What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Paine quits as test captain

blaza88z

Coach
Fitting way for Paine's career to end, I would be stunned if he gets picked without captaincy. He will get sledged like no tomorrow and on his performances you couldn't say he is the best option we have got.

Cummins is the next in line with that very likeable personality, similar to the one that I believe enticed them to go with Paine initially.

Eelectrica

Referee
Could be worth putting Paine in the first test for the sledging he'd cop from England. It should be legendary the jibes he'd get.
Worth risking the loss.

Meth

Staff member
Can't see Paine being in the side post-resignation. His comparatively G-rated character was essentially what he brought to the team, following the furore with Smith, Warner and Bancroft. I thought the reaction to them was disproportionate, and so too the reaction to this. But without being solid, reliable and not being distracting, what does Paine bring?

Bring back Peter Nevill

Hutty1986

Immortal
😂😂 "laughing stock" says this ginger cuck pathetic excuse for a 'journalist.' Why, because the embarrassing tabloid pommy media jumped on it? Of course the scum poms jumped on it, their team is coming off yet another classic English choke in the world cup.
Screenshot_20211120-122001_Samsung Internet.jpg

King-Gutho94

Coach
😂😂 "laughing stock" says this ginger cuck pathetic excuse for a 'journalist.' Why, because the embarrassing tabloid pommy media jumped on it? Of course the scum poms jumped on it, their team is coming off yet another classic English choke in the world cup.
View attachment 56069
England have their own issues atm with the racism enquiry that has named and shamed former and current England cricketers and a few captains as well.

King-Gutho94

Coach
The issue is mostly the coverup. As I said, they could’ve got in front of this and admitted the mistake. I reckon he survives if they’d done it earlier. The texts look consensual to me, and she only complained about them once she’d been reported for theft.

Although there’s the workplace factor at play here as well, so it’s not totally the same as other situations.
Go back in time and imagine this got released in June 2018 which was 2 months after sandpaper gate. That the new Australian captain who took over from Australian cricket darkest ever moment was involved in this saga.

Doesnt excuse the cover up.

But Cricket Australia has proven over the years they are a grubby organisation look at the way David Peever ran it while he wad in charge. James Sutherland was no white knight and was in the job for way too long.

The way Cricket Australia treats the smaller nations is a disgrace the administration find every excuse under the sun to avoid playing certain nations but bend over backwards play india and England every year.

When Ireland got test status cricket Australia released a statement saying we support their introduction into test cricket in a non playing capacity.

Australia needs to do more to help cricket globally.

Bazal

Post Whore
The Australian test captaincy used to be a fairly prestigious position. That was until they gave it to Watto for a test.

I'm glad this 'scandal' came out, it moves Paine one step closer to the door.

There are some who consider a complete tactical numpty who turned the side into a boys club and had a once in a thousand year pull shot on him, but was otherwise best at getting bashed at Kings Cross bars, a 'great' Aussie captain so I think the prestige has been dulled for some time honestly.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Great quote by Hughes..

Paine’s actions were investigated by CA’s Integrity Unit at the time and he was cleared of any breach under its Code of Conduct, a decision Hughes called “staggering”.

“(Paine) did what he had to do (by resigning) but what I find staggering is that Cricket Australia reviewed the situation and did nothing,” Hughes told Five AA radio in Adelaide.

“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

“Integrity? You’ve got to be kidding me!

“For God’s sake. You found that out and then said ‘well that’s still acceptable’ and to appoint him captain?

“Give me a break. It’s absolutely staggering.”

Incorrect

Coach
There are some who consider a complete tactical numpty who turned the side into a boys club and had a once in a thousand year pull shot on him, but was otherwise best at getting bashed at Kings Cross bars, a 'great' Aussie captain so I think the prestige has been dulled for some time honestly.
I maintain that Ponting was the first of the "talent first, tactics second" leadership appointment to the national captaincy. His generation was the first that were taken out of grade and 1st class cricket at young ages to go to the Academy (when Rod Marsh I think was in charge). And I'm not laying any blame on Rod Marsh, I think he did a great job turning some in to decent cricketers. But the upshot ended up being that a bloke like Ponting was automatically made captain of teams based purely on the fact that he was the best batsman. It was a different path to captaincy than any of his predecessors who did their time in grade and first class cricket.

There was no demonstrated leadership or tactical nous required. It was like schoolyard rules where the fastest bowler or bloke who hit most sixes was made captain. And then of course Clarke came next, much the same story, but probably tactically better than Punter. Steve Smith has no business IMO being skipper either. Strikes me as an individual who devotes all of his mental energy on his own game, and that's ok, but why thrust captaincy on him? Although he is probably better equipped now than he was the first time around.

Bazal

Post Whore
I maintain that Ponting was the first of the "talent first, tactics second" leadership appointment to the national captaincy. His generation was the first that were taken out of grade and 1st class cricket at young ages to go to the Academy (when Rod Marsh I think was in charge). And I'm not laying any blame on Rod Marsh, I think he did a great job turning some in to decent cricketers. But the upshot ended up being that a bloke like Ponting was automatically made captain of teams based purely on the fact that he was the best batsman. It was a different path to captaincy than any of his predecessors who did their time in grade and first class cricket.

There was no demonstrated leadership or tactical nous required. It was like schoolyard rules where the fastest bowler or bloke who hit most sixes was made captain. And then of course Clarke came next, much the same story, but probably tactically better than Punter. Steve Smith has no business IMO being skipper either. Strikes me as an individual who devotes all of his mental energy on his own game, and that's ok, but why thrust captaincy on him? Although he is probably better equipped now than he was the first time around.

10000% agree mang. Steve Waugh was the last Aussie captain who got the job because he was a genuine cricket captain.

Punter was a generational cricketer but a shit captain, although I do think he had good personal skills he also seemed to only apply them to his mates?

Clarke was a generational cricketer and actually a really good tactician and his broader leadership skills were obviously great (see the Phil Hughes tragedy) but his personal skills were really poor.

Smith is a rarer than generational cricketer with some form of cricketing Aspergers...

Paine is a great leader with excellent personal skills. Honestly he's probably the closest we've got to going back to naming a captain who is just a good captain no matter what else he does...but his tactics fell away dramatically the last two years. And he's not exactly bashing the door down skills-wise.

I honestly think Head is the best option. He's a better bat than Paine, so they can't use the "he's not good enough to play" line IMO and he's a genuinely good captain at Shield level. Obviously remains to be seen if that translates to the top level, but with the situation as it is why not give the guy a go?