What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Fullback of the Last 15 Years

Favorite fullback of past 15 years

• Jarrod Sammut

• Lachlan Coote

• Matt Moylan

• Dylan Edwards

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kilkenny

Coach
Wesser was God tier in 03 and 04. Other than that he had some great games, and some shockers. One of my sons who turns 21 on Tuesday is his namesake, so I'm obviously a fan, but I agree with @Smug Panther his peak window was pretty short.
What part of a 113 tries in 170 odd appearances are you missing.

The team was successful for two seasons Rhys Wesser was successful for most of his ten seasons with us.

How many tries would Rhys Wesser score in this current team, I would suggest double and would have scored close or over two hundred.

Rhys is not Dylan Edwards . Entirely different player. Perhaps if a Dylan Edwards can have another three or four injury free seasons we can then have a debate about who was or is better. I love Dylan Edwards I think he is an amazing player but he has some way to go to eclipse what Rhys achieved over the course of his ten years at our club.

The Realist

Juniors
Prime Michael Gordon Trumps them all. He was an outstanding defender, easily as good as Edwards. He was quicker, more elusive and more skilful.

That dudes career was ruined by Matt Elliot who understood too late what a weapon he had. That and numerous ankle and leg injuries really cruelled him.

Just imagine what he'd be like under our current medical, Strength and conditioning and coaching staff?

The Realist

Juniors
I still remember that chest tattoo! It was supposed to be carpe diem, but the tattoo artist spelt it incorrectly.

Maybe that was why he never seized the day in the NRL.

No, it was Justify your existence with it spelt wrongly...existance

He got shipped off pretty quick when we was caught out shagging Matt Elliots (stunningly gorgeous) daughter whilst dating Club Captain Luke Lewis's sister.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Wesser was God tier in 03 and 04. Other than that he had some great games, and some shockers. One of my sons who turns 21 on Tuesday is his namesake, so I'm obviously a fan, but I agree with @Smug Panther his peak window was pretty short.
My oldest is about to turn 18... and I thought I was getting old... :eek:

Whino

Bench
Wesser's last 2 seasons were his worst. Not surprisingly both were Elliott years.
He almost gave the game away after a few false starts and injuries before 2001.
2002 was his break out year. He torn the Northern Eagles to shreds in the last game of the year.
03/04 were career years. He scored anywhere on the field those years. Rhys Lightening.
05 was ok. 06 better but not as good as 03.
The last two years are forgettable. Everything was down run metres, line breaks and tries.

soc123_au

Staff member
What part of a 113 tries in 170 odd appearances are you missing.

The team was successful for two seasons Rhys Wesser was successful for most of his ten seasons with us.

How many tries would Rhys Wesser score in this current team, I would suggest double and would have scored close or over two hundred.

Rhys is not Dylan Edwards . Entirely different player. Perhaps if a Dylan Edwards can have another three or four injury free seasons we can then have a debate about who was or is better. I love Dylan Edwards I think he is an amazing player but he has some way to go to eclipse what Rhys achieved over the course of his ten years at our club.
I'm not missing any of it. The original question was "favourite fullback of the last 15 years" So really unless you rate 07-08 Wesser ahead of the rest he doesn't belong in the conversation.

If we go back further then he is still the goat as far as Panthers fullbacks are concerned. If you read my post I did say that Edwards could surpass him at some point, that point hasn't arrived yet and it remains to be seen if it ever does. In attack it's never going to be close, but I do think Dylan is a more complete player.

In Wessers time he spent the first few years in and out of the team, the talent was obvious, but he was wildly inconsistent. He never owned the position until 2001 where he was one of the very few shining lights in a horrible season. He still had a few really bad games in him. 2002 he was also very good and iirc was starting to be more consistant. 03-04 he was a freak, but after that he started to decline.

Rating players is purely opinion and we will all judge things based on our own perceptions and using our own benchmarks. Rhys and Dylan have both been a part of 2 very different but successful teams. Their individual strengths have played a huge part in making those teams what they are.

soc123_au

Staff member
07-08 was terrible for many players. Just look at what happened to Luke Priddis.
images

BossleyPanther

Juniors
That’s a dumb silly statement if ever there was one.

.Wesser is Penriths leading try scorer of all time with 113 tries so given that I’m sure he had some good seasons particularly given some were when we weren't exactly heavyweights.

I think Edwards on his current form may be the more complete fullback but for sheer speed, try scoring ability it is a no brainer Wesser is Penriths greatest fullback of all time.
Watch 2002, watch the Challenge cup, and parts of 2004 and 2005. Edwards has 3 seasons already of quality.