What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cant wait for the bears to come back, and see the roosters flail at junior level, probably suck up to CC again
roosters already have jnr team pathways in gosford. From what people have said about lack of jnrs in NS central coast is probably a much more productive link up for them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep... so what do they need the bears for then?
First phase to taking over lower northern Sydney lol
lotsbof nrl clubs have 2 or more second tier link ups. There’s a lot more second toer clubs than nrl ones so many have the luxury of having two.
if bears doesn’t work out WA should be talking to all of them to see if any are interested in a pathways partnership.

Wb1234

Referee
First phase to taking over lower northern Sydney lol
lotsbof nrl clubs have 2 or more second tier link ups. There’s a lot more second toer clubs than nrl ones so many have the luxury of having two.
if bears doesn’t work out WA should be talking to all of them to see if any are interested in a pathways partnership.
Roosters can’t even take over the eastern suburbs let alone the north shore

Wb1234

Referee
Even Souths have more supporters in the eastern suburbs than the roosters...
Im sick of hearing the warratahs, swans are battling in the same area... BS, souths would be a better "city" CBD representative of sydney than the chooks
They would

but the roosters have their property assets even if they had zero fans they would be fine

the new stadium will keep chooks at 15k

I’m hoping south’s can do 25k but their current form is a worry

MugaB

Coach
They would

but the roosters have their property assets even if they had zero fans they would be fine

the new stadium will keep chooks at 15k

I’m hoping south’s can do 25k but their current form is a worry
Chooks aren't doing much better

In form my arse

With the new stadium they will attract all the posh snobs especially to the corporate boxes. The boxes at the old sfs were terrible they were behind the sticks or just normal seats on the second level. I suspect they will get a lot of members going too
The old boxes didn't stop onionball fans from filling the SFS 20 years ago.

Anyway back on topic. I saw in the News Limited papers an article about bustling Billy Moore and Mark Graham talking about the Perth/Bears merger.
What did it say?

I'd imagine Billy Moore would be in favour because he played for them.

Last edited:
I think I speak for the majority of rugby league fans when I say I'd love to see the North Sydney Bears back in the NRL.

A generation of fans lost to the game when the Bears were chopped 23 years ago would immediately return and grand old North Sydney Oval restored to prime time after a couple of decades of near anonymity.
And who doesn’t want to see the old Manly-Norths rivalry re-ignited, the animosity at nuclear level after the disastrous Northern Eagles marriage.
Whoever wrote the pre-nup for that one was wearing maroon and white and crossing fingers behind the back.
Apart from Manly fans with hate running through their veins, you won't find a dissenting voice against a Bears revival.
ARL Commissioner Peter V'Landys recently went on the record to say he'd love to see Norths re-born, claiming he is regularly stopped by fans asking when they will return.

But here's the thing.
The Bears have a proud history stretching back 114 years old and have repositioned themselves as a competitive force in the NSW Cup, acting as an important feeder club to the Roosters.
Their colours, heritage and history mean plenty to a lot of people.
They should not be seen as the drunk on the dancefloor, moving from would-be suitor to would-be suitor in the hope of finding someone to take them home.
The opposite is true.

An 18th club will be introduced to the NRL in the next few years and consortiums are falling over themselves to align with the Bears, knowing they are riding strong coattails.

In recent times, North Sydney has been linked with partnerships to hopeful NRL franchises in Queensland, WA, New Zealand and the NSW Central Coast.

They are not welded to any particular model and a subtle change of direction last year - the club dropped the "North" and "Sydney" from its official logo and went with "Bears 1908" – was a sign nothing is off the table and the route to resurrection won't be dictated by compass.

Norths chairman Daniel Dickson, a switched-on operator with his finger on the NRL pulse, explained to fans: "We made the change to the logo to ensure we are being the team of the people.
Being more agile and a team of the people, the change to the logo was well received.

"We know the NRL do not want a Sydney-based team in its totality at North Sydney Oval all the time.

"We won’t be kicking anyone away from talking to us about potential ventures with the Bears."

And here comes the really important bit.

"The logo, the colours, the history, the heritage, the legends, the song…everything we've got at the Bears will not be prostituted," Dickson continued.

"That will never be for someone to sell, change, manipulate. Our history and heritage will go for another 114 years."

What's not to like?

"We just want to make sure that geographically we feel we are the team of the people, and we can take that to the people where the game needs to go," he said.

That's some delusional revisionist bullshit!

Us Queenslanders never wanted this failed club to relocate to our shores.

North Sydney tried to buy into the Titans but were emphatically told by the Burleigh Bears to go away or risk being sued. That put an end to a crazy proposition that no one in Queensland wanted.

Most rugby league fans wish this failed club and its few ambassadors would just go away and take their pills.

Sponsorship & money is in Sydney

The fans aren't, hence the shithouse crowd at the SCG last night for a blockbuster game between The Turkeys and The Panthers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Be an interesting one for bears. Presuming the nrl doesn’t dictate where the next club comes from and goes to an open bid do the bears go with the strongest bid which will likely be from perth but give up more control for more certainty of getting in, or go with a weaker nz bid but have a bigger say in the club and take the risk that they aren’t enough to get nz in over perth and miss out yet again?

MugaB

Coach
Be an interesting one for bears. Presuming the nrl doesn’t dictate where the next club comes from and goes to an open bid do the bears go with the strongest bid which will likely be from perth but give up more control for more certainty of getting in, or go with a weaker nz bid but have a bigger say in the club and take the risk that they aren’t enough to get nz in over perth and miss out yet again?
The bears will most likely want NZ2 because they'll be the ones running the show over there, where as Perth will be control

Pippen94

First Grade

There's no Perth bid yet (maybe no nz2 either). How can one be stronger than other?!
Looking strictly at location nz2 bring both fox & skytv money.