What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

gaffer

Juniors
Seems that since the Dogs secured a Pub Magnate as chief sponsor, signing players doesn’t present a problem. Another club that has a multi millionaire involved with numerous businesses seems to be able to retain players on unders.

Dont expect any queries from the NRL, given the profiles of the important people at those clubs.
get a gold card free piss till ya vomit at any sponsor owned hotel

King-Gutho94

Coach
As If I didn't hate Gould already, this just takes the cake. He's decimated the club for 2023.

I hope the merkin gets a heart attack while being blown by Barrett.

Our only hope is that Barrett is a shit coach.
He is mate 33% win record for trent just ask manly fans

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dolphins have 9 million to spend

There isnt anyone else out there.

May as well stick to our strategy in getting cheap players and rebuild the roster

We must have either players on massive overs already and stuffed up where we dont know about or the club have become a bunch of tightarses

Its embarrassing to lose 2 players in papali'i and mahoney in one week.

Why bother paying overs on someone externally when we didn't want to for those 2
We made Lussick look like a first grader, we'll be able to replace Mahoney.

84 Baby

Referee
As If I didn't hate Gould already, this just takes the cake. He's decimated the club for 2023.

I hope the merkin gets a heart attack while being blown by Barrett.

Our only hope is that Barrett is a shit coach.
I was going to stay out of the thread but you pulled me back in. The unrealised side effect of 18 month in advance contracts? Now we get to listen to Rabs mention him leaving every f**ken time he is on screen and then f**ken Jabba chiming in with a shit eating smirk.
I’ll be watching games on mute next year

lucablight

First Grade
Yep, everyone is replaceable. No merkin is bigger than the club.
I don’t even know what this means. If the goal is to win a premiership then there are are certain players you should keep? If the answer is yes then that literally means they are not replaceable. Unless you’re saying you can replace the entire team with reserve graders and still challenge for a title? If you’re pointing out that the club will continue to survive no matter who comes and goes then that goes without saying and you’re just offering meaningless platitudes.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This is fine. I’m so proud of the club for not paying overs. I’d rather go into the season millions under the cap with no players rather than paying overs. Let the other teams have the good players and become stronger while we brag about how we didn’t overpay.
Do you really think we are trying to spend less than the cap?

Yeah, would love to keep him in blue and gold but really, his injuries are a reason you don't pay him that sort of cash

Love the bloke and think we could win a title with him, but really, money talks considering it was the club who cut him.

Meanwhile, I would love to now how the Dogs afford all of these players - they are turning into the new Roosters in terms of the salary cap.

No one knew who Mahoney was a few years ago and we developed him. Would be handy to get a ready made first grader as a replacement (not Korasau please) but lets find a player and develop again.

Mind you, anyone who thinks we are a geniune title chance in the coming years is still ambitious. Yes, a finals team but nothing more.

lucablight

First Grade
Do you really think we are trying to spend less than the cap?
I get the impression we outsmarted ourselves by lowballing players and then genuinely getting caught off guard by clubs coming in and swooping in and stealing our players from right in front of our noses. I listened to a podcast a few months ago and Bernie was very confident in saying we will keep whenever we want to keep. Do you really think the club expected to lose Papali’i, Niukore and Mahoney?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Am f**ken shattered by this news as i know his preference was to stay at Parra and it seems that the Dogs offer was just more than we could afford. f**ken Dogs.
So we couldn't afford to match the 600k??? Really??? I call BS. 600K for an origin spine quality player is unders. A fat turd like Luciano just got 700k. Where has all the money gone??? D Brown is on 650k but we couldn't offer our dummy half and far more important player 600k???

Maybe our players are sick of chasing the collision???

This is a great post
Look, at the rate of games per year for which Reed is fit to play, he'll be hardly on the field in 2023.

2019 26 games
2020 21 games
2021 17 games
2022 17-3 games
2023 14-2 games =12. That's less than half a season!
You could work out the averages for players actually fit to play and suspensions then work out what they really cost per season.

So if Barry is arguing that he only plays 75% of a season, then his true or real cost is an extra 25% straight away.

This the dogs paid the big dollars plus another 25% non-playing tax on top of of that.

Not perfect methodology, but I hope that allays some of the hysteria we read.