What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

stgeorge1

Juniors
Could be wrong tbrv but pretty sure Sullivan was injured at the same time. Vaguely recall me cursing the timing last year…?
Su
Could be wrong tbrv but pretty sure Sullivan was injured at the same time. Vaguely recall me cursing the timing last year…?
Sullivan was injured most of the year played 2 minor grade games then played a couple of first grade games at the end of the season

boardlumps62

Juniors
Help me here if Sullivan wants 6 on his back does that means Amone is out the door?
Maybe he thinks 6 is the half but whoever wrote up the story says Sullivan wants to be 5/8. Now to me Sullivan is 7 Amone is 6 that is once we sort out Ben Hunt who is the 7 currently. I'm confused where are they all going to play?

randomdragon

Juniors
Interesting to note His deal is a 1 year deal with a player option for the 2nd year if he reaches a certain amount of games. In regards to Aaron woods just saw on Twitter?

Gareth67

First Grade
Interesting to note His deal is a 1 year deal with a player option for the 2nd year if he reaches a certain amount of games. In regards to Aaron woods just saw on Twitter?
Hopefully Woods will surprise us all and show a bit of spark , he has quite a few tough nuts in the pack to spur him on .

I would like the man to go out with a bang , who knows we may all be calling him the big mean bear before long . 🐻

Rod Coil

Juniors
Hopefully Woods will surprise us all and show a bit of spark , he has quite a few tough nuts in the pack to spur him on .

I would like the man to go out with a bang , who knows we may all be calling him the big mean bear before long . 🐻
As much as I have not liked Woods for many years, I respect the fact that it is almost impossible to get him to ground & he scored tries directly through the meat of our pack the last two times we played him. Now he is wearing a St.George jersey I will not death ride him, but support him.

Dragon David

First Grade

I'd like to see all of the "tough nuts" spur each other on and run and tackle with purpose for the full 80 minutes. Keep geeing each other up and toughing it out.

Gareth67

First Grade
I'd like to see all of the "tough nuts" spur each other on and run and tackle with purpose for the full 80 minutes. Keep geeing each other up and toughing it out.

That should be exactly what Griffin will hopefully get into their heads D.D. The mark of a team that is playing for one another and the jersey they are wearing .

possm

Coach
What are our movements on players for 2023 and beyond?? I'm yet to see or hear anything. Three star hookers have or about to sign elsewhere instead we will be putting our eggs in the Mulheisen basket? A player we've never seen on fg before?

I'm a little perplexed by our lack of activity while the quality players are available. Now competing with an extra franchise so need to be as proactive and aggressive as ever.

We've got a patchwork and aspirational team for 2022 and the 3 of the most bleak seasons I can recall. Surely we can't be resting on our laurels at this point.

This is basic list management stuff.
Hunt will most probably play hooker in 2023 with Sullivan being our halfback. So, with Macca, Mbye, and the new young hooker all waiting in the wings, I can't see us signing another hooker just yet.

possm

Coach
And how do you expect him to get the experience or see if he is up to it if you have him playing 20min at 9 each week.
If the plan for him were to be a 14 and a back up 9 he wouldn't of extended.

He is 7 in first or 7 in ressie that's it.
If Hunt plays at 9, we have the best of both worlds. What a spine that makes, Sloan, Amone, Sullivan, and Hunt. By the late rounds of 2022 and for 2023 and beyond, our spine could be the most creative and damaging spine in the competition.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Why are people trying to fit 3 pegs into 2 holes, just isn't going to work.

Macca will be the starting or bench hooker. So that's either #9 or #14.
Mbye will be either be the bench hooker or starting hooker. So that's either #14 or #9.

So it can be determined that positions #9 and #14 are filled.

The battle for the #6 will come down to Jr and Bud, with probably Jr being the frontrunner.

So it can be determined that #6 is filled.

Ben Hunt will wear the #7 and will captain the team.

So, unless there's an injury, positions 6, 7, 9 ad 14 look safely locked away.

Just on Bud. He's signed for another 4yrs. His opportunity will come soon enough and that's why he re-signed for the further 3 seasons. He's also missed a lot of football over the last 2yrs, through COVID and injury. Have patience.

getsmarty

Immortal

Mbye will be either be the bench hooker or starting hooker. So that's either #14 or #9.

The battle for the #6 will come down to Jr and Bud, with probably Jr being the frontrunner.

Just on Bud. He's signed for another 4yrs. His opportunity will come soon enough and that's why he re-signed for the further 3 seasons. He's also missed a lot of football over the last 2yrs, through COVID and injury. Have patience.

Well said.

thebigredv

First Grade

It's easy to fill positions but you answered your own question. People want to see something better at hooker. Hence the discussion. Macca and Mbye won't be premiership material. Creative spark, unpredictability, inventiveness...see any finals team and you will see a dummy half with those traits.

In any case, you are correct. Those will be the selections for now. At least it's still better than last year without the overpaid underperforming five-eight who played 3 seasons too many at Dragons.

Crush

Coach

I think that 7, 9, 14 are a lock with 1, 6, still up for grabs.

1. Ramsay/Sloan
6. Bird/Amone/Sullivan
7. Hunt
9. Macca
14. Mbye

I personally think Sloan, Amone, Sullivan will start in reserve grade but will get their chances soon enough.

blacksafake

First Grade

This👆

Walpole

Juniors
I think the reason people want to see the young blokes in the 1, 6 and 7 is that it's something to get excited, even optimistic about. A bit of flair and creativity might go a long way to bringing back some of the more disillusioned fans. I don't imagine anyone getting too enthusiastic about watching solid, dependable veterans run the same old block plays and make 50 tackles a game.

be55

Juniors
It's easy to fill positions but you answered your own question. People want to see something better at hooker. Hence the discussion. Macca and Mbye won't be premiership material. Creative spark, unpredictability, inventiveness...see any finals team and you will see a dummy half with those traits.
Tonight Show Comedian GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Latest posts