What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
Dolphins should look to Ponga. Munster doesn't seem the best influence and is at a powerhouse club.
Ponga would be a better face for the club. And Newcastle are not exactly the greatest side.

I do not see us losing Mahoney or D.Brown. I feel Gutherson is a higher chance of splitting with the club.
RCG obviously took a player option for 2023 cause he felt if produced better from he could demand more. The club took an option on 2024 to protect themself from his decline. Reality is he may be happy to stay on board if the club commits to the 2024 clause.

TheRam

Coach
I can’t see Bennett paying $750k plus for a 30 year old prop. I could be wrong. It’s Ponga, Grant and Munster who they will go for.

If we lose Mahoney I’d be going for Brandon Smith. I’d go all out for him.

So we couldn't compete to keep Mahoney who would probably accept a little less to stay with us, but then we can compete and outbid ever other merkin and get B. Smith who will probably be looking at pure dollar value?

That's some magical thinking there mate.

And of course they will pay around $750k for nearly the premier prop in the game.

Avenger

Immortal
So we couldn't compete to keep Mahoney who would probably accept a little less to stay with us, but then we can compete and outbid ever other merkin and get B. Smith who will probably be looking at pure dollar value?

That's some magical thinking there mate.

And of course they will pay around $750k for nearly the premier prop in the game.
The thinking comes from calculating that we'd lose more than one player to the Dolphins.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Not everyone rates him that highly. I heard he's a bit of a different kind of personality - not in a bad way, but does what he wants and says what he thinks. Remember last year when he truthfully said he didn't really want to go into origin camp. Not what coaches and fans like to hear. This is another example IMO. He could have kept quiet until he signed or at least had an offer.

TheRam

Coach
The thinking comes from calculating that we'd lose more than one player to the Dolphins.

Well that still means then we would/should have enough money to keep a great player that bleeds Blue and Gold and came through our system and wouldn't be coming here just for the money and we all know how many times that has backfired on us.

Your logic still doesn't play out right. Like I said if we can't afford Mahoney then we certainly won't be able to afford someone that will probably be the most sought off contract players in the NRL.

TheRam

Coach
Not everyone rates him that highly. I heard he's a bit of a different kind of personality - not in a bad way, but does what he wants and says what he thinks. Remember last year when he truthfully said he didn't really want to go into origin camp. Not what coaches and fans like to hear. This is another example IMO. He could have kept quiet until he signed or at least had an offer.

Sure, but there isn't a better prop on the open market that I know of. He is rated very highly and a coach like Bennett doesn't fear strong personalities. As long as they produce on the field, which if we are honest RCG has probably been our most consistently top performing forward for the entire 2 seasons he has been here, then all coaches will always want them in their squads.

Around $750K is the going rate for any of the top 5-6 front rowers. Find me one that isn't paid that sort of coin and I will suggest we snap him up real quick, because that is what every other club would do if they got wind of it.

As much as many of you think that good props are dime a dozen, you are wrong. The top 10 I would suggest would all command around 700K plus on the open market and in my opinion they are worth it.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Sure, but there isn't a better prop on the open market that I know of. He is rated very highly and a coach like Bennett doesn't fear strong personalities. As long as they produce on the field, which if we are honest RCG has probably been our most consistently top performing forward for the entire 2 seasons he has been here, then all coaches will always want them in their squads.

Around $750K is the going rate for any of the top 5-6 front rowers. Find me one that isn't paid that sort of coin and I will suggest we snap him up real quick, because that is what every other club would do if they got wind of it.

As much as many of you think that good props are dime a dozen, you are wrong. The top 10 I would suggest would all command around 700K plus on the open market and in my opinion they are worth it.
Welch, Bromwich, Paulo and Wallace are all also off contract at the same time. I'm not arguing how good he is, I love how he plays. Nor am I arguing what the top props are worth. Just saying uncle Wayne might want to put his big bucks elsewhere and Regan might be disappointed by the offer he receives. The Dolphins can't pay everyone massive coin.

TheRam

Coach
Welch, Bromwich, Paulo and Wallace are all also off contract at the same time. I'm not arguing how good he is, I love how he plays. Nor am I arguing what the top props are worth. Just saying uncle Wayne might want to put his big bucks elsewhere and Regan might be disappointed by the offer he receives. The Dolphins can't pay everyone massive coin.

Yes ok sure but out of all those I would still pick RCG on output, but more importantly he is the only one so far that has offered himself up to go there. All the others may be very happy to stay where they are as long as their current club also wants them. Also who said they can't buy two 750K front rowers? Very doable. They won't be fielding a team brimming with superstars mate, so they will grab and pay for any high end players that want to come across in their early years you can guarantee that for sure.

They won't be turning any quality down that comes close to their market value, even if it is a little inflated, which they will gladly pay for the first 3-5 years until they are producing their own. What club hasn't done that and you just have to look at the Bulldogs as a real life current example? The salary cap becomes a secondary consideration and they will sort it out down the track. Example N. Cotric, deemed surplus to requirements, so offload time. But initially they get whoever they can to bolster the roster and to look as strong as possible to the outside world with the hope that recruitment becomes cheaper and easier.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Yes ok sure but out of all those I would still pick RCG on output, but more importantly he is the only one so far that has offered himself up to go there. All the others may be very happy to stay where they are as long as their current club also wants them. Also who said they can't buy two 750K front rowers? Very doable. They won't be fielding a team brimming with superstars mate, so they will grab and pay for any high end players that want to come across in their early years you can guarantee that for sure.

They won't be turning any quality down that comes close to their market value, even if it is a little inflated, which they will gladly pay for the first 3-5 years until they are producing their own. What club hasn't done that and you just have to look at the Bulldogs as a real life current example? The salary cap becomes a secondary consideration and they will sort it out down the track. Example N. Cotric, deemed surplus to requirements, so offload time.
I'm not disagreeing with too much there Ram. But what if Bennett goes, well I'm going to sign welch for 800, Wallace for 650 and RCG is the 3 wheel and they only have 550 left for him. Does he accept that? Or maybe Bennett is doing his best to get Haas out of his contract at the Broncos. Its a bit of a risk on RCGs part to declare his hand so early.

hindy111

Post Whore
Dolphins will take 3 or 4 yrs to be competitive and challenge for top 4. If smart they'd target a youngish spine even if paid a bit overs and then build a stable forward pack. They'd be a little foolish paying 700k for a 30yld prop. Perhaps if he was 27 and would be part of their premiership window. I could be wrong however. They may sign a side ready to challenge from day one.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Dolphins will take 3 or 4 yrs to be competitive and challenge for top 4. If smart they'd target a youngish spine even if paid a bit overs and then build a stable forward pack. They'd be a little foolish paying 700k for a 30yld prop. Perhaps if he was 27 and would be part of their premiership window. I could be wrong however. They may sign a side ready to challenge from day one.
I dont know i think they can challenge the top 6 sides in year one if they get recruitment right. Bennett is a great coach.

Melbourne won the comp in their 2nd year. And were top 4 in year 1.

Plus the talent is already thin as it is. If they take 2 or 3 players out of every team it makes everyone weaker straight away with no replacements available to replace them with the short talent pool on offer.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I recall there was debate about our sponsors - that we didn't have a big name behind us.

We are sponsored by Taubmans - who imo, make the best architectural coatings in Australia, and are owned by Fortune 500 company, PPG.

Pretty big name, if you ask me (which nobody did, so back in my hole I go).

Technically, Dulux are Australia's largest architectural coatings producers - but their products suck, and the company blows, so f**k 'em.

TheRam

Coach
I'm not disagreeing with too much there Ram. But what if Bennett goes, well I'm going to sign welch for 800, Wallace for 650 and RCG is the 3 wheel and they only have 550 left for him. Does he accept that? Or maybe Bennett is doing his best to get Haas out of his contract at the Broncos. Its a bit of a risk on RCGs part to declare his hand so early.

Sure anything can happen, but by declaring his hand this early it guarantees there are heaps of dollars available and the new franchise looking to make an impression and some positive noise in the player market and for a good look for more recruiting may just jump at the chance to come up with such an impressive scalp first up.

Again if I were managing the new franchise I would jump at the chance to sign such an impressive front rower who has come out of the blocks wanting to deal. Never look a gift horse in the mouth unless it has no teeth, then just look the other way and drop your pants.

Ewe...to much? Sorry.

TheRam

Coach

Hindy they will want some old hard heads with experience. No point having a young new team, look at the Broncos. He is still at the top of his game and hasn't shown any indication of decline and no major injuries other then facial. I would definitely be signing him at around $750k. Is it a risk, yeah sure all expensive players are a risk though.

Latest posts