What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs. South Sydney Rabbitohs Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
South Sydney Rabbitohs vs. Brisbane Broncos
Accor Stadium, Thursday 5 May 2022
Kick Off: 7:55pm

SOU2022TEAM.png
1. Blake Taaffe 2. Alex Johnston 3. Isaiah Tass 4. Campbell Graham 5. Josh Mansour 6. Cody Walker 7. Lachlan Ilias 8. Tevita Tatola 9. Damien Cook 10. Thomas Burgess 11. Keaon Koloamatangi 12. Jai Arrow 13. Cameron Murray

Interchange: 14. Siliva Havili 15. Hame Sele 16. Liam Knight 17. Jaxson Paulo

Reserves: 18. Trent Peoples 19. Taane Milne 20. Richard Kennar 21. Peter Mamouzelos 22. Dean Hawkins 23. Josiah Karapani 24. Davvy Moale

BRI2022TEAM.png
1. Te Maire Martin 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Corey Jensen 9. Billy Walters 10. Patrick Carrigan 11. TC Robati 12. Jordan Riki 13. Kobe Hetherington

Interchange: 14. Cory Paix 15. Rhys Kennedy 16. Thomas Flegler 17. Keenan Palasia

Reserves: 18. Brenko Lee 19. Jordan Pereira 20. Ryan James 21. Ezra Mam 22. Ethan Quai-Ward 23. Logan Bayliss-Brow 24. Jake Turpin

Big Pete

Referee
Both Haas and Capewell will miss this week's clash against the Rabbitohs.

In some good news, Carrigan will make an early return from injury. He'll be hoined by TC Robati who returns to the team after a stint in Queensland Cup.

The big focus this week is Adam Reynolds coming up against his old club. Reynolds played 231 games for South Sydney so this is a big occassion for him at his old home ground. Brisbane did manage to win their last encounter against Souths without him but they haven't had much joy in Sydney against the Rabbitohs. Their last three encounters have seen the Rabbits win 35-6, 28-10 and 38-6. After coming off two morale boosting wins at home, this game shapes up as a very critical moment in the season.

I'll be very interested to see how Kotoni Staggs responds after last week's performance. He was under a lot of pressure to perform and right when the Broncos needed him to come up with a big play he delivered. This week he's up against former Bronco Isaiah Tass who was very solid in Souths last victory. If Brisbane are to win, you'd have to think Staggs would have to win that battle and well.

hellteam

First Grade
Very enjoyable. Some general thoughts:

- I think that's the best I've ever seen Carrigan and Flegler play. Last two weeks Flegler looks like he's gone out with the mantra of no mistakes, no penalties. It's working.
- Certainly did not miss Haas. I wonder if the football department are thinking twice about offering him the mega contract. All the forwards stepped up and made up for his workrate and then some. The line speed was much much quicker. I wonder if that has anything to do with Haas not being there.
- Robati was excellent on the left. Thought this could be a real weakness going into the game but great effort. Could have set up a try or two if we had players pushing up with him.
- We need to get Staggs more involved. The block plays on the right aren't necessary, the timing was off tonight and we were struggling to get the ball past TMM. A simple pass to Staggs is all we need, get him 1 on 1 with the opposition centre. If we insist on the block play we should look to get Staggs as the ball receiver on the second man play, as a variation with TMM pushing wider.
- The more I see of him the more I think Cobbo won't end up a fullback. That's fine though, he can be an elite centre/winger. Once he gets more experience I could see him and Herbie swapping positions, with Cobbo at left centre.

Showtime

Juniors
Really impressive defensive effort particularly when they were inside our 20. I thought we dominated them in the forwards.

- Cobbo growing in confidence is fun to watch
- Carrigan is a star
- Flegler played one of the best games I’ve seen him play and his offloads killed souths
- TMM adds so much class and better decision making to the backline
- Best game I’ve seen Robati play
- still not sold on Walters at 9, I think Paix is a better option with Walters at 14
- The bench have been so good over the last couple of weeks, Flegler, Paix, Palasia and Kennedy.

The thing I’m most impressed about is the depth we seem to have at the club at the moment. When fully fit there’s going to be some tough decisions around the forward pack and who starts with Haas and who makes the bench.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well Reece was not ready either for your lot.

I am going to Davies Park on Sunday just to watch, what a player.

Big Pete

Referee
Well Reece was not ready either for your lot.

I am going to Davies Park on Sunday just to watch, what a player.
Considering Reece missed the majority of 2020 going under the knife and signed with the Warriors before the 2021 season started I'm not entirely sure how he was supposed to be ready.

Ezra is a good prospect, but he still needs to develop his game to be less high maintenance. If the Broncos bring him in, they'd do him a massive disservice by not having the right players around him.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hey keep your secret weapon.

If you make the eight, he will kill it.

Inglis had to go to Melbourne to get a run.

If you aver saw him playing for the devils, my god he was just awesome, I think only 17, but better than every other player.

Anyways keep in him reggies please.

ALX25

Bench
He is ready

Ezra has just been announced in the QLD U19 squad. I suspect he will be named in the final squad barring injury. I hope he dominates for the state and shows every other NRL club out there that he is ready.

Big Pete

Referee
Hey keep your secret weapon.

If you make the eight, he will kill it.

Inglis had to go to Melbourne to get a run.

If you aver saw him playing for the devils, my god he was just awesome, I think only 17, but better than every other player.

Anyways keep in him reggies please.
What do you mean he had to go to Melbourne to get a run? He was signed as a 15 year old and moved to North Brisbane to play for the Devils who were the Storm's affiliate.

Big Pete

Referee
Ezra has just been announced in the QLD U19 squad. I suspect he will be named in the final squad barring injury. I hope he dominates for the state and shows every other NRL club out there that he is ready.
Hopefully they keep him in their thoughts come November 2023 then.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hey sue me, I just want to see him in first grade.

Even for your team

When it happens, just know I will love it.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
It sure was great timing for flegler and Carrigan to have their best games in Broncos colours

Flegler in particular
I have laid plenty of shit on Carrigan but he finally showed me why there have been all these wraps on him

Great to see cobbo in open space, beautiful runner

And of course Herbie
Yet another sensational performance

lynx000

Juniors
It sure was great timing for flegler and Carrigan to have their best games in Broncos colours

Flegler in particular
I have laid plenty of shit on Carrigan but he finally showed me why there have been all these wraps on him

Great to see cobbo in open space, beautiful runner

And of course Herbie
Yet another sensational performance
And, Herbie passed the ball.

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos 32 (Cobbo 2, Oates, Reynolds, Farnworth tries; Reynolds 6/6 goals) def. South Sydney Rabbitohs 12

5-4

It was a very committed win from an ever-improving Broncos outfit. While their attack was clunky at times, their defensive resolve on the line was very impressive with a number of Souths raids thwarted by some special defensive plays. In particular there were two plays from Kobe Hetherington and Herbie Farnworth that rate a mention.

Kobe managed to force a turn-over from Cameron Murray after Souths had made a huge break and had the Broncos on the back-foot. Then later in the game Taane Milne had crossed the line but a last ditch effort from Farnworth forced the ball loose.

Adam Reynolds had a strong game against his former club. Souths failed to defuse two of his bombs which led directly to points and he scored one himself when he put himself in a position to accept a late offload. His experience was on show through out the match in a memorable evening for the skipper.

Heading into the game a bit was made about the loss of Payne Haas and Kurt Capewell. Brisbane were expected to miss both players only for the returning Patrick Carrigan and TC Robati to step up in their stead. Both players were among the best players on the park with Robati in particular doing a wonderful job in defence on Cody Walker. It was easily Teui's best performance of the season.

Perhaps the most satisfying moment of the game was towards the end. Souths were launching another raid on the Broncos line only for Cody Walker to fumble a pass into Cobbo's hands. Cobbo showed tremendous pace to get past Alex Johnston and out-speed the cavalry as six Souths players chased in vain as Cobbo went 90m to score the best try of his young NRL career.

To put the cherry on top it was reported that the Broncos are in the box seat to sign the promising outside back despite interest from the Dolphins.