What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Dogs Of War

Coach
There are quite a few broncos haters in brisbane, especially those that favour the reds or the lions but still enjoy rugby league. It will be interesting to see if they all jump on the Dolphins wagon. I hope they do, and stay.

I think there will be a lot of fans who live that way who supported non-QLD teams and a new team with no skin in the game makes changing teams a hell of a lot easier. Will help if they are moderately successful from the get go.

When the Knights came in, as a Newy boy I was thinking of changing. Went to plenty of games in that first season as the ground is an easy walk from Adamstown. But the Dogs winning the comp put paid to changing teams. Could be a good chance for QLD Tigers & Dragons fans to jump ship.

Jamberoo

Juniors
39.3km compared to 18.7km according to google Maps. But yeh let’s hope so, 20k crowds should be the min we are Hoping for given how for years we’ve been hearing how brisbane fans are crying out for a different team than broncos to follow. Must be at least 10 games at Suncorp though,
Yes there are lots of different routes you can take. According to google maps if you leave now it is 35 mins Redcliff to Suncorp and 31 nims Freo to Optus. My point is that the situations are very similar, distance for Freo has not been a problem, and it is not a reason to suggest that the Dolphins were a poor choice. As I said, 10 games Suncorp, two on Sunshine Coast. Training, pre-season and NRLW games @ Redcliffe.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
in your opinion, for mine Firehawks had much greater chance of appealing to the whole of Brisbane and becoming the second best supported club in the NRL. Redcliffe will struggle to be this with the continued notion of being a moreton bay club that has to play in the centre of Brisbane. Anyway that ship has sailed and we will wish them well in being successful, the more successful they are the sooner we'll see an 18th club that hopefully is a genuine expansion of the NRL.
I honestly view this as a longer term play by the NRL. They weren't trying to overlap the Broncos area too much, they said that many times. The Dolphins will represent an area that is a growth corridor north of the city. It is possible that the Jets or Firehawks (maybe a merge) will come in, in the future and represent the growth corridor west of the city.

I think this is the NRL learning the lessons from Sydney. As we all acknowledge, there are probably not going to be any of the current Sydney clubs removed from the NRL so the next best option is to spread them to growth areas... Tigers to Campbeltown, Dragons south to Wollongong, Manly to spread to wider north sydney and the central coast. The NRL is trying to give the different regions of SEQ representation without overlapping too much and without oversaturating. Dolphins (North), Broncos (Central), Jets/Firehawks (West) and Titans (South) is a good spread will put a lot of pressure on other codes as it essentially locks in RL as the number 1 code forever.

MugaB

Coach
I honestly view this as a longer term play by the NRL. They weren't trying to overlap the Broncos area too much, they said that many times. The Dolphins will represent an area that is a growth corridor north of the city. It is possible that the Jets or Firehawks (maybe a merge) will come in, in the future and represent the growth corridor west of the city.

I think this is the NRL learning the lessons from Sydney. As we all acknowledge, there are probably not going to be any of the current Sydney clubs removed from the NRL so the next best option is to spread them to growth areas... Tigers to Campbeltown, Dragons south to Wollongong, Manly to spread to wider north sydney and the central coast. The NRL is trying to give the different regions of SEQ representation without overlapping too much and without oversaturating. Dolphins (North), Broncos (Central), Jets/Firehawks (West) and Titans (South) is a good spread will put a lot of pressure on other codes as it essentially locks in RL as the number 1 code forever.
Broncos are city and west, dolphins are north, if firehawks come in theyd be also city and East... that's why i don't think they'll get the licence... it'll be perth, or bears in a place that isn't in NSW

Broncos are city and west, dolphins are north, if firehawks come in theyd be also city and East... that's why i don't think they'll get the licence... it'll be perth, or bears in a place that isn't in NSW
The Bears have no chance of getting in as their bid has nothing behind it. Bugger all money, a small and decrepit fanbase that was never large enough to support the North Sydney Bears, few juniors and no base as they're selling themselves to whoever will take them.

The Firehawks have money, assets and a sizeable nursery ranging from Bulimba in eastern Brisbane to Yarrabilba in southern Logan. Broncos do f**k-all in southern Logan and the Titans are more active in reaching out to the junior clubs. Tigers already have junior clubs in Flagstone and plan on moving into Yarrabilba. They also provide direct competition to the Brisbane Lions in the south-eastern suburbs of Brisbane and Logan's north-eastern suburbs, which is where the Lions are based.

Perth is a definite possibility as they have strong financial backers, a stadium and a large city. Juniors are growing nicely. Could very well be the next NRL team.

I think there will be a lot of fans who live that way who supported non-QLD teams and a new team with no skin in the game makes changing teams a hell of a lot easier. Will help if they are moderately successful from the get go.

When the Knights came in, as a Newy boy I was thinking of changing. Went to plenty of games in that first season as the ground is an easy walk from Adamstown. But the Dogs winning the comp put paid to changing teams. Could be a good chance for QLD Tigers & Dragons fans to jump ship.
Cowboys fans in SEQ should be targeted as possible converts.

Big Salad

Juniors
in your opinion, for mine Firehawks had much greater chance of appealing to the whole of Brisbane and becoming the second best supported club in the NRL. Redcliffe will struggle to be this with the continued notion of being a moreton bay club that has to play in the centre of Brisbane. Anyway that ship has sailed and we will wish them well in being successful, the more successful they are the sooner we'll see an 18th club that hopefully is a genuine expansion of the NRL.
It is very, very easy to catch a train from Kippa-Ring (or any station on that line) to Suncorp. The trains on that line go through to Springfield, so they all stop at Milton (Suncorp) all day anyway. It really shouldn't be a deterrent for people in this area to travel to Suncorp to attend games.

It used to take a lot longer to get back to the northside when the Broncos were at ANZ/QEII stadium, waiting in line for ages to catch a bus back to the Queen St Mall to change to another bus/train.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Wonder how much Leichhardt and Cronulla

As previously mentioned somewhere in here I had no expectation for sharks upgrades as we own it so I’m happy with some funding for “improved facilities”. We will look after the major upgrades in coming years.

Last edited:

ash the bash

Juniors
Interesting, that would have to mean WT's would have to play more than 3 games a year at LO.

Im surprised Campbelltown stadium missed out, probably has more of a case for an upgrade than LO on face value.

Also no mention of Kogarah upgrade so that must be gone.

Penrith - New stadium
Brookvale Oval - New/upgrades
LO - upgrades
Shark Park - upgrades

Leaves the Bulldogs at Accor Stadium (OZ stadium) and Bunnies at the new SFS.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
You’d imagine the money is more than just a lick of paint
Speaking only regarding shark park I’d suggest the money is being used to support the already planned upgrades phases post the development completion.

Would form part of an agreement to allow usage of the ground as approved by the sharks board. Win / win.

jim_57

Staff member
Assuming putting a roof on Stadium Australia would make it harder to ever make it rectangular that would be a very poor outcome for NRL.

Leichardt is a shit call too unless it’s minimal upkeep money.

Latest posts