've been talking about banning it for years. MMA has risen as well over the past 30 odd years. I don't see any reason why Rugba Leeg will die. Perhaps playing numbers overall will drop, but interest won't wane IMO.
I think boxing has diminished massively over the last 50 years.
I know there is still interest in 1 or 2 big fights each year but not sure it is "going strong" compared to its past.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Dads take note of these things yes.
Then they have no real intention of letting their kids play league…….

why wouId one be concerned of their kid because Mahoney makes 60 tackles ……..

maybe I might ask my sons coach to put him in backs, as Burgess broken his cheek broken playing in the forwards once, or Fenson broke his leg, or matterson was knocked out by an elbow……..etc etc etc

T-Boon

Coach
Then they have no real intention of letting their kids play league…….

why wouId one be concerned of their kid because Mahoney makes 60 tackles ……..

maybe I might ask my sons coach to put him in backs, as Burgess broken his cheek broken playing in the forwards once, or Fenson broke his leg, or matterson was knocked out by an elbow……..etc etc etc

I don't really understand the drift of your argument?
Hooker (dummy half) is one of the few positions left on the field that small guys can play (at the elite level). They have been kicked out of 2 positions (wing x2).
If the one position that there is a little advantage to being lower to the ground (dummy half) comes with it you are going to be tackling monsters 60 times per game and getting injured and knocked out every few games parents are going to throw their arms up in resignation.
It is a smart league tactic to target small guys with big guys and try to beat them out of the game.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't really understand the drift of your argument.
Hooker (dummy half) is one of the few positions left on the field that small guys can play (at the elite level). They have been kicked out of 2 positions (wing x2).
If the one position that there is a little advantage to being lower to the ground (dummy half) comes with it you are going to tackling monsters 60 times per game and getting injured and knocked out every few games parents are going to be throw their arms up in resignation.
It is a smart league game tactic to target small guys with big guys and try to beat them out of the game.
You are implying Mahoney making 60 tackles a game is a bad look for the game as he is a “smaller” player. And will cause parents to not let their kids play footy!

I am saying that is a load of crap!! And if that is reason to not let your child play then you have no intention of letting your kid play.

The fact Mahoney is playing NRL is on the fringe on rep footy is a prime example that the “little kid”
can make it!

anyhow there is plenty of examples of “smaller” players in the game.

yy_cheng

Coach
As I stated at least 6 months ago before the media revealed it the Čotrić rumour still has legs. The stumbling block was always the amount that the Dogs will chip in. They know they paid too much. He will be our only big name signing if we pull it off.

Marata is as good as gone and the Warriors may even ask for him next year. Their offer we cannot compete with.

Everyone else is expected to re-sign including Mahoney.
I wouldn't let Marata go early.

Next year is still a good chance if we improve a bit.

Without him, that chance goes down... especially if we get a few injuries

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
I know there is still interest in 1 or 2 big fights each year but not sure it is "going strong" compared to its past.
I don't agree. They're selling out stadiums in Europe, PPV figures are trending up. No doubt in Australia participation numbers have dropped, but boxing is as healthy as it's been in a long, long time. 600,000 watched Fury v Wilder on the weekend.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I don't agree. They're selling out stadiums in Europe, PPV figures are trending up. No doubt in Australia participation numbers have dropped, but boxing is as healthy as it's been in a long, long time. 600,000 watched Fury v Wilder on the weekend.
Isn't Money Mayweather still getting 100m a fight and he's retired and only fighting humps???? And the Fury/ Wilder fight was an absolute beauty.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I see what you're saying - but the ridiculously obscene amounts of money involved in boxing tends to suggest that there is still a massive demand for it.

The Predictor

Juniors
Marata will not be re signing with Parramatta, with a couple of more casualties, though Ice, Gutherson, Mahoney will be kept, (not a big surprise) someone within club is the source, I can live with this outcome, as Nuikore as a bit of dope when it comes to staying away from the judiciary.

T-Boon

Coach
I see what you're saying - but the ridiculously obscene amounts of money involved in boxing tends to suggest that there is still a massive demand for it.

I agree.
However as I understand it 50 years ago (maybe more like 80 year ago) the heavyweight champion of the world was a household name as were probably several of the other champs. Like Messi or Usain Bolt equivalents. I would bet most sports fans don't know which one is Fury and which one is Wilder. Kids at school would never have heard of them
It is still the case that some percentage of the population are huge boxing fans but it is a smaller percentage than it use to be (but that would still amount to many millions which explains PPV doing well).
I doubt MMA would have been able to take off the way it has back in the days that boxing was at its strongest.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Marata will not be re signing with Parramatta, with a couple of more casualties, though Ice, Gutherson, Mahoney will be kept, (not a big surprise) someone within club is the source, I can live with this outcome, as Nuikore as a bit of dope when it comes to staying away from the judiciary.
Cant keep them all and marata has never left us down in the past even with his iffy judiciary record because he always puts in and is always at risk with his aggressive style.

So i can live with him leaving and getting a decent paycheck for his family.