What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Fullback of the Last 15 Years

Favorite fullback of past 15 years

• Jarrod Sammut

• Lachlan Coote

• Matt Moylan

• Dylan Edwards

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fangs

Coach
Moylan was the best to watch from that list.

Though Peter Jorgensen was the true elite fullback we all loved.

Crashtest

Juniors
All I can remember about Sammut is he was a scrawny little thing.Then one pre season he showed up with long flowing hair with a rig and tatts to match.
Might have even had bleached blonde hair one time. I think he won us a few matches.
I still remember that chest tattoo! It was supposed to be carpe diem, but the tattoo artist spelt it incorrectly.

Maybe that was why he never seized the day in the NRL.

Iamback

Coach
How many game winning field goals he kick for us? Be close to 10. That's not exactly a flat track.

And he's always been a 6

The fact we didn't beat many top sides while he was here isn't all on Hook.
RCG has shown at Parra to be the same

Girds89

Bench
Moylans effort plays and saving tries is laughable in comparison to dyl. It was basically non existent.

He was a great ball player when fit and he was clutch. He could deliver a big play.

But he wasnt the sort of blole who youd want to did in the trenches with and you knew hed have your back no matter what.

I think it was @age.s in the other thread that put it best.

Most fbs are valued primarily by how good they are in attack. Turbo latrell ponga etc etc. If it was the reverse and they were valued on how many tries they save and all the little effort plays dylan would be on 1.5 mil a season.

But thats not how the game is fans love to see the flashy stuff like moylan kicking clutch field goals. People are quick to forget his goal line d and try saving was very very average. Moylan kicked some nice field goals in his time. But edwards has made more try saving tackles this year than all the field goals moyza kicked for us.

I wouldnt switch dylan for any fb in the comp. I mean the blokes on probs 500k lol. Its the biggest steal of a signing..

I cant think of a better value for money player in the comp in any position?

Maybe Franze played at the back for a few games.

On the balance of all squads and cattle available, John Lang was the best coach by a mile.

Sattlers greatest tackle of all time was because the heart controlled the physical. Sheer adrenalin, pristine league, overdose warning.

The roosters tried to bash you senseless.

I was trying to protect the cat from Morley

Murraymob1

Juniors
Wesser first daylight next.wesser had it all sizzling speed support play sensational..that certainly is not a blight on Edwards who holds his own in any era

Jono078

Referee
Got to admit the results aren't as close as I imagined they would be.

Lachlan Coote not much love but it is fair to say he did his best work at the Cowboys.

I have fond memories of Sammut, thought he was super skillful if not a bit undersized and a little ill-disciplined.

I was going to include Gordon but I thought he was mostly on the wing for the Panthers.

soc123_au

Staff member

Lachlan Coote not much love but it is fair to say he did his best work at the Cowboys.

I have fond memories of Sammut, thought he was super skillful if not a bit undersized and a little ill-disciplined.

I was going to include Gordon but I thought he was mostly on the wing for the Panthers.
Coote was amazing in 2010. Poor bloke just couldn't stay on the field for us though. I was wrapped for him when he won a comp at the Cows. It also probably hurts him in the ratings that he kept Gordon out of the fullback spot. At his peak he could have been the best 1 in the comp.

From your list I'd pick Dylan as my favourite. The guy is all effort. He may even surpass Wesser by the end of his career.

Girds89

Bench
Wesser was our greatest ever fb.

Theres only two panthers at their best who could score from absolute nothing that ive seen in my time. With no room to work with that could just burn players with pure speed. MJ and Wesser.

Edwards wont ever be the kimd of player wesser was. He is just not that style.

But hes probably the hardest working and most dedicated panther i can remember in my time. He just does so much work on and off the ball..

So many people underestimate the importance of what he does for our team. Like yeo is the important link man in attack..dyl is the all important cog in defence. He directs the team perfectly. He knows when to jump up in the line for support. Hes kick returns and meters gained are the best by far for fbs in the comp. Hes safe as houses.. hes regularly makes try savers sometimes a few a game. Hes ball playing is improving all the time..

Im not sure he will ever overtake wesser. If he can continue to perform at the level he is now than maybe.

Amos roberts could also score from anywhere but he wasnt here that long.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Wesser was our greatest ever fb.

Theres only two panthers at their best who could score from absolute nothing that ive seen in my time. With no room to work with that could just burn players with pure speed. MJ and Wesser.

Edwards wont ever be the kimd of player wesser was. He is just not that style.

But hes probably the hardest working and most dedicated panther i can remember in my time. He just does so much work on and off the ball..

So many people underestimate the importance of what he does for our team. Like yeo is the important link man in attack..dyl is the all important cog in defence. He directs the team perfectly. He knows when to jump up in the line for support. Hes kick returns and meters gained are the best by far for fbs in the comp. Hes safe as houses.. hes regularly makes try savers sometimes a few a game. Hes ball playing is improving all the time..

Im not sure he will ever overtake wesser. If he can continue to perform at the level he is now than maybe.

Amos roberts could also score from anywhere but he wasnt here that long.
Edwards had already played more good seasons than Wesser

Kilkenny

Coach
Edwards had already played more good seasons than Wesser
That’s a dumb silly statement if ever there was one.

.Wesser is Penriths leading try scorer of all time with 113 tries so given that I’m sure he had some good seasons particularly given some were when we weren't exactly heavyweights.

I think Edwards on his current form may be the more complete fullback but for sheer speed, try scoring ability it is a no brainer Wesser is Penriths greatest fullback of all time.

Smug Panther

First Grade
That’s a dumb silly statement if ever there was one.

.Wesser is Penriths leading try scorer of all time with 113 tries so given that I’m sure he had some good seasons particularly given some were when we weren't exactly heavyweights.

I think Edwards on his current form may be the more complete fullback but for sheer speed, try scoring ability it is a no brainer Wesser is Penriths greatest fullback of all time.
Wesser's peak was one of the shortest I've ever seen

Kilkenny

Coach
Wesser's peak was one of the shortest I've ever seen
113 tries really short peak.

In a side where we were contenders for two seasons basically.

You really makes some silly statements sometimes, the guy was a freak just give him the credit he deserves. A Panthers immortal, super player.

Gordon played about 21 games at FB here. A few at centre. While he played most games here as a winger his talent was better than a finisher.
2010 was probably his career year. Split time between wing and FB.
He did his knee after that and never reached those 2010 heights again.
I still remember his game against Souths of that year. He had a night out and crashed over for his 3rd try near full time to break most points in a match for us, 30 points.
A record that stood till Cleary broke it in 2019.

soc123_au

Staff member
113 tries really short peak.

In a side where we were contenders for two seasons basically.

You really makes some silly statements sometimes, the guy was a freak just give him the credit he deserves. A Panthers immortal, super player.
Wesser was God tier in 03 and 04. Other than that he had some great games, and some shockers. One of my sons who turns 21 on Tuesday is his namesake, so I'm obviously a fan, but I agree with @Smug Panther his peak window was pretty short.

Munky

Coach
Wesser was God tier in 03 and 04. Other than that he had some great games, and some shockers. One of my sons who turns 21 on Tuesday is his namesake, so I'm obviously a fan, but I agree with @Smug Panther his peak window was pretty short.

The entire 03 side shat the bed from 05 onwards.

Really bizarre looking back since the 05 side still had a huge amount of the 03 GF team.