What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gazzamatta

Coach
Marata has been shuffled from benchie to middle to edge to centre. Wash and repeat. Hes hardly had an opportunity to settle into a full time position. Personally I think his strong running and D is perfectly suited to an edge forward. Ice Lane and now Matto are being used likewise. Im not sure this is the perfect scenario.

84 Baby

Referee
Thinking more about this RCG situation...he is effectively off contract but at the same time knows what we would have paid him I assume. He doesn't seem to have another offer but seems to think he can get more by leaving. Which means that either we weren't paying him as much as everyone thinks, or his manager has convinced him he is worth more on the market. And he might yet stay. I'm finding it odd.
I think either we’ve told him or he doesn’t think we will take up the 2024 option. So he may be looking to replace one year of guaranteed big coin and potentially very little coin in future years with guaranteed reasonably sized coin for another 3 or so years.
The good thing for us under that plan is that he’ll have to prove his worth next season to his potential suitors (at least until he signs a contract).
If I were our club renegotiating with him, I’d offer him to swap the 2024 option to him at a lesser salary. The only issue then is a “will he/won’t he” situation, but otherwise we save a few dollars and he has a fall back plan if the big dollars from another club aren’t there for him in 2023.

84 Baby

Referee
WTF negotiates a deal with a 2 year option, year 1 player, year 2 club. Am I missing something smart people?
It’s probably the only time you’d really see a club option with bigger names. The club option would’ve been a trade off for him getting the player option in the first year

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think either we’ve told him or he doesn’t think we will take up the 2024 option. So he may be looking to replace one year of guaranteed big coin and potentially very little coin in future years with guaranteed reasonably sized coin for another 3 or so years.
The good thing for us under that plan is that he’ll have to prove his worth next season to his potential suitors (at least until he signs a contract).
If I were our club renegotiating with him, I’d offer him to swap the 2024 option to him at a lesser salary. The only issue then is a “will he/won’t he” situation, but otherwise we save a few dollars and he has a fall back plan if the big dollars from another club aren’t there for him in 2023.
Less strategizing and more BA-can't-get-it-done-ffs

IFR33K

Coach
I reckon this rcg thing will be another nrown

I think RCG or his manager isn’t happy with his pay in 2023. And if he activates the clause the eels may activate their clause for ‘24. Essentially ‘underpaid’ in 23 and 24. Only way we’ll keep him beyond 22 is to scrap the player clause and renegotiate a new deal.

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeah i would imagine its a sign he isnt on huge coin with us. Must have taken a bit of a cut from panthers $s

One article said he and his partner liked qld the last few months too

Panthers chipping in a sizeable amount for first 3yrs. Perhaps we kept the last two years at our same price without Pa there chipping in. That makes the most sense.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think RCG or his manager isn’t happy with his pay in 2023. And if he activates the clause the eels may activate their clause for ‘24. Essentially ‘underpaid’ in 23 and 24. Only way we’ll keep him beyond 22 is to scrap the player clause and renegotiate a new deal.
ahh ok.. so maybe say he is on $750k now (Panfers money + our money), and the player option for 2023 is say $500k.

and then parra's option could be $450k.

I made the assumption that he would be continuing on the same pay

Bandwagon

Staff member
Just looking at the wording from that statement by RCG's manager says he wants to test the market. So nothing is a done deal other than he has ( for now at least ) rejected our offer/s.

The mention of putting his name forward for the Dolphins is probably gonna be a very common thing over the next year, they have a thirty man squad to fill, and if they want a quality side they are gonna need to find at least close to a starting thirteen from existing starting NRL players.

I've no doubt they want Bennet for his pull in recruitment, 'cause without that they are paying all kinds of overs to get quality, keeping in mind that just by joining the NRL they are, initially at least, adding to demand without balancing out supply.

My guess is that in hiring Bennet they hope to be able to pull a few big names without having to pay huge overs 'cause aside from the coach, players want to know they are going to a squad that has a chance of winning a premiership, or at the least play finals footy. Elsewise they want to be paid over and above for giving up that opportunity.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So with Gutho off contract and RCG now not taking up his option, do we have a crack at that “x player” everyone reckons we need….do we have a chat with Ponga?

Avenger

Immortal
I can’t see Bennett paying $750k plus for a 30 year old prop. I could be wrong. It’s Ponga, Grant and Munster who they will go for.

If we lose Mahoney I’d be going for Brandon Smith. I’d go all out for him.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
So with Gutho off contract and RCG now not taking up his option, do we have a crack at that “x player” everyone reckons we need….do we have a chat with Ponga?

I was thinking with Smith going to the titans we need a bench utility. How do you reckon he'll go at dummy half? Although he will have to compete with Raymond for the spot over the pre-season

hindy111

Post Whore
I was thinking with Smith going to the titans we need a bench utility. How do you reckon he'll go at dummy half? Although he will have to compete with Raymond for the spot over the pre-season

Who?

I feel W.Smiths time was up. With Stones form he would of been picked before Will at 14.

Latest posts