What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs. Newcastle Knights Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Newcastle Knights vs. Brisbane Broncos
McDonald Jones Stadium, Thursday 19 May 2022
Kick Off: 7:50pm

NEW2022TEAM.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Edrick Lee 3. Enari Tuala 4. Bradman Best 5. Dominic Young 6. Anthony Milford 7. Adam Clune 8. David Klemmer 9. Chris Randall 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 13. Mitchell Barnett

Interchange: 14. Phoenix Crossland 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Leo Thompson 17. Mathew Croker

Reserves: 18. Tex Hoy 19. Simi Sasagi 20. Dane Gagai 21. Jake Clifford 22. Sauaso Sue 23. Pasami Saulo 24. Brodie Jones

BRI2022TEAM.png

1. Te Maire Martin 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Corey Jensen 9. Billy Walters 10. Payne Haas 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange: 14. Cory Paix 15. Kobe Hetherington 16. Thomas Flegler 17. Keenan Palasia

Reserves: 18. Brenko Lee 19. TC Robati 20. Rhys Kennedy 21. Ezra Mam 22. Jordan Pereira 23. Ryan James 24. David Mead​

Big Pete

Referee
Back in action tomorrow night with the Broncos taking on the Newcastle Knights.

Of course all the discussion heading into the game has centred around the return of Anthony Milford. Milford played 154 games for the club and after a strong start where he played a key role in the Broncos 2015 Grand Final appearance he struggled to recapture the same form. By the end of his stint he was struggling to make the NRL side and it seemed like the Broncos had dodged a bullet after he was charged with assault in the off-season. Those charges were eventually dropped and after serving a four match suspension handed down by the NRL, Milford will line-up for the Knights.

It's a timely move for Milford who joins Newcastle right after they snapped a 7 game losing streak and they get closer to full strength. That should benefit Milford who is always at his best when he can play off the back of others instead of being relied upon to come up with the key play.

Meanwhile for the Broncos there was some discussion in the lead up about the health of Te Maire Martin. Martin sustained a hip injury against the Manly Sea Eagles and he failed to train on Monday with Cobbo lining up at fullback. However he was able to train later in the week and appears to be ready to go.

Brisbane are riding a high right now after winning four straight matches for the first time since 2017. They're also coming off their biggest win which incidentally also took place in 2017 (54-0 vs. Gold Coast Round 22). There is plenty of speculation about which players could be playing Origin with Corey Oates, Kotoni Staggs, Selwyn Cobbo, Payne Haas, Kurt Capewell, Patrick Carrigan and Thomas Flegler all in the mix for selection. While he is incredibly unlikely to displace Nathan Cleary, Adam Reynolds has been touted as the buy of the year which is the first time since 2015 the Broncos have featured in these type of discussions.

Still, it's got all the classic ingredients of an ambush. The Knights are getting stronger on paper, it's an away game for the Broncos and they haven't won at McDonald Jones since (you guessed it) 2017. Brisbane have gone in as the underdogs these past three weeks, the question is can they get themselves up for this game?

I think one player that has to step up for the Broncos is Jordan Riki. He should be lining up against Anthony Milford and the Broncos would be foolish not to target him in defence and play off the back of those rucks. Milford was a weak link in the Broncos defence and they'll want to make his life as uncomfortable as possible.

The Broncos forwards in general will want to aim up for this. Daniel Saifiti and David Klemmer will both see this as an opportunity to stake their claims for a Blues jersey coming up against Payne Haas and the Knights play their best footy when the forwards lead the charge. They've struggled to raise the intensity for the majority of the season with Saifiti struggling with a leg injury he picked up in the pre-season but it appeared they may have flicked a switch in the second half against the Bulldogs.

Big Pete

Referee
Adam Reynolds has been ruled out with Ezra Mam to debut.

That changes the complexion of the game dramatically.

Leaguenutter

Juniors
A future superstar debuts tonight! He's a gun, hopefully the Broncs forwards lay a platform for him. Reynolds is a big loss, he's in career best form, is Kevvie resting him perhaps?

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos 36 (Cobbo 2, Walters, Riki, Oates tries; Staggs 6/7 goals) def. Newcastle Knights 12

7-4

I usually like to hold off until I watch a replay but considering I still have to give my thoughts on the Round 10 game I thought I'd get in early.

It was shaping to be a long night for the Broncos. On top of losing Reynolds on game day, their fill-in captain Capewell came off after 10 minutes after copping a stray elbow to the face. With Brisbane conceding some soft penalties it seemed like Newcastle would run over the top of them. However the Broncos produced some strong efforts on their line and saved a number of tries when it appeared the Knights were about to score for all money.

Without Reynolds, the Broncos played a far more conservative brand of footy. They largely just played it through the middle and opted to kick to corners to help get in the arm wrestle. When opportunities eventually came they were guilty of coming up with inopportune errors or unnecessary early tackle kicks that failed to test the Newcastle defence.

Their opening try came off a nice face pass from Gamble to Capewell which put him one on one with Milford. I thought Milford may line up on the left, but he stayed on the right which is where he's played in recent times. From dummy half debutant Ezra Mam scooted and knowing that he held the advantage, threw a fantastic speculator and Billy did well not only to support but take control of the football before grounding it.

I thought the game turned for Brisbane when Selwyn Cobbo and Corey Oates started finding space and lifting the tempo of the ruck for the Broncos. Meanwhile when they started targeting Dominic Young under the high ball, Newcastle lost his runs that were so pivotal in the first half and the Broncos began to take more control of the game.

It eventually led to points with Tyson Gamble combining with Jordan Riki for a simple try. Gamble rides a line when he combines with his second row but it's become a potent option for the Bronco and it was something I wanted to see from the Broncos in the pre-game.

If there was one disappointment for the Broncos it was that when they took a 14-6 lead, they came up with a number of errors instead of pressing their advantage. Even when they made it 12-6, Palasia made an error off the kick off and right as they should have put the game to bed they conceded a try to Kalyn Ponga who accepted a great inside pass off a really promising young forward in Croker.

I thought the Broncos were very fortunate with the Cobbo try. Granted there's some technicalities to the obstruction rule that's open to interpretation but to the naked eye it appeared Martin ran behind Riki who had over-run the pass before giving it to Kotoni who made the break. I'll be curious to hear the fall-out from Annesley but as a long-time fan I thought Newcastle would line up for goal and make it a 14-all game.

It's a huge discussion point of the game and I'm sure we'll hear more over the course of the weekend.

There was another controversial decision right on half-time involving Dane Gagai. Gagai had been awarded a try on half-time only for replays to show he had lost control of possession and failed to regather while attempting to ground the ball. While I thought it was a stroke of luck for the Broncos since Newcastle had done all the hard-work it was clearly a knock on as per the rules.

Brisbane fans may recall before the 2020 competition was suspended that Annesley made a big song and dance about how Kotoni Staggs was incorrectly awarded a try in their 20-18 win against Souths because there was one frame that showed when Staggs was in the process of grounding the ball there was a brief seperation as he opened his hand to ground it. Staggs had more control of the ball that night than Gagai did, so the decision didn't come off as a shock.

From that point, Brisbane were able to ramp home their advantage and scored a further three tries to cap off a strong win.

Cobbo was a deserved man of the match but there were plenty of strong performances on the night. Kotoni Staggs continues to impress with his defensive efforts, he had a great battle with Bradman Best who unfortunately dislocated his elbow mid-way through the second half. The forwards also laid a strong platform with Haas, Carrigan & Flegler leading the way.

The much anticipated debut of Ezra Mam also showed some promise. Despite a nervous first half, Ezra held his own defensively and improved as the game wore on ending the night with 3 try assists and some very promising runs. Watching him, I could understand why Kevie didn't turn to him when the Broncos were desperate for a result but you can also see why they locked him up for 3 years.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
3 try assists, what a debut!

Will look much better outside Reynolds

I do however think Tyson deserves his spot, he was very good tonight.

Ezra will have to wait, but he is a star.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I also have to say I think Billy has been great at dummy half, probably hates all the tackling he has to do now, but that change has made quite the difference.

Well played Kevin.

Poor Bradman will never be his best again.

lynx000

Juniors
3 try assists, what a debut!

Will look much better outside Reynolds

I do however think Tyson deserves his spot, he was very good tonight.

Ezra will have to wait, but he is a star.
Very shaky first half by Mam, a lot of errors or poor options, but he settled in the second half, started to run a bit more, and took better options. I think you are right @Mr Angry, there is a pretty good player developing there.

Big Pete

Referee
Another controversial moment that went the Broncos way was the Jordan Riki try. It appeared Dominic Young lost the ball backwards before Farnworth was eventually able to regather. Unless there was a touch from Gagai or Gee ruled a ruck interference penalty (none of which appeared on the official stats) then Brisbane scored on a tackle they shouldn't have had.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Glorious victory

The side looks good on paper these days which is nice
Especially the back line which is one of the best in the comp now