What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Fordy20

Juniors
Brooks coming will mean Mann get's even less game time. Great news. Brooks is still young enough to develop further. Good also. HOWEVER, how much will we be paying for him? If we pay more than 500k a season, surely we are getting the wrong end of the stick in that deal.

That's why I don't think it will happen. Chad Townsend was under contract at the Sharks and the Cowboys paid $800k a season for his services for the next three years. Townsend will be 31 at the start of his first season with the Cowboys. The Tigers have a 26yr old Brooks locked up for another two years, buckets of money freed up from moving on Cleary's shitty contracts and Sheens has says that Brooks is staying.

You blokes aren't offering any players in exchange and you expect Brooks uproot from Sydney and take $700k haircut for the privilege, whereas clubs that are genuinely interested in Brooks like the Bulldogs are offering players like Luke Thompson and Nick Cotric in exchange.

If this isn't just Isaac Moses spewing shit and Brooks genuinely is the halfback Joey wants for Newcastle, then he's got his work cut out for him convincing the rest of the organisation to get serious about it.

macavity

Referee
That's why I don't think it will happen. Chad Townsend was under contract at the Sharks and the Cowboys paid $800k a season for his services for the next three years. Townsend will be 31 at the start of his first season with the Cowboys. The Tigers have a 26yr old Brooks locked up for another two years, buckets of money freed up from moving on Cleary's shitty contracts and Sheens has says that Brooks is staying.

You blokes aren't offering any players in exchange and you expect Brooks uproot from Sydney and take $700k haircut for the privilege, whereas clubs that are genuinely interested in Brooks like the Bulldogs are offering players like Luke Thompson and Nick Cotric in exchange.

If this isn't just Isaac Moses spewing shit and Brooks genuinely is the halfback Joey wants for Newcastle, then he's got his work cut out for him convincing the rest of the organisation to get serious about it.

the only thing I can think of is Catalans offer something for Pearce (that French prop?) who goes to Tigers so Brooks can come here.

I don’t think it happens.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
You have to laugh ...the last 16 years your consistently world beating packs have earned 4 spoons...1 in every 4 on your own! and 2 during the time Brooks lame duck packs have not earned even one. Brooks will go ( very) well with Joey....quit while your ahead with that positive and forget about throwing the jabs...you've had the 8 count a few too many times. ( quote) LOL

one of them was from an injury toll no team could come back from, the other 3 was Tinker/and the over rated master coach issue. Brown legit had the worst team in history. .. meanwhile tigers had arguably the best spine in that portion and watched it explode, get back in line son.

Das Hassler

Bench
one of them was from an injury toll no team could come back from, the other 3 was Tinker/and the over rated master coach issue. Brown legit had the worst team in history. .. meanwhile tigers had arguably the best spine in that portion and watched it explode, get back in line son.

So you would appreciate a compassionate understanding of the reasons why your multiple seasons bombed...ok...well everybody can ask for that consideration if you want to be fair about it...or do you reserve the "poor us" hugs for yourself ? ( insert sincerity imoji here)

Oh....and BTW....you forgot to trot out the reasons you got stomped on twice by the same lowly WT this year....that musta been embarassing.....too windy?....bad prawns for breakfast? Curious minds want to know.
Back in line son 😉

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
I'm equally happy to not get Brooks or get him with the Tigers paying for half.

And why on earth would WT pay anything let alone half? There's no / zero cap pressure now that the Cleary mess has been cleaned out and there's more money to spend than they've had for years ..you should be thinking more in terms of what you have to offer

Burwood

Bench
Now that Hoy to Penrith is off the table, you can have him. You're welcome.

Spot On

Coach
To be fair his lack of pace has been shown up on quite a few occasions now, who could forget the Broncos game when Farnworth put in a kick and about 4 Broncos players jogged past Pearce in the chase for the ball

But,but… Clifford was going to allow Pearce to unleash his devastating running game according to some.

Lol.

Old dog

Juniors
If we were to get a Brooks or the like and pay for him I would be happy that the club is making serious efforts to improve our squad, trust they have a plan. As long as we don’t sign a player that is in his twilight years, big money and acting semi retired. The current squad we have is ok to good in quite a few positions, ok could do with a top f/b come half and 2nd row come lock.
If Joey is coaching surely Clune, Crosslands and Ponga can fill a void at half and Ponga, Hodgson, Gags and Mann (please no) can cover f/b.
Most other spots are strong but could be stronger the main worry is attitude as they seem leaderless, Pearce did that but I feel he has past his time and those in the wings will give us the same results with a bit of help from Joey.

mozza91

Coach
If we can’t get Brooks I think Ponga will need to move to the halves with Clifford. Crossland and Clune aren’t 1st choice halves.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
So you would appreciate a compassionate understanding of the reasons why your multiple seasons bombed...ok...well everybody can ask for that consideration if you want to be fair about it...or do you reserve the "poor us" hugs for yourself ? ( insert sincerity imoji here)

Oh....and BTW....you forgot to trot out the reasons you got stomped on twice by the same lowly WT this year....that musta been embarassing.....too windy?....bad prawns for breakfast? Curious minds want to know.
Back in line son 😉
Feel free to compare the line ups from those games to the ones that finished the year, also reserving it for other clubs, find me another club that got destroyed so badly from the top.

Alex28

Coach

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’m glad the club is holding firm on Pearce as we’d definitely be at a disadvantage without him or a ready made replacement. He chose to sign the 1 year deal last year so he’s not being hard done by here.

I also don’t even know how the Brooks thing could even happen. If the Tigers didn’t give him permission to talk to other clubs then it would be impossible for us to be holding talks with him unless his manager has been doing it on the sly without Brooks even knowing, which I suppose isn’t out of the question.

Burwood

Bench
Pretty sure under the current rules we can talk to players, we just can’t make any formal offers.

The worry with Pearce, he clearly doesn’t want to be here. So we’ll end up with a disinterested 33 year old well past their prime who will potentially be a destabilising influence on the playing group.

Old dog

Juniors
Hope Pearce moves on and if no Brooks or anyone else then let Clune replace him because the way Pearce finished this past season he will be just as good or better and Crossland can work on his game in reserves to put pressure on selection. Ponga can be prepared for 5/8 move

Yosh

Coach
If Pearce ends up staying after all this nonsense, he will be a huge negative influence on the squad. Why hold onto a player who clearly doesn't want to be here? Where is the advantage in that?

Knight Tales

Juniors
Move on from Brooks. John works with Clifford and KP. That is something to look forward to. If Joey sparks Ponga then we can not complain.

Last edited:

PhilGould

Bench
Telegraph is now saying Scott Drinkwater is the target to replace Pearce with "unofficial" talks happening behind the scenes. Says Cows would be reluctant to release him but they do have depth in the halves/fullback, and they may ask for an experienced forward in return.

ryana87

Juniors
Telegraph is now saying Scott Drinkwater is the target to replace Pearce with "unofficial" talks happening behind the scenes. Says Cows would be reluctant to release him but they do have depth in the halves/fullback, and they may ask for an experienced forward in return.
Are you able to share the article?