What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to ditch digital arm

NRL scales back digital arm following broadcaster pressure​

By Zoe Samios

October 6, 2021 — 3.53pm

The National Rugby League has bowed to pressure from its media partners and decided to scale down its digital content arm in a move that is expected to result in several redundancies at the organisation.

The shift, led by the NRL’s recently appointed chief customer and digital officer Alexi Baker, is part of an ongoing effort to streamline operations at the NRL to save costs and better serve fans. But it will also be considered a win for the company’s two media partners - Nine Entertainment Co and News Corp Foxtel - which have long expressed frustration about the division and argue the NRL’s own website competes with their digital properties.

Staff at the NRL were informed about the change on Wednesday afternoon and about 10 redundancies are expected to take place over the next few weeks. Staff who appeared at the meeting, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said they were not given the opportunity to ask questions.

Under the plans the NRL will move away from creating news-focused content and work more closely with Nine (which is the owner of this masthead) and News Corp-controlled Foxtel on joint projects. The NRL website will mainly feature highlights and short-form videos that entertain fans instead of breaking news. The NRL was approached for comment but did not respond by deadline.

The NRL Digital Network officially launched in 2018 after the organisation took control of its digital assets from Telstra, an arrangement formed under the terms of its $1 billion broadcasting rights deal with Nine and Foxtel. The deal was a significant change in strategy for the NRL and involved the clubs investing money in digital rather than outsourcing it to media partners.

The network is currently made up of five parts including NRL.com, and sites and apps for the competition’s 16 teams. As of last year, the digital unit employed about 80 staff, including a product and technology arm with designers, developers and engineers who ensure the digital products work for fans. It has a media services division which handles game archives and images taken at matches, digital marketing and social media, a data and insights team, and employs about eight journalists who cover matches and interview players and coaches.

This is the first major change for NRL digital division since the arrival of Ms Baker (who previously led negotiations at Nine), who has undertaken a review of the organisation’s media arm. In late August, the NRL notified high-profile ex players and coaches such as Jamie Soward, Brett Kimmorley, Anthony Seibold and Robbie Farah that the website would no longer feature panel shows.

The restructure comes as the NRL prepares to propose the Redcliffe Dolphins as the expansion team for 2023 after agreeing to a deal with News Corp to inject at least $75 million into the sport over five years. Sources with knowledge of discussions told the Herald earlier this week that the NRL is providing the News Corp-owned Brisbane Broncos will an increase in exclusive matches, which will ultimately reduce the number of free-to-air games.

The NRL is presenting to the 16 clubs on Thursday and will provide them with details on how they plan to finance a 17th team. Any savings generated by the NRL could help with the justification of a new team.

NRL scales back digital arm following broadcaster pressure (smh.com.au)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Amazing how the news feeds from the NRl have dried up on my social media platforms. Not getting anything now, all NRL news is now paywalled news ltd/nine entertainment or Fox stories. I guess thats what they wanted to drive traffic to their sites at the expense of the NRL's platform.

Generalzod

Immortal
Amazing how the news feeds from the NRl have dried up on my social media platforms. Not getting anything now, all NRL news is now paywalled news ltd/nine entertainment or Fox stories. I guess thats what they wanted to drive traffic to their sites at the expense of the NRL's platform.
An Organisation that gave away their valuable own content, Vlandy's is just running the NRL as if his running the horse industry, I f**king hate horse racing.

roofromoz

First Grade
I hope this if anything only accelerates the 'grass roots' reporting, like League Unlimited, to fill the void. Fox Sports is clickbait rubbish, the Nine / SMH partnership will be be generally shitcanning from behind a paywall. The only one good bit of content from Nine is now gone with Sterlo retiring.

A lot of clubs seem to have either official or unofficial podcasts - the unofficial ones are better as it is more unfiltered.

I hope this if anything only accelerates the 'grass roots' reporting, like League Unlimited, to fill the void. Fox Sports is clickbait rubbish, the Nine / SMH partnership will be be generally shitcanning from behind a paywall. The only one good bit of content from Nine is now gone with Sterlo retiring.

A lot of clubs seem to have either official or unofficial podcasts - the unofficial ones are better as it is more unfiltered.
I tried to copy and paste a Fox article the other day. Nope, they have stopped the ability to do that, or they did on that article. You could post the link and everyone could read the link, and Fox get the "click"

siv

First Grade
Who are Code NRL?

They just took over the facebook page of the defunct Big League magazine

I get an email from the NRL telling me about award winning writers and the best sports stories on CODE:

code.PNG

And I ask myself what in the actual f*ck is this sh*t?

Quality journalism and the Courier Mail don't belong in the same sentence.

siv

First Grade
We are headed back to a 1960s style of RL coverage

Wont be long before they also sell things like NSWRL.com match day details

Perth Red

Post Whore
People can get league (and other sports) news via a multitude of different channels, mainly social media. I can’t see many people paying news ltd for substandard journalism
There actually not a lot at the moment that’s not behind a paywall.
foxsports and wwos is about it For regular nrl news.

shame nrl has stopped reporting hits to nrl.com, bet it’s dropped right off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diesel

Referee
There actually not a lot at the moment that’s not behind a paywall.
foxsports and wwos is about it For regular nrl news.

shame nrl has stopped reporting hits to nrl.com, bet it’s dropped right off.
Who checks out WWOS for sports news?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Obviously not that critical lol
In true RL style Mr Anderson (cant not read that in a Matrix voice) was sacked and replaced with a former Ch9 Snr employee!

From Mar 2020
National Rugby League's chief digital officer Alex Alderson, who runs the division, said it is the "cheerleader for the live game".

"It is a significant investment that the game has made but we are seeing the benefits of that," Mr Alderson said of the project, which is currently being injected with $150 million over seven years.

The NRL.com editorial team is small but Mr Alderson said it is one of the more important parts of the operation.

“NRL.com is a critical part of what digital does … it’s a critical part of the overall business," Mr Alderson said. "The journalists who work for us have all signed up to an editorial framework. We really emphasise fairness, accuracy, balance. What’s imperative for us is that fans trust us so that guide is what we do.”

Fast forward to Apr 21. Kind of explains why we didnt get more money from Ch9 despite expansion in a city they previously said they were desperate to get more content in!
'Former Nine Entertainment managing director commercial Alexi Baker has been appointed to the newly created role of NRL chief customer and digital officer, taking on all digital, marketing, and commercial responsibilities.
Ms Baker will also take on responsibilities previously included in CEO Andrew Abdo’s portfolio as chief commercial officer, including broadcast rights agreements and game-day entertainment, but not sponsorship.
With Nine’s then CEO, Hugh Marks, and Nine’s general counsel Rachel Launders, Ms Baker was part of the team that negotiated with the NRL on a new COVID-19 rights deal, securing the media company a discount for the shortened 2020 season and reductions for the final two seasons of the existing agreement.

Ms Baker will now be a key player in future discussions selling NRL broadcast rights, which next come up for free-to-air TV for the 2023 season.'

Perth Red

Post Whore
Plenty of stories on the NRL.com site. As was to be expected really the whingers got it wrong
Really? Yesterday there was only one real news story, the announcement of the new ARLC commissioner. The rest is padding of flashbacks and all stars filler stories. Monday no real news stories, just more flashbacks and some padding about hakas and war dances, sunday one story about the new Victorian HQ, Saturday nothing. Its very clear looking at the content now available that all real news stories have gone and they are only allowed to write about the players or games. Foxsports is the big winner, my social media is being blasted with NRL stories from them since VLandys killed off the NRL news team.

Iamback

Coach
Really? Yesterday there was only one real news story, the announcement of the new ARLC commissioner. The rest is padding of flashbacks and all stars filler stories. Monday no real news stories, just more flashbacks and some padding about hakas and war dances, sunday one story about the new Victorian HQ, Saturday nothing. Its very clear looking at the content now available that all real news stories have gone and they are only allowed to write about the players or games. Foxsports is the big winner, my social media is being blasted with NRL stories from them since VLandys killed off the NRL news team.

So the interview with the Parra captains?
Or the Harold Matts and SG Ball highlights doesn't count?

Today alone a Brenko Lee interview
Bailey Simonssen interview too

What news stories are they missing out on during the off season?