What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lucablight

First Grade
So you say join the price war bewteen the desperate clubs (dolphins, dogs etc) and pay whatever it takes ?
Kind of sick of this type of talk mate. We aren’t going to have any good players left if we keep trumpeting how we’re not going to get into a bidding war with “desperate clubs”. Good players cost money and we have to choose which good players we’re going to spend our cap on. It’s not my job to negotiate with players to get them to re-sign with the club. There are people at the club who get paid to do that. If all they can bring to the table is how much they can pay the player then they obviously aren’t very good negotiators. Are we going to trot out this excuse every time we lose our good players?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Doesn't make sense for Gould to move on Cotric and Thompson to relieve cap presuure only to sign Jnr on a big deal. But what would I know.

This is a great point.

Though maybe the combined costs of Thompson, and Cotric, would free up enough for Junior?

I don't know.

I'm over all this crap, anyway.

How the Dogs have the cap space to go on the signing spree they have is beyond me.

If Junior wants to go, let him go - we survived without him before.

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
Heard a rumour this morning that Mahoney is going to back flip and stay with us. Sounds a bit BS to me though
Mahoney is gone he has told BA and the club they would be waiting on the NRL to register the contract and its probably due to the fact they are over the cap already in 2023 and need to shed players to become cap compliant in 2023 before the NRL have approved it.

Plus as a fan i have checked out mentally on mahoney he has made his decision he can live with it. I hope the club has too and already close to getting a replacement

Eelementary

Post Whore
Kind of sick of this type of talk mate. We aren’t going to have any good players left if we keep trumpeting how we’re not going to get into a bidding war with “desperate clubs”. Good players cost money and we have to choose which good players we’re going to spend our cap on. It’s not my job to negotiate with players to get them to re-sign with the club. There are people at the club who get paid to do that. If all they can bring to the table is how much they can pay the player then they obviously aren’t very good negotiators. Are we going to trot out this excuse every time we lose our good players?

We are trying to responsibly manage our cap, so that we don't end up like a club that needs to shed players, in order to fit in new signings.

If it turns out that it is better business to see players go elsewhere for more money, so that we can retain certain key players, and sign and/or promote lower-priced players, then why not go for it?

The only player that was really hard to replace, imo, was Mahoney, due to his bag of tricks.

Niukore - one of my favourite players - runs, and tackles, hard. Hardly irreplaceable.

Papali'i CAN offload, though he isn't noted for it; his strength is his power. Again - not completely irreplaceable.

Gutherson cops a lot of criticism - some of it warranted -, but the man is constantly producing good numbers, is a team captain, is a decent goal-kicking option, and is the best defensive fullback in the NRL. Ball hog or not, he was a pretty important player to keep.

I applaud this stance the club has taken, of refusing to budge on their valuing of certain players.

We need to remain competitive - that is not achieved by entering in a bidding war for our own players.

I don't begrudge players taking more money - I love the company I work for, and I love my job; but if someone offered me $10,000 a year more to work for them...well, I'd be silly not to take it.

Money talks.

Well-run NRL clubs don't listen to the bullshit.

King-Gutho94

Coach
That other site is really a swamp these days.
Haha are you talking about one eyed eel site

Are there many moderators over there managing it anymore.

Its still a decent enough site for news but there always seems to be like 4 or 5 blogs on the same subject gets very annoying scrolling through the site it seems to have lost its structure.

I was on there as a member briefly a few years back but gave up pretty quickly. I still scroll through the site though and see what the opinions are out there

lucablight

First Grade
We are trying to responsibly manage our cap, so that we don't end up like a club that needs to shed players, in order to fit in new signings.

If it turns out that it is better business to see players go elsewhere for more money, so that we can retain certain key players, and sign and/or promote lower-priced players, then why not go for it?

The only player that was really hard to replace, imo, was Mahoney, due to his bag of tricks.

Niukore - one of my favourite players - runs, and tackles, hard. Hardly irreplaceable.

Papali'i CAN offload, though he isn't noted for it; his strength is his power. Again - not completely irreplaceable.

Gutherson cops a lot of criticism - some of it warranted -, but the man is constantly producing good numbers, is a team captain, is a decent goal-kicking option, and is the best defensive fullback in the NRL. Ball hog or not, he was a pretty important player to keep.

I applaud this stance the club has taken, of refusing to budge on their valuing of certain players.

We need to remain competitive - that is not achieved by entering in a bidding war for our own players.

I don't begrudge players taking more money - I love the company I work for, and I love my job; but if someone offered me $10,000 a year more to work for them...well, I'd be silly not to take it.

Money talks.

Well-run NRL clubs don't listen to the bullshit.
We’ve already lost Ferguson, Niukore, Papali’i and Mahoney over the course of the next two seasons without signing anyone of note. This is despite not even coming close to a grand final appearance. I’m sorry but if we don’t make any significant signings but continue to lose our talent then it becomes very hard for me to understand as a fan. If we’re going to lose our talent I want to see a tangible reason for it eg we ended up signing X player instead. My issue is we’re losing our talent and not seeing any reason as to what course of action is being taken to offset this. Do you think Penrith is sitting there bragging about how they’re not splurging or are they getting the job done by re-signing their talent such as Leota, Fisher Harris, Crichton, Luai, Yeo in 2021? When they can retain those players despite making a grand final then it makes our retention look weak in comparison.

Eelementary

Post Whore
We’ve already lost Ferguson, Niukore, Papali’i and Mahoney over the course of the next two seasons without signing anyone of note. This is despite not even coming close to a grand final appearance. I’m sorry but if we don’t make any significant signings but continue to lose our talent then it becomes very hard for me to understand as a fan. If we’re going to lose our talent I want to see a tangible reason for it eg we ended up signing X player instead. My issue is we’re losing our talent and not seeing any reason as to what course of action is being taken to offset this. Do you think Penrith is sitting there bragging about how they’re not splurging or are they getting the job done by re-signing their talent such as Leota, Fisher Harris, Crichton, Luai, Yeo in 2021? When they can retain those players despite making a grand final then it makes our retention look weak in comparison.

We lost Ferguson - Sean Russell will likely take his spot.

We lost Mahoney - until another hooker gets signed, Ray Stone (who has hardly played) takes his spot. Not to mention Mitch Rein.

We lost Niukore (who predominantly played middle) - Rodwell takes his spot.

It's not as bad as it seems, tbh.

lucablight

First Grade
We lost Ferguson - Sean Russell will likely take his spot.

We lost Mahoney - until another hooker gets signed, Ray Stone (who has hardly played) takes his spot. Not to mention Mitch Rein.

We lost Niukore (who predominantly played middle) - Rodwell takes his spot.

It's not as bad as it seems, tbh.
We lost established first graders who were excelling in their positions and are replacing them with untested kids. My point is that Penrith were able to re-sign a lot of their established superstars without being subject to the same bidding wars that are ravaging our club. I’d love to know who exactly the nucleus of this club is supposed to be.

lucablight

First Grade
Penrith managed to re-sign Leota, Fisher-Harris, Crichton, Yeo, Luai a year after making a grand final. Meanwhile we made it to week 2 last season and lost our best forward for the season and our rising hooker and people are still trying to justify how we shouldn’t worry about re-signing Paulo because we’d wreck our salary cap. It’s ridiculous. You can’t tell me those Penrith players wouldn’t be worth more than a lot of our players.

Pazza

First Grade
We lost established first graders who were excelling in their positions and are replacing them with untested kids. My point is that Penrith were able to re-sign a lot of their established superstars without being subject to the same bidding wars that are ravaging our club. I’d love to know who exactly the nucleus of this club is supposed to be.

its interesting that moving forward over the next 5 years you's say ideally the nucleus of this side would be Penisini, Drwon, Mahoney, Marata, papallii.

Now you cant keep everyone but losing a fringe origin spine player and a dally m 2nd rower of the year in one off season is a huge step backward for the club. Even more painful considering the club is closer than ever to ending the drought.

Noise

Coach
Junior will be 30 in 2023 so we'll have had him for the best part of his career.

You gotta move the old fellas along otherwise we lose the young fellas if we don't create spots for them

No too fussed if he goes in 2023

Yeah but Jnr’s next contract will be for prolly 3 years on marquee front row coin. Are you prepared to pay that ?
You merkins were all praising the club for re-signing RCG and he is the same age (actually 4 months older).

Pazza

First Grade
Merkins on here all thought by re-signing/extending BA we would be able to re-sign most of our off contract players. Besides RCG, Gutho might be the only one we re-sign and he was the one most of us were happy to f**k off.

Having this many quality players off contract at the same time with a new club in the market has been a massive mistake. Was it unavoidable??? who knows

If Jnr goes as well ill dare say this will be the worst off season in my 20 years support the club.

Pazza

First Grade
You merkins were all praising the club for re-signing RCG and he is the same age (actually 4 months older).

is 30 that old? considering this team is built to win now or the next couple of seasons. If we have a couple of old props on overs in 2024 ill take it given we win a comp in the next couple of years.