What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Colk

First Grade
I think you'll find that with most Perth sporting teams (West Coast, Fremantle, Scorchers, Wildcats, Fever) already on Fox/Kayo, if people in Perth/WA wanted Fox/Kayo, they'd already have it

I know one thing the AFL do well is having their teams on FTA. I’m sure somebody who lives there (PR for example) can confirm it but if we get the fumbleball on FTA in NSW then they definitely would or should. Most Big Bash games are also on FTA

You would be right about the basketball though. Don’t know about the netball.

Brick Tamland

Juniors
I get that time would be east coast but I have never understood why we play at 8pm instead of 7:30pm every week. The only reason why I could keep it at 8pm on a week would be if a NZ side were playing at home earlier at 6pm. If the NZ team aren’t playing at home then the 6pm time is a terrible time.

With a Perth side you could start their game at 7 or 7:30pm and beam in on the east coast at 9-9:30. If the NZ side were playing at 6pm EST then you could also bring the Perth game forward at 6:30 their time, 8:30 EST.

In a perfect world you would have both because it just gives you a lot of flexibility
a Perth 7pm (9pm east coast) game would just cannibalise audiences watching the current east coast 8pm game. Can't see Fox or Nine paying for that

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That's why I think Brisbane 3 is a serious possibility to win the 18th licence, provided The Dolphins pull good ratings. Ch9 and Foxtel gain f**k all from NZ 2 as Australians aren't interested in watching NZ teams. The money will come from Brisbane 3 as its population is nearing 3 million over the next 10 to 15 years and there's plenty of people living in regional Queensland who will watch Brisbane teams.
Mate, the value in NZ2 is in the additional NZ TV money plus the additional Aus TV money (for the extra game) and the additional playing talent from NZ.

Brisbane 3 or Perth are great options but they only offer the extra Aus TV money, not both Aus & NZ TV money.

Colk

First Grade
a Perth 7pm (9pm east coast) game would just cannibalise audiences watching the current east coast 8pm game. Can't see Fox or Nine paying for that

I was talking about in situations where a NZ side were playing at home. They would play at 6-6:30 and then it would lead into the game from Perth.

Brick Tamland

Juniors
I know one thing the AFL do well is having their teams on FTA. I’m sure somebody who lives there (PR for example) can confirm it but if we get the fumbleball on FTA in NSW then they definitely would or should. Most Big Bash games are also on FTA

You would be right about the basketball though. Don’t know about the netball.
You're right on this one, this is something NRL need to do a lot better

Colk

First Grade
Mate, the value in NZ2 is in the additional NZ TV money plus the additional Aus TV money (for the extra game) and the additional playing talent from NZ.

Brisbane 3 or Perth are great options but they only offer the extra Aus TV money, not both Aus & NZ TV money.

Exactly. You have to be careful with the extra playing talent from NZ argument.

That hasn’t really translated with the Warriors or indeed to any great success on or off the field.

We have to be sure that we are not just cannabilising the Warriors and killing them off in the process

Brick Tamland

Juniors

That hasn’t really translated with the Warriors or indeed to any great success on or off the field.

We have to be sure that we are not just cannabilising the Warriors and killing them off in the process
Just because the Warriors have terrible management and been abysmally run, doesn't mean the owners of another NZ team would run it just as badly

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Yes you are correct about the Warriors, very frustrating club. If they can get their shit together even for 5 mins they would be huge in NZ (and Aus, you see the bandwagoners when they are going well). They are the sleeping giant of NZ sport and would be second only to the All Blacks if they went on a golden run for a generation or so.

The benefit of having the Warriors in the NRL is the amount of NZ talent that has filtered through to other NRL clubs. Yes, admittedly the Warriors have produced very little of these themselves, but the presence of the game at a professional level since 1995 has seen a steady increase in participation. The Kiwis are the team that has seen the most benefit of this, winning the Tri-Nations in 1995, the World Cup in 2008, the 4 Nations in 2010, the 4 Nations in 2014 and they are currently the # 1 ranked nation. Prior to 1995, they had zero major trophies in the cabinet.

Colk

First Grade
You're right on this one, this is something NRL need to do a lot better

It’s dreadful really. It’s one argument or factor against a second NZ side in particular. I know that the Australian market is not necessarily the target for the Warriors or indeed another Kiwi side but it is an example of how the NRL could and should support a side in NZ.

The Warriors are never on FTA even when they have had good sides or enjoyable sides to watch

Colk

First Grade
Just because the Warriors have terrible management and been abysmally run, doesn't mean the owners of another NZ team would run it just as badly

It’s a little from column A and a little from column B though. No argument about the Warriors not being well managed but they face certain challenges regarding recruitment; even more so than other such clubs like the Cowboys or the Raiders. They still need to recruit players.

The biggest thing though is the infrequency of FTA coverage in NZ. If the NRL want the Warriors and an additional side in NZ to succeed then they need to get them on FTA at a minimum.

They might also need to be creative - give them dispensation to sign household Kiwi rugby union players to drum up interest.

Colk

First Grade
Yes you are correct about the Warriors, very frustrating club. If they can get their shit together even for 5 mins they would be huge in NZ (and Aus, you see the bandwagoners when they are going well). They are the sleeping giant of NZ sport and would be second only to the All Blacks if they went on a golden run for a generation or so.

The benefit of having the Warriors in the NRL is the amount of NZ talent that has filtered through to other NRL clubs. Yes, admittedly the Warriors have produced very little of these themselves, but the presence of the game at a professional level since 1995 has seen a steady increase in participation. The Kiwis are the team that has seen the most benefit of this, winning the Tri-Nations in 1995, the World Cup in 2008, the 4 Nations in 2010, the 4 Nations in 2014 and they are currently the # 1 ranked nation. Prior to 1995, they had zero major trophies in the cabinet.

Are these players born and bred in NZ so is the participation increasing over there. A lot of the successful Kiwi players have lived a lot of their lives and raised in Australia.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Are these players born and bred in NZ so is the participation increasing over there. A lot of the successful Kiwi players have lived a lot of their lives and raised in Australia.
There is definitely an increase in participation from players from over the ditch. Yes, some came at a young age to Australian and learnt their RL here but the Kiwi player pool is massive today compared to the early 90's.

Pippen94

First Grade

Half the league is kiwi. The talent is there. As far as a team outside of Auckland cannibalizing the warrior ur having a laugh..

Colk

First Grade
Half the league is kiwi. The talent is there. As far as a team outside of Auckland cannibalizing the warrior ur having a laugh..

A lot of the Kiwis playing in the NRL have spent a majority of their lives in Australia and not in NZ. If you think that adding a team in NZ is a slam dunk then you are severely underestimating rugby union

I thought the deal with Sky TV had already been sorted through to 2028?

I cannot see Sky TV adding any more money to what they've already agreed to pay.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I thought the deal with Sky TV had already been sorted through to 2028?

I cannot see Sky TV adding any more money to what they've already agreed to pay.
I think either one of three things will happen...

1) The NRL will introduce NZ2 as team 18 in 2028 and that value will be included in the new TV deal

2) The NRL will introduce NZ2 as team 18 before 2028 and that value is already built into the current increase as these discussions were part of the negotiations

3) The NRL will introduce NZ2 as team 18 before 2028 and will go to both their Aus and NZ TV partners and say, now we have more content to sell, the current agreements cover 8 games a week, we now play 9 a week

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
There’s more RL clubs in WA than in Christchurch. What we don’t have is the investment and direct pathway to get our kids into nrl.

re time slots whoever comes in the nrl is going to have an extra time slot to sell. The obvious ones are either Monday night to fta or a Sunday 6pm or 7pm to fox. Perth is ideal for the Sunday spot as it means a family friendly ko time which will create decent crowds for the game to look good. same if you put Perth in the Saturday 7.30pm or 8pm slot.

Re nz tv the recent Increase after two stagnant deals seems to have been mainly due to the competition from streaming for the rights, not some new found love of rl from sky nz. unless that competitive tension is there for next rights another nz team doesn’t guarantee any extra $’s.

end of day we only have one bid currently and that’s from a bloke who managed to turn the second biggest rugby league club in the world into a bankrupt homeless third division amateurs. Team, do really want him in charge of an nrl club?

The biggest issue people, seem to. Be ignoring is Christchurch or Wellington are not big enough for an nrl club as a secondary sport and another club in Auckland would be a disaster for warriors. Nz2 sounds great on paper but in reality it is fraught with problems at this time.

Last edited:
I think either one of three things will happen...

1) The NRL will introduce NZ2 as team 18 in 2028 and that value will be included in the new TV deal

2) The NRL will introduce NZ2 as team 18 before 2028 and that value is already built into the current increase as these discussions were part of the negotiations

3) The NRL will introduce NZ2 as team 18 before 2028 and will go to both their Aus and NZ TV partners and say, now we have more content to sell, the current agreements cover 8 games a week, we now play 9 a week
Sky Sports NZ won't pay extra unless there's a bidding war between them and Spark Sports. A few years ago Colin Smith said RL games in NZ only draw about 20k or 30k viewers on Sky Sports. If that's true then they're as valuable as an NRL game is to Ch9 Melbourne.

I don't know what the numbers are for NRL games in NZ as the data isn't publicised, but the NRL website said the game's return after COVID-19 in 2020 drew "healthy" viewership over there.

Whatever the viewing numbers are for NZ, a second NRL team could improve them and grow the game. With Spark Sport bumping up the value of the deal it would be wise to expand into NZ now.

The NBL is going to add a second NZ team to the Bay of Plenty in 2024. I'd love to see the NRL and NBL work together. The Northern Pride should team up with the Cairns Taipans NBL team. A name like Cairns Taipans is better than some generic Yankee brand like Northern Pride.

MugaB

Coach
There’s more RL clubs in WA than in Christchurch. What we don’t have is the investment and direct pathway to get our kids into nrl.

re time slots whoever comes in the nrl is going to have an extra time slot to sell. The obvious ones are either Monday night to fta or a Sunday 6pm or 7pm to fox. Perth is ideal for the Sunday spot as it means a family friendly ko time which will create decent crowds for the game to look good. same if you put Perth in the Saturday 7.30pm or 8pm slot.

Re nz tv the recent Increase after two stagnant deals seems to have been mainly due to the competition from streaming for the rights, not some new found love of rl from sky nz. unless that competitive tension is there for next rights another nz team doesn’t guarantee any extra $’s.

end of day we only have one bid currently and that’s from a bloke who managed to turn the second biggest rugby league club in the world into a bankrupt homeless third division amateurs. Team, do really want him in charge of an nrl club?

The biggest issue people, seem to. Be ignoring is Christchurch or Wellington are not big enough for an nrl club as a secondary sport and another club in Auckland would be a disaster for warriors. Nz2 sounds great on paper but in reality it is fraught with problems at this time.
Another poo poo post from the mayor of WA, please the bais is dripping off you