What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

I'm pretty confident we will sign Cotric and the Dogs will pay some freight as well.
Sivo will miss start of the season so if Cotric and Rookie of the Year Haze Dunster are going great what happens with Sivo? do we just play him in NSW cup or try to offload him?

TheRam

Coach
I wouldn't be panicking about next year being last chance saloon just yet.

If what i have learnt after watching league for 21 years is that as long as you keep your salary cap in shape and not paying massive overs you will generally remain competitive.

If you stuff it up like the dogs & tigers it can take at least half a decade to rebuild and get it back to some normality.

We stuffed up in 2010-2016 due to having 2 players on a shit load of money who performed once a month and went AWOL the other 3 weeks. The sandow contract especially was a noose around our neck we couldn't get rid of. Thanks to SK we put all our chips into sandow and failed miserably.

Roosters and storm have their strong core but the rest of squad gets rotated pretty easily and they just bring the next guy up. As long as we do that we should be fine and not head back to those dark days a decade ago.

There forwards are the best in the league and have been for years. Ours currently are the only other pack on equal or better footing. When Nuikore and RCG move on, I fail to see us replacing them with equal or better players. We will definitely be a weaker team. Add in that we don't have any X factor players and we will be a fringe top 8 side. If we get any injuries to a spine player, then no Semies at all.

As it stands, we always lost a bit once Paulo and RCG came off in games. Now we won't even have RCG in the lineup. So unless a lower grade prop really steps into the breach come 2023 we will be very weak up front offensively and defensively with all the work RCG does around the ruck. He and Mahoney are our mops in the middle.

We need to replace RCG quick smart, just like the Roosters would or our window is gone come 2023.

TheRam

Coach
If you are looking for a Damian Cook like project, at least this kid loves to run from dummy half. Teach him to pass, be crafty and make 40 tackles and we have a winner. Easy. 🥴

Agreed. The kid has a lot of natural talent. Great pickup by our club. Now it is up to him and our coaching staff as to how far he can go.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'm pretty confident we will sign Cotric and the Dogs will pay some freight as well.
Sivo will miss start of the season so if Cotric and Rookie of the Year Haze Dunster are going great what happens with Sivo? do we just play him in NSW cup or try to offload him?
We Feliti Mateo the lazy merkin. The Tigers will do.

hindy111

Post Whore
There forwards are the best in the league and have been for years. Ours currently are the only other pack on equal or better footing. When Nuikore and RCG move on, I fail to see us replacing them with equal or better players. We will definitely be a weaker team. Add in that we don't have any X factor players and we will be a fringe top 8 side. If we get any injuries to a spine player, then no Semies at all.

As it stands, we always lost a bit once Paulo and RCG came off in games. Now we won't even have RCG in the lineup. So unless a lower grade prop really steps into the breach come 2023 we will be very weak up front offensively and defensively with all the work RCG does around the ruck. He and Mahoney are our mops in the middle.

We need to replace RCG quick smart, just like the Roosters would or our window is gone come 2023.

I feel some are over rating Marata. How often has he been in the top 3 players on the park? Or even top 5? It is rare. I think he is a good hard running mobile forward. Manu Mau and K.Edwards where better 2nd rowers imo. Marata also has a head high problem. It's his technique. The thing with Marata he wouldn't be on heaps and provides good value. My guess is 250k and worth 400k.

Rcg would cost us 750k in 2023. Right now he is good value due to Panthers chipping in. At 750k and 30yld I would rather him off our books. If his form dipped he could be worth 300k very quickly.

A guy like Klemmer might be worth a look at for 2023. And I think he'd be a decent price.

hindy111

Post Whore
Cotric would be a handy signing. Maybe we could offload Sivo tot he dolphins for 2023. He is yet to turn 23. Same age as Haze Dunster and was in a weak side. Dogs just paid overs for a winger.400k- 450k would be about right

Pazza

First Grade
As it stands, we always lost a bit once Paulo and RCG came off in games.

thats why i think its important to leave papalii in the middle. Between RCG, Jnr and Paps we have the best rotation of props in the NRL. Add moses long kicking game behind that, we are going to be hard to beat next season.

Gazzamatta

Coach
If you are looking for a Damian Cook like project, at least this kid loves to run from dummy half. Teach him to pass, be crafty and make 40 tackles and we have a winner. Easy. 🥴
40 tackles in 10 minutes every second game? Ffs Gronky! You expect way too much.

TheRam

Coach
I feel some are over rating Marata. How often has he been in the top 3 players on the park? Or even top 5? It is rare. I think he is a good hard running mobile forward. Manu Mau and K.Edwards where better 2nd rowers imo. Marata also has a head high problem. It's his technique. The thing with Marata he wouldn't be on heaps and provides good value. My guess is 250k and worth 400k.

Rcg would cost us 750k in 2023. Right now he is good value due to Panthers chipping in. At 750k and 30yld I would rather him off our books. If his form dipped he could be worth 300k very quickly.

A guy like Klemmer might be worth a look at for 2023. And I think he'd be a decent price.

I agree, if Marata's form doesn't get any better then what it is right now, he is $400K-500K player max. But as we have seen, he has gotten better with each season from the last and his versatility is exceptional. I mean there aren't many players that can cover Lock, Second Row, Prop and Centre as well as he can. That is what we will miss from him when he goes the most. By him being able to cover so many positions if needed, he is the type of player all coaches want. It changes and strengthens the bench and the team overall under many scenarios that play out during a season. It allows for the coach to not worry if we lose a forward or any outside back. That is a luxury of a very strong roster and saved our bacon a lot this last season.

Also if he were to keep improving, which is very possible still, then his worth is even greater. His only real downsides are his regular suspensions and that he needs to learn footwork and get a pass in his game. Which again, if he had the right coaching and persistence, he could develop, especially the footwork just before the line. That alone would make him a better player and increase his longevity too.

Yeah Klemmer would be a decent option and may also rekindle and spark up his enthusiasm and career which seems to have plateaued somewhat recently. Depends on how much of course. I think he would be around 29 years in 2023, so still reasonably young for a prop.

As for RCG's form dipping, well yeah if that happened, we would be cactus. But I feel the reason his form dipped at the Panthers was because of the broken jaw and loss of confidence and then the lack of love that Cleary showed him, he even said so much at the time. He felt like an outsider and unwanted. We seem to have given everything he wants and needs to perform at the top of his game. But form, especially for battering rams like him can quickly drop off unless they have more to their game, which unfortunately RCG doesn't. So sure he could be a risk, but no one will truly know until his career is done and dusted. If he were to start getting injuries especially bone and cartilage leg ones then sure he would quickly become a financial liability.

But at present I would put him equal to any prop in the game other then P. Haas who is an absolute freak. How Freddy didn't pick RCG in the SOO this year stuns me, but was to our benefit so I am not complaining. But for mine I wouldn't trade either of our starting props for any other(except Haas). They are the perfect yin and yang. But come 2023, who knows?

Either way though what I do know is that we will be a damn sight weaker without both Niukore and RCG in the side unless we can pull a rabbit out of our arse and replace at least RCG with someone that can take the metres like he can and play for the minutes he can without losing momentum. Remember, Junior will also be older then too, so who knows where his game will be at by then, especially if he feels the burden of now being the main metre eater in the team.

TheRam

Coach
thats why i think its important to leave papalii in the middle. Between RCG, Jnr and Paps we have the best rotation of props in the NRL. Add moses long kicking game behind that, we are going to be hard to beat next season.

We always lost some momentum when both Junior and RCG came off no matter who else was in the middle. We need big bodies hitting and chasing the collision. The smaller guys are good for small doses, but generally they can't sustain it for long stretches or game after game.

We need someone like Wiremu Greig to really step up hopefully next season, but definitely by 2023 and maybe our troubles may be solved somewhat. Mind you defensively he is more the Junior type then the RCG type, so maybe we should also hope someone like Ky Rodwell or David Hollis comes good sooner rather then later.

But if we could add Greig into our front row rotation next year while we still have both Nuikore and RCG in our lineup, then I think baring injuries to any other significant player, we could really give it a shake. Next year seems to be loaming as our all or nothing season.

Last edited:

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
We always lost some momentum when both Junior and RCG came off no matter who else was in the middle. We need big bodies hitting and chasing the collision. The smaller guys are good for small doses, but generally they can't sustain it for long stretches or game after game.

We need someone like Wiremu Greig to really step up hopefully next season, but definitely by 2023 and maybe our troubles may be solved somewhat. Mind you defensively he is more the Junior type then the RCG type, so maybe we should also hope someone like Ky Rodwell or Sam Hughes comes good sooner rather then later.

But if we could add Greig into our front row rotation next year while we still have both Nuikore and RCG in our lineup, then I think baring injuries to any other significant player, we could really give it a shake. Next year seems to be loaming as our all or nothing season.
Sam Hughes is long gone Ram. If RCG goes we have a whole year to replace him.

Gazzamatta

Coach

We need someone like Wiremu Greig to really step up hopefully next season, but definitely by 2023 and maybe our troubles may be solved somewhat. Mind you defensively he is more the Junior type then the RCG type, so maybe we should also hope someone like Ky Rodwell or Sam Hughes comes good sooner rather then later.

Sam who?

Latest posts