What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey Leilua signs for...

anglo

Juniors
...Featherstone Rovers to play in the English Championship (tier 2).
I know this because I'm a Featherstone fan and we've just announced it.
Yes, am well aware of what a massive fall from grace this represents, how the mighty are fallen etc and have read all the negative stuff about him here and on other forums.
But from our point of view in little Featherstone (population 15,000) this is a massive signing, jeez, you'd still like to think he'd kill it in tier 2 in England if we can get him even half focussed. And this could be a good move for him, because he'll be teaming up with his fellow Samoan internationals Jesse Sene-Lafao and Junior Moors.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
...Featherstone Rovers to play in the English Championship (tier 2).
I know this because I'm a Featherstone fan and we've just announced it.
Yes, am well aware of what a massive fall from grace this represents, how the mighty are fallen etc and have read all the negative stuff about him here and on other forums.
But from our point of view in little Featherstone (population 15,000) this is a massive signing, jeez, you'd still like to think he'd kill it in tier 2 in England if we can get him even half focussed. And this could be a good move for him, because he'll be teaming up with his fellow Samoan internationals Jesse Sene-Lafao and Junior Moors.
What’s he on $ any idea?

anglo

Juniors
I really don't know, and salaries don't get revealed over here. But it will be a tiny fraction of what he was on in Aus.

£50k (about $92.5k) would make him one of the top earners in the Championship...about half his team mates will have a full-time job outside RL (Featherstone are a hybrid team, they train 3-4 evenings a week and have some players whose only job is rugby).

It will have been sold to him as a potential stepping stone to a SL career for sure...he's still only 29, SL clubs will be watching him next year for sure and of course Fev are one of the favourites to gain promotion to SL so he probably has two bites at the cherry in terms of getting a lucrative contract over here, or even back in the NRL if he really impresses.

The length of his deal with Fev hasn't been announced but I'd be very surprised if it isn't one year. Cam King, Makahesi Makatoa and Nu Brown all spent a year with Fev and all then got a new contract at an NRL team.

BrotherJim05

Bench
It's funny that he still thinks he's a quality NRL player. Absolutely no humility at just admitting he doesn't have it any more

Tiger05

First Grade
It's funny that he still thinks he's a quality NRL player. Absolutely no humility at just admitting he doesn't have it any more

I have limited inside information on the club but I spoke to someone yesterday who is within the club and he stated he thought it was good BJ was gone because he didn't work hard.

He might go okay overseas in a second tier comp.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
I have limited inside information on the club but I spoke to someone yesterday who is within the club and he stated he thought it was good BJ was gone because he didn't work hard.

He might go okay overseas in a second tier comp.
I thought that was blatantly obvious to anyone who has eyes

the guy is pathetic

simmo1

First Grade
I'll be surprised if you get anywhere near his best. I'd expect him to be 10kg overweight and rely on his natural strength v semi-professional(?) opponents.

Either way, I'd be interested to know how he goes.

macnaz

Staff member
Ill never forget when he joined WT's and a journalist asked him who he thought was the best centre in the game and he replied " your looking at him " what a tool!
His actions didnt go anywhere matching his big egotistical mouth.

anglo

Juniors
I'll be surprised if you get anywhere near his best. I'd expect him to be 10kg overweight and rely on his natural strength v semi-professional(?) opponents.

Either way, I'd be interested to know how he goes.
You're probably right. But expectations are going to be different - high by UK Championship standards, but not remotely in the ballpark of a $850k NRL marquee-type signing. It's a gamble by Featherstone, but we are already arguably the strongest team in the division and he won't be expected to carry the team on his back by any means.

It's a bit like when Leigh signed the 34-year-old Fui Fui Moi Moi...nobody expects him to be anywhere near as good as at his NRL peak, but if he can be in vaguely reasonable shape, score a few tries, make a few big hits, that should be enough, his signing has already casued a big stir over here and got people talking about Featherstone.

simmo1

First Grade
You're probably right. But expectations are going to be different - high by UK Championship standards, but not remotely in the ballpark of a $850k NRL marquee-type signing. It's a gamble by Featherstone, but we are already arguably the strongest team in the division and he won't be expected to carry the team on his back by any means.

It's a bit like when Leigh signed the 34-year-old Fui Fui Moi Moi...nobody expects him to be anywhere near as good as at his NRL peak, but if he can be in vaguely reasonable shape, score a few tries, make a few big hits, that should be enough, his signing has already casued a big stir over here and got people talking about Featherstone.

Difference is that Moi Moi was an absolute professional on and off the field, whereas BJ certainly isn't.

Getting out of the NRL bubble is probably going to be good for him, so it may well work for you guys, but just don't hold your breath.

anglo

Juniors
Difference is that Moi Moi was an absolute professional on and off the field
Seriously? "Fui Fui play 10 minutes, Fui Fui train 10 minutes"? The incident when Moi Moi was sacked by Toronto along with Dave Taylor for various alleged indiscretions? His wife's very public attacks on his extra-marital activities? The bar for being "an absolute professional on and off the field" seems pretty low (and yes I know BJ has done worse).

simmo1

First Grade
Seriously? "Fui Fui play 10 minutes, Fui Fui train 10 minutes"? The incident when Moi Moi was sacked by Toronto along with Dave Taylor for various alleged indiscretions? His wife's very public attacks on his extra-marital activities? The bar for being "an absolute professional on and off the field" seems pretty low (and yes I know BJ has done worse).

Lol I must live under a rock. He always OK when he was in NRL I thought.

gordsy

Juniors
I always find it suprising when the partners of footy players are shocked to find out that they have been or are being cheated on. I think it would be more of a shock if they didn't...

If Joey had the mentality to match his raw abilities he wouldn’t be out of the NRL or have even had to play at 4 different clubs before his 30th birthday. He will probably crush a lower level league, but the bloke is the poster child for wasted potential. Shows up once a month and thinks it’s enough.

That said, maybe a softer touch coach might be what he needs. Brian Smith, Sticky and Madge certainly aren’t a soft touch.

Latest posts