What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Jono078

Referee
I think last night was one of his better games for us actually. Some noted that his involvement wasn't too high but I thought everything he did last night he did with purpose, which is where I've been critical of him in the past.

Great game and obviously gave that extra boost of confidence and class to the team.. Involved in 4 or 5 tries says it all.

Rod

Bench
He gets so much grief online that it's reaching the point where he's going from overrated to underrated. Pretty much every game he's played this year he's been best on ground.

Reading through this thread from start to finish is one giant roller coaster ride. From the amazement of his first few games to his first injury, leading the Dally M only to be injured again, then ill fated 5/8th experiment, his impressive Origin debut in the forwards, more injuries, constant speculation that he'll leave the club then he stays, more injuries, strawberry milkshake, fans starting to worry that he's not durable or dedicated enough due to him phoning in a few performances, the team getting flogged when he doesn't play and opposition constantly targeting him due to him being the only threat, missing a heap of rep games through injury...ugh...

In between all that is us getting way over excited every 6 weeks or so when he has a blinder only for the wheels to fall off again. Ponga has more raw talent than anyone in the NRL but imo he hasn't really proven much yet. He hasn't had real success at rep or club level and he gets hammered by fans despite being a media darling. He was really good against the Cowboys but I'm not getting carried away just yet. Not the popular opinion among Knights fans but he's got a heap to prove imo.

Burwood

Bench
It’s good to see that he was sniffing around the ruck- it was a part of his game missing that Tedesco and Paps do extremely well.

Still don’t like how the coach has him defending in the line though. The top teams will tear us apart on our goal line if he’s out of position because he just made a tackle.

Yosh

Coach
It’s good to see that he was sniffing around the ruck- it was a part of his game missing that Tedesco and Paps do extremely well.

Still don’t like how the coach has him defending in the line though. The top teams will tear us apart on our goal line if he’s out of position because he just made a tackle.

I think most teams now defend with the fullback in the line. Isn't that the trend?

I love it when Ponga stands next to Brailey around the ruck. He doesn't do it enough though. Even if he doesn't zoom through like last night, it puts defenders on edge and allows the wider forward receiving the ball more room.

Jono078

Referee
Don't think that's a defensive trend Yosh. The better fullbacks are able to organise the defensive line to get the numbers right and then be at the back to clean up should shit still hit the fan.

I think we've been exposed more than any club by Kalyn being caught in the defensive line.

None of the above is a jab at Kalyn btw.

K-Man

Bench
My impression is that Ponga is simply a different type of fullback to Tedesco, Pap, Slater, Gutherson. Those players are all action, high involvement, play on play, they just keep on turning up until the defence eventually cracks, and they have the skills to make you pay.

Ponga has the most genuinely explosive talent of them all, but when I watch him I see a player who would be happy if he only needed 12 touches in the game to be involved in 8 tries. He would see that as doing his job. And he's so good that he does score or set up an incredible number of tries and line breaks relative to his involvement. If he also played like Gutho, with the same fitness and mentality, he really would be the most influential player in the game.

I found it interesting a few weeks ago (before Origin) when Joey and someone else in commentary were asked who they would want in their team for the next 5 years if you could only have Ponga or Cleary. They both emphatically said Ponga. I'm not saying they're wrong, and it's easy to want the player who looks like a superstar, but in terms of actual influence over the results of football matches you would think Cleary at the moment has him covered. Less highlights, but unbelievably efficient.

Knight Tales

Juniors
It’s the Safs, Best and KP who will be our salary cap Priorities for the next decade and we build the side around them. Anything else is insanity. I see Best getting free license to to rove like Turbo soon and it will make us so much more dangerous. His skill and power is undeniable. Long term I see him at lock or backrow.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It’s the Safs, Best and KP who will be our salary cap Priorities for the next decade and we build the side around them. Anything else is insanity. I see Best getting free license to to rove like Turbo soon and it will make us so much more dangerous. His skill and power is undeniable. Long term I see him at lock or backrow.
I’d probably add Brailey to that list too.

Burwood

Bench
I’m not sure if anyone else was like me, but I finally saw a clearer explanation of Ponga’s contract and the player options for 2023/24.

It sounds like the only way he can get out of the final two years of his contract, is by winning the premiership in 2022. So if he wins next year he’s free to explore other avenues, but if he doesn’t he stays on.

Not sure I’ve ever heard of a contract structured that way before?

Jono078

Referee
I’m not sure if anyone else was like me, but I finally saw a clearer explanation of Ponga’s contract and the player options for 2023/24.

It sounds like the only way he can get out of the final two years of his contract, is by winning the premiership in 2022. So if he wins next year he’s free to explore other avenues, but if he doesn’t he stays on.

Not sure I’ve ever heard of a contract structured that way before?
Thanks for clearing it up! I wasn’t 100% sure of it either.

I think I can make sense of it. He wins a comp with us it’s like job done and then he’s free to go fulfill another dream of his which playing in the Union World Cup I think?

Burwood

Bench
The problem with the Dolphins recruiting Ponga - in addition to being somewhat injury prone - is his complex deal (worth $4.4m) at the Knights.

The 23-year-old has player options in his favour in 2023 and 2024 but only if he wins a premiership at the club in 2022.

Basically, Ponga must stay in Newcastle until 2024 unless he delivers the Knights an unlikely title next year.

Choppy91

Juniors

Jono078

Referee
Is this the first time this info regarding his deal has been revealed? I had no idea this was the case. All of his references about winning a comp with Newcastle being his only focus makes a lot of sense now.
It was released prior, around mid-year, but very confusingly.

If his biggest motivator is to get out of here then he's gotta deliver us a comp haha.

Also the disrespect of the article...
"Ponga must stay in Newcastle until 2024 unless he delivers the Knights an unlikely title next year."
The lack of faith!!

Is this the first time this info regarding his deal has been revealed? I had no idea this was the case. All of his references about winning a comp with Newcastle being his only focus makes a lot of sense now.
Yep. I hope this answers a lot of fans questions about his commitment to the club, motivation etc.

Agreeing to a contract with these terms is ballsy

Latest posts