What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Noise

Coach
Marata wanted to go home. RCG is at the prime age for a player of his type (the merkin runs for 150m per game and they're not cheap). Mahoney has had increasing dubious run with injuries that might (or might not) become a real problem. Let's see who they use the cap space on, hey?
RCG is in his prime now. We already had him locked up for 2022. He will be 30 in 2023 and 32 by the time his extension finishes. That is not his prime.

And Mahoney is now one of the best hookers in the game about to enter his prime. We have f**ked up royally by not matching the Bulldogs 600k offer.

And Papalii was the 2nd rower of the year also about to hit his prime.

If we aren't going to spend good money on an excellent young 9 and / or an excellent young edge / middle forward capable of playing 80 minutes then our recruitment committee need to find a new calling.

84 Baby

Referee
And the Dolphins have a dog in that fight, well, more likely a bottle-nosed dophin than a dog.
Yep we’ve cooked it. Now there’s 272 first grade starters and I reckon we had more in the top half than we did in bottom half of those. Now we’ve lost 3 of them in short order with no replacements in sight. In 2023 there’ll be 289 first grade starters but I don’t think the actual depth of talent has improved. The only guys we currently have that I can realistically see pushing our average up are Penisini (massive pressure on a rookie), Drown & Dunster (and both of them aren’t locked up either).
The 3 year limit has to be done away with unless you can convince more players to take 2 year contracts. Having so much off contract at one time is great in theory but if you actually want to keep the players, it f**ks you into a hole. We’re in rebuild right now, and we may need to take a hit with missing a signing or two if it means we have staggered contracts opposed to this mess

lucablight

First Grade
The Dogs offered way more than us and an extra year how did we get blind sided???

Incompetence at its finest. Talk about being asleep at the wheel.
Yet Pou wants to craft the narrative that the club was in control of the situation the entire time. The evidence seems to suggest otherwise.

RCG is in his prime now. We already had him locked up for 2022. He will be 30 in 2023 and 32 by the time his extension finishes. That is not his prime.

And Mahoney is now one of the best hookers in the game about to enter his prime. We have f**ked up royally by not matching the Bulldogs 600k offer.

And you Papalii was the 2nd rower of the year also about to hit his prime.

If we aren't going to spend good money on an excellent young 9 and / or an excellent young edge / middle forward then our recruitment committee need to find a new calling.

As I've said in a previous post, I find the loss of Papa the most disappointing. I think he was worth upping the offer a litte more.

Let's see the Mahoney thing plays out.

There'd be plenty of geniuses on this site who would bag the club for re-signing him on big money if his shoulder falls to pieces.

Noise

Coach
As I've said in a previous post, I find the loss of Papa the most disappointing. I think he was worth upping the offer a litte more.

Let's see the Mahoney thing plays out.

There'd be plenty of geniuses on this site who would bag the club for re-signing him on big money if his shoulder falls to pieces.
600 for Mahoney isn't big money. I reckon it is pretty reasonable.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think we will be good in 2022. No idea about 2023. Need to see the side.
I wouldn’t be too concerned yet. We do not want to put to much money into our spine and be useless everywhere else.

I would let Jnr walk after 2022. Start the rebuild. Does anyone remember back in the late nineties when Parra lost a heap of experienced guys and then all these young kids come from nowhere. I think we pushed the Broncos in the finals after finishing 7th or 8th.

Penrith lost far better players when they let DWZ,WAQA,RCG,Maloney,Tamou all go in recent times.

Chipmunk

Coach

Sounds like we were blindsided.
Surely the club knew how much the club next door had offered, and shouldn't have been surprised he decided to take the deal if he was offered $100k per year and one season more than what they were offering. They're delusional if they think players are going to stay for considerably less than they can get elsewhere.

Eelogical

Referee
Broadly agree on both points.
The problem with the first point is it is very difficult at times to pinpoint exactly what it is about the club one supports. I actually hate more things about the club than I like. I like the badge and the old legends that were one club players. I hate the jerseys/advertisement billboards. The players are just lumps of flesh. From now on I am going to refer to them by their jersey number rather than their name. I think the club should promote the old legends more.
In my mind, the players clearly see themselves the same way. Gladiators of sorts who align themselves to the highest bidder. That is where the game is going and it will continue to get worse. The Dolphins will only amplify this. We might be going nuts about the Mahoney >Dogs 2023 signing but wait until we collectively see how many players sign with Redcliffe before the 2022 is done.

eels_fan

First Grade
For me it’s a culture issue as well. If our club culture was strong enough - no player would ever leave us for the dogs, panthers or tigers.

The history and local rivalry should be so etched into their heads that they hate the mere hearing of their name, let alone consider wearing their jersey.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Before we execute O’Neill I’ve just been informed that the offer was well north of $700k. No chance I’d be giving the little cauliflower eared bastard that much coin.
It doesn't make sense that it would've been close, though the media trying to generate drama will tell you it was. It's not like Mahoney (or Niukore or Papali'i) have left to the Bunnies or Chooks.

Latest posts